Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was vaguely aware of AdBlue .. but thought it only applied to older 'dirty' diesels that had to meet newer emission regs. I had no idea it was now part of almost every new diesel design.

Then in my research I come across DPF .. and had absolutely zero knowledge of that!

It seems my normal stop/start London driving isn't really suitable for either of these, meaning my AdBlue consumption is likely not to see me from service to service for top-ups, but that's no major issue (and the cost isn't prohibitive either).

The DPF however is causing me some concern, as there are plenty of horror stories, and quite a few involving Jaguar. Although most seem to be involving Mk 1XFs.

I guess my average monthly driving (around 800-1000 miles) is made up of lots of short journeys (2-3 per day of 2 to 5 miles, very stop start) plus one or maybe two long blasts (London to Devon for example). Is that enough to give the DPF it's chance to burn off the soot? It seems hard to tell. The articles seem very thin on providing any real quantum.

If there are problems, will it be covered by warranty? Seems very difficult to prove that issues have occured through "incorrect driving" but there are articles that claim manufacturers have shirked responsibility.

Any comments from townies owning diesels much appreciated :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
So I was vaguely aware of AdBlue .. but thought it only applied to older 'dirty' diesels that had to meet newer emission regs. I had no idea it was now part of almost every new diesel design.

Then in my research I come across DPF .. and had absolutely zero knowledge of that!

It seems my normal stop/start London driving isn't really suitable for either of these, meaning my AdBlue consumption is likely not to see me from service to service for top-ups, but that's no major issue (and the cost isn't prohibitive either).

The DPF however is causing me some concern, as there are plenty of horror stories, and quite a few involving Jaguar. Although most seem to be involving Mk 1XFs.

I guess my average monthly driving (around 800-1000 miles) is made up of lots of short journeys (2-3 per day of 2 to 5 miles, very stop start) plus one or maybe two long blasts (London to Devon for example). Is that enough to give the DPF it's chance to burn off the soot? It seems hard to tell. The articles seem very thin on providing any real quantum.

If there are problems, will it be covered by warranty? Seems very difficult to prove that issues have occured through "incorrect driving" but there are articles that claim manufacturers have shirked responsibility.

Any comments from townies owning diesels much appreciated :D
All diesel engines require a good run for the DPF to work it has to attain a high temperature to burn of the soot residue, i would advise you either dont buy a diesel or you get a petrol or take the car for a regular run.
see the AA article in the link below

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

hope it helps

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's one of the articles I read ... "don't buy a diesel" isn't great advice thanks since I've already bought one!

Looks like I will need to find an excuse for a regular 'blast' :twisted:

·
Registered
453 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Yeah that's one of the articles I read ... "don't buy a diesel" isn't great advice thanks since I've already bought one!

Looks like I will need to find an excuse for a regular 'blast' :twisted:
Well you have the car to do it i think you will relish a weekly sunday blast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also very new to Diesel and looking at F Pace 3.0d S and will be my first diesel.

I do around 10k per year and most is around town. School run 7 miles twice a day will be the norm.
How often do you have to take it for a run and how long for approx? Would once a month for 30 miles be enough as I can't find anything concrete or clear in real world terms.
Appreciate any advise to a Diesel newbie.

Thanks
Kas

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I also think it's the fule used and how you drive the car.
I've and an XF (older one) for 3 years. I often do a couple of very short journeys most days, (about 1Km each)
I've had a full DPF 3 times in 3 years. That's ok. I've a mate who's had it twice in about 5 weeks.

Now when I put the shell V power or BP ultimate or whatever in there (or a diesel additive) then my theory is more fuel is burnt and less soot comes flying out the back. It seems cleaner to me

If you drive without putting heavy into the accelerator pedal until it's warmed up a bit I think that helps. I think the better fuel certainly may help but just a theory,

Basically I've completely done what I shouldn't do and only had a full DPF couple of times ( last one was just last week actually - burned it off with quick drive - no problem.)
Don't know what ad blue is as don't think my car has it and never had to worry about it. It's a late 2010

