Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem an odd thread, but to all UK guys & galls who are lucky enough to have had yours delivered, could you tell me what height the rear plate is?

The front looks like standard UK plate (unless you have US holder :D ), but I've seen two versions of rear, one rectangular & one shaped to fit recess n tailgate..

Got another set to order, but thought I'd get the F Pace ones at same time... Who knows, it might be here in 6 weeks!

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
This is not a peculiar question!! I hated the standard rectangle and the Jag dealers 'curved' plate as supplied did not follow the F-Pace body, it was better suited to a Rover 75!!!! So that went straight in the bin!!! My tip is....get blank plates made to the size you want as my local plate supplier does, not illegal as there is no script or font applied. Then order your numbers and letters as self adhesive gels from sign design online. Plain black gloss or carbon fibre effect, then stick on yourself!! Mine attached....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carl, they look good... And no free advertising for lacklustre dealer!

Your rear one looks slightly shaped/curved on bottom corner? Are they 130mm deep? They look better to me on the cars I've seen than same depth as front...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi 66, my rear number plate is 152mm in height, hope this shot makes it easier to gauge what size you may want to go for! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Same height as JagsCat 152mm. The bottom is tapered in 12.5mm each side with larger radius at the bottom corners than the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here are mine,perfectly legal of course if you have a few numbers and letters to display.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would dispute the legality of your yank plate. Firstly it should have BS number, second it should display manufacturers name and postcode, thirdly the characters should be of a certain size and spacing. So that's two things it fails on to start with.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
A lot of assumptions about law and regulation on this thread already. The regulations are shown in plain English in DVLA INF 104. A relevant extract is as follows:

The British Standard sets out the characteristics of
the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and
reflectivity. To meet the British Standard, each number
plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information.
* The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
* The name, trademark or other way of identifying the
manufacturer or supplier
* The name and postcode of the supplying outlet

That detail on the bottom is not advertising but a requirement. Some of the number plates in this thread may not get you prosecuted but they won't get you through a future MOT and they do give Mr. Plod a reason to stop you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wrong on all three counts Carl
My Front and rear plates have a BS number stamped on them. Supplied by Jepsons.
The Garage/agents name who made the plates for me together with their postcode is also present.
Font and letters/numbers are the correct height and spaced correctly.

The current MOT guidelines do not specify a size for a numberplate itself,only that the letter/ numeral size,spacing and most important the font is displayed correctly. This is why larger rear plates are allowed to fit the aperture such as on a Rover 75 and Jaguar XF XE Land Rover square etc. I have had this size of plate on my cars since 1997 and have never once been questioned by the law, but I do carry a copy of the regulations in the car just in case. I have always considered that my "different" plates are mild compared with some I see everyday spelling names etc.and strange fonts.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Indeed as long as there is 11mm from outside of letters, you can cut the plate down/put a border or anything you like... As long as you use correct font and spacing,s I've never been stopped or pulled up for it at MOTs etc since 1998 either..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hydrajaws said:
Wrong on all three counts Carl
My Front and rear plates have a BS number stamped on them. Supplied by Jepsons.
The Garage/agents name who made the plates for me together with their postcode is also present.
Font and letters/numbers are the correct height and spaced correctly.

The current MOT guidelines do not specify a size for a numberplate itself,only that the letter/ numeral size,spacing and most important the font is displayed correctly. This is why larger rear plates are allowed to fit the aperture such as on a Rover 75 and Jaguar XF XE Land Rover square etc. I have had this size of plate on my cars since 1997 and have never once been questioned by the law, but I do carry a copy of the regulations in the car just in case. I have always considered that my "different" plates are mild compared with some I see everyday spelling names etc.and strange fonts.
I only named two counts, BS No. & supplier name and postcode. From the pics I could not visibly see it. Font size and spacing is correct agreed. My plate only stands up on font size, fails everything else!! :lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Personally, I'm not a great fan of large rear number plates. Too much yellow for me, too much like the Rover 75 scenario as mentioned earlier.

I actually did a test of this at my dealer today lining both sizes of two plates up against two FP's. The dealer tends to default to enough plate to cover the whole space but I've asked them to go for standard rear size against my dark paint colour, same height left above and below and to absolutely not use bolts.

I think it worked well on my Evoque, albeit the space on the FP is deeper

View attachment 87

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
You could legally reduce the length of your plate PEC 3 if you wished by leaving an 11mm space from the edge to the first and last character as set out in some of the above posts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hydrajaws said:
You could legally reduce the length of your plate PEC 3 if you wished by leaving an 11mm space from the edge to the first and last character as set out in some of the above posts.
Interesting....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts