Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am looking into buying an F-Pace, but as things presently stand I could only afford the P250 rather than the D300. I'm a little worried that with the P250 the car may be a little underpowered. I note it has a 0-100km of 7.3 seconds, whereas a similarly priced (at least where I live) Audi Q5 TFSI 45 has a 0-100km of 6.3 seconds, which suggests to me a much snappier engine (noting the D300 is 0-100km in 6.4 seconds).

Is this a valid concern? Am I placing too much weight on this metric - for example is it right that the Jag might still be more fun to drive than the Audi even with the slower engine? It otherwise seems to be such an excellent car.

Would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
7.3 secs sounds enough to me, I just came over to F-Pace (albeit the P400e which is very powerful) from a BMW 520i that had 0-62mph at 7.9secs. This speed had enough power to get me out of trouble if need be or ‘express’ myself. For context, I am a blue light driver, so regularly drive spiritedly; I reckon it sounds okay IMO, especially if engaging dynamic/sport mode etc.

Are you able to test drive P250 anywhere local? Youtube reviews will give a good idea too…

·
Registered
762 Posts
The P250 will drive like the D200, extra power but less torque, adequate power but 30mpg claimed fuel consumption. (D200 45mpg) The D300 has power and torque to spare and is really quite quick, however when it comes to spirited driving neither are in the same league as a Hot Hatch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
when we first picked ors up it was in snow mode - nearly resulted in a trip back to the dealer.
unless you are going to do pulls and hit drag strips, i dont think you will notice that much difference in daily driving, the TED time is good, i drive a 3.0 V6 230 BHP audi and find the 2.0 jag fine when i am allowed in it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've never had any complaints about mine, but it seems that the 2017 P250 has better performance figures than the 2021 version.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am awaiting delivery of a D200 F Pace. I would have liked the D300 but could not justify the extra cost of £10,000 preferring instead to go for the smaller engine and better spec.
The D200 engine in my current XE has always provided more than enough power for the way I drive(especially in Dynamic mode) and on the test drive the F Pace seemed equally as capable.

In the end I guess it is a personal choice based upon what you are used to and the way you drive but the D200 or P250 should be plenty for the majority of people. If you are ordering a new one the first thing I would look at is the expected delivery dates. D200 was 9-12 months with the P250 being longer than that although they are now saying mine will be ready by the end of April which will be 7 months.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was looking last year, I had a XFS 3.0D 275PS. One of my concerns was whether the Govt. are going to make it more difficult for diesels going forward and should I jump the gun. I test drove both the D300 & P250, and whilst the D was more of a match in terms of torque, in the end I decided to go with the P. Just after buying I went to my local Jaguar Independent to tell them I had moved the old car on & his first question was D or P, when I said P he said right choice.

6 months/5k miles in and I can honestly say I don't miss the performance. I've done 4x250 mile trips and felt very comfortable & unstressed. Overall fuel is running at around 29mpg compared to 33.6 in my old XFS.

Reactions: SuperXstyle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts all, very helpful.
Unless you like to run 0-60 , or go up to the red line through the gearson a regular basis, torque for mid-range acceleration is more important than max revs power. The 200D has 430N m, and the P250 has 365 N m....But as has been suggested, the best thing is to try both. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Totally agree !
Try both with a test drive !
I had an XF Sportbrake on loan with the P250 engine last year, and I was very impressed with the quietness and smoothness of it, but when you wanted power it was there with plenty to spare!.
I have the 300hp V6d F-Pace, which is so easy to drive, but I was really impressed with the P250 engine - in a way more fun to drive than the D as you really felt the power build as the revs climbed !
It will definitely be on my shortlist to try out next time around..
And the handling should easily convince you, if nothing else...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts all, very helpful.
When I had F pace 25T (250) my selection was based on what I was driving and that was c class with 180bhp 0-60 7+ sec,
25T F pace was 6+ sec so bigger car with a sec faster I was OK.
It depends what is your current ride and if you are OK with its performance then compare with that unless you want something fast fast then your call.

·
Registered
2.5T R-Sport
3 Posts
The 25t is plenty in my opinion. I have the Rsport 25t. In normal mode its got plenty of poke but if you want a bit of fun then Dynamic mode makes it more fun. 250BHP is plenty. I know the diesel has more torque ( and I had a D180) but I don't really notice tbh. I also get 27mpg when driving it hard and 33mpg when going steady.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m onto my second 25T (250). I love driving quickly and with the ability to get out of trouble freely.
This engine in dynamic mode is more than enough if driven properly.
I considered both the SVR and the P400 when deciding to replace the first F-Pace
but thought ”where can I use that amazing torque and power?”. I didn’t test the P400 but the SVR is mind blowing for about 1/2 hour a year I thought in real life. Awesome car and I respect all those who have gone for it but I made the right choice for me. I am a petrolhead in my peer group of normal people if that helps!!
No regrets.
Good luck in your choice.
Meridian surround and pano roof were good choices too.
Black pack was a good move.
Bimjob

Reactions: Jalees
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.