·
Registered
453 Posts
Adblue is for the noxious gasses that are expelled during the combustion phase. The DPF is a filter that collects the soot that is a bi product when fuel is burnt, all fuels create a soot residue whether its petroleum, bio fuels, wood, natural gas, etc.... The shorter the journey the more soot is produced due to the engine not being at optimal operating temperature once a month I have known of a couple of friends who have had DPF problems as all they do is basically the school run every day and the odd short shopping trip, and have had DPF problems which are quite expensive to fix. If you purchase a diesel car i personally would advise a decent run at least once a month. For the DPF to regenerate the car has to be at operating temperature, or should say the exhaust should be at operating temperature. The regeneration takes anywhere from 5-10 mins car dependant. So a journey of approx 30 mins. Im lucky as i do a 26 mile journey to work every day on the motorway. But if i didnt with a rather expensive vehicle like the F Pace i wouldnt be so blase about the DPF.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My cars get lots of short journeys all less than 3 miles during the week. My old XF 2.2 diesel 200bhp did the same journeys, to combat DPF issues at least once a fortnight I would drive on manual in sport mode and keep it in 2nd gear (around town no problem, sounds cruel but trust me it kept engine around 2-3000 rpm instead of usual 1300-1500. Weekends I would try for a longer run to clear the DFP. Occasionally I would park up and there would be a burning rubber smell, it transpires this is a DPF cleaning cycle the XF had, worrying at first but once I found out what it was I relaxed. This was usually preceded by the stop/start system de-activating. The FPace has deactivated the stop start once so far on a run, not had the burning smell and not worried about the ad blue, I have bought the service pack so for 5 years they can fill it up! No idea how to check ad blue level, all I can find is that there will be a warning when its low...

I've had a few diesels , Citroen, VW, Vauxhall, Jaguar (the 2.2 was Citroen clone anyway, like the old 2.7/3.0 in S-types) and if you are brutal with them weekly they love it! Touch wood, not had DPF issue on any of them yet!

Is it a case of "Treat 'em mean to keep 'em clean" ? perhaps :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shaunyt said:
Adblue is for the noxious gasses that are expelled during the combustion phase. The DPF is a filter that collects the soot that is a bi product when fuel is burnt, all fuels create a soot residue whether its petroleum, bio fuels, wood, natural gas, etc.... The shorter the journey the more soot is produced due to the engine not being at optimal operating temperature once a month I have known of a couple of friends who have had DPF problems as all they do is basically the school run every day and the odd short shopping trip, and have had DPF problems which are quite expensive to fix. If you purchase a diesel car i personally would advise a decent run at least once a month. For the DPF to regenerate the car has to be at operating temperature, or should say the exhaust should be at operating temperature. The regeneration takes anywhere from 5-10 mins car dependant. So a journey of approx 30 mins. Im lucky as i do a 26 mile journey to work every day on the motorway. But if i didnt with a rather expensive vehicle like the F Pace i wouldnt be so blase about the DPF.
Thanks Shaun - I'm perfectly comfortable with the mechanics and their function, it's the lack of any real quantum regarding what's likely to cause a problem that was giving me concern.

It feels as if my two or three daily drives of 3 to 5 miles, plus a good blast at the weekend will be absolutely fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RaVolVoR said:
My cars get lots of short journeys all less than 3 miles during the week. My old XF 2.2 diesel 200bhp did the same journeys, to combat DPF issues at least once a fortnight I would drive on manual in sport mode and keep it in 2nd gear (around town no problem, sounds cruel but trust me it kept engine around 2-3000 rpm instead of usual 1300-1500. Weekends I would try for a longer run to clear the DFP. Occasionally I would park up and there would be a burning rubber smell, it transpires this is a DPF cleaning cycle the XF had, worrying at first but once I found out what it was I relaxed. This was usually preceded by the stop/start system de-activating. The FPace has deactivated the stop start once so far on a run, not had the burning smell and not worried about the ad blue, I have bought the service pack so for 5 years they can fill it up! No idea how to check ad blue level, all I can find is that there will be a warning when its low...

I've had a few diesels , Citroen, VW, Vauxhall, Jaguar (the 2.2 was Citroen clone anyway, like the old 2.7/3.0 in S-types) and if you are brutal with them weekly they love it! Touch wood, not had DPF issue on any of them yet!

Is it a case of "Treat 'em mean to keep 'em clean" ? perhaps :)
Thanks - anyone have a view of whether Stop/Start improves or reduces the DPF issue? Logic says it should improve as less soot being produced over the journey - but was wondering if the constant stop/start has any other effect?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like Diesel should be ok for me too.
Thought car maintenance etc should become easier but looks like with adblue and having to take it for a run makes more work. At least the Petrol model is same cost if I decide to go down that route.

Thanks for all the info it's very useful and this forum is super good and I haven't even bought the car yet..... :D

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kasfranks99 said:
Thought car maintenance etc should become easier but looks like with adblue and having to take it for a run makes more work. At least the Petrol model is same cost if I decide to go down that route.

Thanks for all the info it's very useful and this forum is super good and I haven't even bought the car yet..... :D
Agreed - have to say I'm beginning to be a little nervous and might have gone for the petrol if doing this again .. however I'm sure once I'm used to it it will become second nature .. hadn't really appreciated there were 'considerations' and I'm not surprised that diesel power is coming under criticism.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm not sure the idea of giving the F-Pace a weekend thrashing is "work" ... more like a bit of fun with an excuse, at least to me it is!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
kasfranks99 said:

They maybe the same initial costs, running costs on the other hand are quit a bit more in MPG terms

Having had years of diesel, DPF really is not a problem, unless you are doing a couple of mile journeys all the time and no runs, but who would buy an F-Pace on that basis, they must do more at the weekend surely...

