Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

FYI, a number of us 3.0 Litre Diesel F-Pace owners have been experiencing an extremely frustrating noise (call it driveline vibration, rattling or clatter) coming from the engine into the cabin. This is experienced under mild acceleration/load typically between 1,200-2,000rpm and even coasting on the freeway, or for some even at idle, which I too heard from time-to-time. In my case, this was temperature dependent, ranging from being really loud on cooler days and virtually going away on much warmer days.

Knowing a bit about acoustics, I had suspected that there was some sort of contact that was amplifying this particular noise into the cabin. It had to be related to metal, as in my case the ambient temperature affected the noise level. It turns out that I was right.

Last week, JLR sent my dealer a new Noise Isolation Fix component to apply to my car - it's an earthing cable between the engine and chassis that is now made of a completely new material. The old one was very tight, and I'm guessing the amount of tightness varies enough that many don't even hear it. Now with this having been applied, I received my FP back on Friday. Having driven it a fair bit this weekend, and now with a cooler morning today on the drive to work, I'm happy to report that the noise is virtually gone. I can still hear it a little if I struggle to listen, but I do have a fairly critical ear and can say that it's not annoying in the slightest anymore.

So this is great news for all 3.0 Diesel owners - the fix is about to be made more widely available and it does work! Other 2.0d owners have indicated that they can hear it too. I don't have any news on that but can only assume that a similar fix is in the works for you.

I can say that I'm an EXTREMELY HAPPY F-Pace owner again :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good job for Jag ... must been a hard one to track down. I've had some dealing with harmonic's / acoustics and sometimes it can be the smallest thing.

Glade you are one happy F-Pace owner again!

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's great news. I get a metallic rattle on start up when the engine is cold but not noticed it when driving. I've assumed this was just a cold diesel engine sound, but maybe it's the same sound that you've been hearing Mike?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Excellent news Mike as mine has just started to be noticeable under certain conditions. Certainly not annoying yet like the demo I drove.

Well done and thanks for the great feedback. Good to know you are happy with your car now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeterT said:
That's great news. I get a metallic rattle on start up when the engine is cold but not noticed it when driving. I've assumed this was just a cold diesel engine sound, but maybe it's the same sound that you've been hearing Mike?
I guess it's possible, but that wasn't the case for me as mine still did it regardless of whether the engine was cold or warm. Most of us heard this under normal light acceleration. Magnus made two YouTube clips (
and [URL=https://youtu.be/dZfGy9_0PWY]
) and I also took some recordings ([URL=http://fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1027&start=40#p22710][url]http://fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1027&start=40#p22710
). It's actually much worse in person than what the recordings show, but should give you an idea.

Warning: If you don't hear any noise issues now, then don't listen to these clips ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it has been resolved. Peter's question was regarding what it sounded like as he's hearing a specific noise at startup and wants to know if this is it.

The drive to work again today was LOVELY! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've also noticed something that could be a contact noise every time it starts including stop start operation. It's on a 2.0. You hear the engine start and then right at the end it's as if the vibration just hits a certain level to make something rattle for a split second.

Anyone else with a 2.0 getting this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello!

I just want to add that I finally, after nearly six months, got help from Jaguar to get the problem with the vibration/whistling sound solved in my 3.0D F-Pace!

They changed both common rails and fuel rail pressure sensors and now the engine is silent as expected, simply amazing to drive with its combination of silence and outstanding torque. I really enjoy the vast acceleration on low revs!

I'm so happy I didn't trigger a rejection process, I for sure had it in my mind several times but I simply couldn't figure out what car to bye instead, no one of the current suv alternatives are even close in my mind, so I remained patient :)

I strongly recommend anyone that have the 3.0D engine and experience the annoying vibration/whistling sound to contact their retailer to get it fixed!

Regards,
Magnus.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Very pleased for you Magnus and thanks for the feedback as I'm sure it will help others.

My 3.0d is whisper quiet apart from on idle and above 4000rpm when it becomes rough and wheezy. Who cares though as like you said the mid range torque is phenomenal. I wish the auto box would change up a little sooner on full throttle. It seems to always head for the 4250rpm red line which means you feel the torque back off and it all gets a little coarse. So I'm using the paddles all the time for spirited driving in a way I ever did in the Evoque. Great fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts