Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I have noticed that sometimes even after a short run of about 4 miles when my car is parked in the garage there is a strong oil burning smell- anyone else have this ? is it the DPF?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have an odd smell, wasn't sure if it was DPF, brake's or something else..... happens on short journeys and I also got it on my XE as well (2.0D). Had cars with DPF before but never had a similar smell...

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
I have a strong burning type smell i get but i have been told its the exhaust burning off, it is rather strange at first as i thought the car was on fire its that sort of smell.

Is it a similar smell your getting?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Kind of.... it's a burning but not quite burning kind of smell. Hard to nail down exactly.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
jonty1625 said:
Kind of.... it's a burning but not quite burning kind of smell. Hard to nail down exactly.
I had this once funnily enough when the car was a couple of days old, not had it since, but it was really hard to tie down the smell

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
jonty1625 said:
Just out of thought, you have had your stater motor cable checked as mine was recalled for this?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
jonty1625 said:
Just out of thought, you have had your stater motor cable checked as mine was recalled for this?
No...not been recalled yet...was only delivered 3 weeks ago, so not sure what I need to do to check?

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
F-Pace S said:
Jagfpacejk said:
jonty1625 said:
No...not been recalled yet...was only delivered 3 weeks ago, so not sure what I need to do to check?
If its that new it would have been sorted on the production line so count that out.

Might be the self cleaning,

This may help,

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2017/T19962/23624_en_GBR/proc/G1904948

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine definitely smells like oil burning? The car is going back for a recall in a couple of weeks so I will ask them to check it

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Don't think mine does this at all but then it might have occured during the dealers joint custody sessions. They are about to enter week 4 out of 9 weeks ownership. Mind you at least they wash it and put fuel in it!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Check for an oil leak from the front diff as oil from this can spray onto hot exhaust..Gearbox oil has a distinctive smell.

·
Registered
192 Posts
^+1 Mines just gone into dealer with front diff leak. The smell I was experiencing was almost like the smell of Gas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had a burning smell on mine for a couple of weeks, especially after a longish journey. I traced it to the brake discs which were getting very, very hot. Maybe they were a bit new-car tight although I could detect no drag. 6 weeks and 2000+ miles no more burning smells although the discs are always very hot if I check immediately after returning home. I would say that I have a very light touch on both brakes and accelerator and always score in the upper 90's for efficiency - just to make the point that hot brakes are not down to my driving style. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have experienced this smell. I have put it down to the burning off of the exhaust, But I must say it does smell a bit like oil. No sign of anything when I checked. I notice it most when waiting in traffic, junctions etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.