·
Registered
453 Posts
F-Pace S said:
kasfranks99 said:

They maybe the same initial costs, running costs on the other hand are quit a bit more in MPG terms

Having had years of diesel, DPF really is not a problem, unless you are doing a couple of mile journeys all the time and no runs, but who would buy an F-Pace on that basis, they must do more at the weekend surely...
I totally agree why buy a fairly expensive drivers car not to drive it doesnt make sense

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my case Shaun the problem has been getting clear advice ... I live in central London so my normal driving is stop/start crawling at average 10-15mph.

If this was my only form of driving I'd get a 1.0 Yaris!

But at least once per month I like to blast down to the West Country to spend time with family, and then once per year I take the car to the Alps (skiing) and at least another once to South France. So the F Pace 3.0d is the perfect machine for me.

That is, if the DPF can cope! The trouble is it doesn't matter who you speak to you can't get a clear answer! I'm informed that if you have problems with the DPF and claim under warranty, Jaguar has been known to refuse to repair stating the car has not been "driven in the correct manner" .. and particularly on low mileage cars. I average 8,000 - 10,000 miles per year, but given around 20-30 journeys are 100 mile + and 4 or so can be 1000 mile + I had thought I was doing the right thing buying diesel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It will be driven but just don't want to have to take it every week for a run for no reason.
No point having a Diesel if it won't save me money. There are not many other benefits than the cost saving I believe. (Not that I know much about diesels). Trust me I long driving.
It will get around 10000 miles a year but I could do 1500 miles in a couple of weeks but only 4 x 7 miles per day for a couple of weeks.
I think I will be ok with the Diesel and good guidance on this forum with how often you have to go for a reasonable run which I think I will do a couple of times a month by choice.

At least the costs are the same with either diesel or petrol engine. Also I notice petrol has a smaller tank so think I will be filling up a lot more than my Audi Q5 Petrol but that has a 75l tank compared to 63. Another advantage for the diesel.

Not as easy as it should be especially as both cars are the same price. Usually Diesels are £2k ish more.......

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kasfranks99 said:
It will be driven but just don't want to have to take it every week for a run for no reason.
No point having a Diesel if it won't save me money. There are not many other benefits than the cost saving I believe. (Not that I know much about diesels). Trust me I long driving.
It will get around 10000 miles a year but I could do 1500 miles in a couple of weeks but only 4 x 7 miles per day for a couple of weeks.
I think I will be ok with the Diesel and good guidance on this forum with how often you have to go for a reasonable run which I think I will do a couple of times a month by choice.

At least the costs are the same with either diesel or petrol engine. Also I notice petrol has a smaller tank so think I will be filling up a lot more than my Audi Q5 Petrol but that has a 75l tank compared to 63. Another advantage for the diesel.

Not as easy as it should be especially as both cars are the same price. Usually Diesels are £2k ish more.......
The 3.0 Petrol residuals for finance are higher than the 3.0 Diesel, so if that holds up (and weirdly it did for my petrol evoque) then the 3 year costs are closer than you think.

I didn't go for the Diesel based on costs, I went on performance. The torque and low-end shove, and immediacy of acceleration out of a corner is intoxicating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am buying car outright so does not affect me luckily enough in that way.
I am similar to you in terms of mileage and probably usage. I just want to know how often that run has to be done. Providing it is only once or twice a month I am good with that.
Just makes sense to get diesel if I don't get any problems / refil adblue etc frequently.

I will give the Diesel a good drive on Fridays test drive and ask the dealer some questions and see what they say and let you all know. just want to make the right decision which is why I am on this forum and I can at least gain enough info so i know if the dealer is feeding me BS.

If this is the extent of my problems deciding between Diesel or Petrol then I will be a happy driver :D

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kasfranks99 said:
I am buying car outright so does not affect me luckily enough in that way.
I am similar to you in terms of mileage and probably usage. I just want to know how often that run has to be done. Providing it is only once or twice a month I am good with that.
Just makes sense to get diesel if I don't get any problems / refil adblue etc frequently.

I will give the Diesel a good drive on Fridays test drive and ask the dealer some questions and see what they say and let you all know. just want to make the right decision which is why I am on this forum and I can at least gain enough info so i know if the dealer is feeding me BS.

If this is the extent of my problems deciding between Diesel or Petrol then I will be a happy driver :D
Well it does affect you when you come to sell the car! Depreciation is the biggest cost of ownership after all. But who knows. We shall see in the S/C really does hold a greater value in the long run.

Enjoy the test drive!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts