Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Jaguar are desperately trying to loose their old man car image. this isn't as noticeable in the US but defiantly is over here in the UK.

I was told the F-Pace was trying to break this mould, yet when I went to the launch at Castle Bromwich I was by far the youngest guy there.

The F-Pace however has all the features a younger guy or gal might want. the infotainment for one I think can do far more than the average silver haired customer would want. A HDMI connection to the media port?! Integrated browser?!

I am not exactly a tot at the ripe age of 37, so I wondered what ages potential buyers you know are? I certainly don't want the stigma of driving an old mans car!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I also noticed this when I went to the events. I was again younger by a good 15 -20 years I'd say!

I think this will change over time, the only people who really have been following the car to date are likely to have been die hard Jag fans (invited by the dealer etc). So if the demographic was older, that's who would have been there.

When the car hits the road I think it's going to bring in a lot of new (younger) buyers.

Having said that, I don't really care who buys it, if you're 80 and want to hoon round in a 3.0 petrol, go for it! why not I say! And the chances are the person who mocks you driving one won't own a car anywhere near as stunning!

·
Registered
453 Posts
What does it matter what age is driving the car..... i am 51 possibly the bracket ALDO describes as old man.... i would have to say you are being agest .... my feeling is that a lot of people driving cars these days dont appreciate a good car or the leaps and bounds car technology has taken in lets say the last 50 years as most of the err younger demography of drivers havent had the car experience of some of the silver haired drivers, they really dont realise how lucky they are to be as young as they are with car technology and quality where it is. I also think that the majority of lets say young drivers out there dont have the funds to purchase a quality car like a Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW etc in this class just the ones lucky enough to have attained a position in a career that allows them to fund such a purchase.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shaunyt said:
What does it matter what age is driving the car..... i am 51 possibly the bracket ALDO describes as old man.... i would have to say you are being ageist .... my feeling is that a lot of people driving cars these days don't appreciate a good car or the leaps and bounds car technology has taken in lets say the last 50 years as most of the err younger demography of drivers haven't had the car experience of some of the silver haired drivers, they really dont realise how lucky they are to be as young as they are with car technology and quality where it is. I also think that the majority of lets say young drivers out there don't have the funds to purchase a quality car like a Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW etc in this class just the ones lucky enough to have attained a position in a career that allows them to fund such a purchase.
I agree. I'm 51 and wouldn't consider myself "old". Your comments about having the funds to buy such a car (mine is specced to £60k and I've been careful!) are spot on!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think it is a mid 30s onwards really given the spec, price and fact it's an SUV. At 25 I was happy with a 2 seater sports car such as TVR or RX7 (loved that car)
Bit older bit more civilised and bit more money with 2 young kids and it's a family car now as we'll. 380 BHP of family car but it is more practical, I'm just over 40
When I'm 50 I'll still be looking at sports cars or nice family cars depending where I am.
I think with the XE especially it brings in a younger crown and jag has shed the old oak , leather image
Younger people will be involved but again I think until your into your 30s it may not be the sort of car your looking for

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im 45 - far from young - but did notice the number of older gents/ ladies at the castle Bromwich launch event. However, in dealership yesterday it struck me as to how this car is likely to appeal to a younger demographic once on the roads - in the flesh it is absolutely stunning - and like the evoque did for range rover - will bring a flood of younger drivers to jaguar from the likes of bmw and audi/ mercedes..... If you can afford it, it will be the SUV of choice I'm sure.... Let's hope so for those of us who have committed over these hard months of waiting!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The F-Pace does not look like an 'old man's car' at all (unless you opt for the wood trim) but I think this notion of Jaguar has changed since 2008 with the introduction of the XF. Prior to that I agree the likes of the X-type, S type and old XJ added to that stereotype. Even the old 1996 XK8 I had had a teak dashboard and panels and a wooden gearstick which you'd never come across in any sports car of today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DEFINATELY NOT AN OLD MAN`S CAR . I`M 51 , NO GREY HAIRS AT ALL . OR BROWN ,BLACK ,BLONDE ETC

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha!

I didn't mean any offense with the age comment, what went through my head was that I felt Jaguar deserved a better image, it is now making cutting edge, stunning cars, ones that realistically would appeal to any young family with the finance, and yet may struggle to loose its stigma...

·
Registered
948 Posts
IONGY said:
DEFINATELY NOT AN OLD MAN`S CAR . I`M 51 , NO GREY HAIRS AT ALL . OR BROWN ,BLACK ,BLONDE ETC
Nice one, I'm almost 49yr and I don't feel old.... well apart from a bad back, bad knee and sh1t eye sight. lol

The reality is younger people have mortgages and kids that swallow their money where as us oldies have our mortgage paid off and kids mostly don't look to be subbed money so throwing £50-60k isn't as big of an issue.

I recall my local Porsche dealer telling me the average age of a 911 owner is in his fifties and yet we don't class it a pipe and slippers kind of a car now do we.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Age? 66. So what? Car suits my spec and can now afford my first Jag.... Specced 3L petrol but have now changed to 3L deisel after reading mag reviews, first deisel car ever. Deposit paid 2 months ago so now patiently (?) waiting ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I for one hope that it fails to attract the young 'bling' crowd.
Look at the Range Rover Sport. The image that has now..............And I bought one when the latest generation was launched! As great a car it is, around my way at least, it's mainly driven by young wannabes and meat heads. I hope that doesn't happen to the F Pace.
BTW I'm 50 and currently drive a RS4....

·
Registered
195 Posts
The last time I could afford a large engine (3.5 Rover) was before I married and had a family. Then lots of company cars with 1.6 or 2.0 engines. Now I've retired, I'm going for what I want - a First Edition.
YOLO

·
Registered
33 Posts
There has been an age vote quite some time ago: http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=156

From my point of view (31), quite a car bought from old man (and woman). However, I agree with the others, that it mostly is related to the price of the car and corresponds highly with income.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You're never too old to appreciate a good car! I remember a guy who was 80 when I was around 10 - he decided his 3-litre Bentley was a bit of a handful so he traded it on for a Jaguar XK150.

Me? 63 next birthday, but Jaguar's tag line even in those days was 'Grace - Space - Pace', which strikes me as just as appropriate to the F-Pace as it was to the Mk 1 and Mk 2 saloons, Mark 10 etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts