Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Newbie with lead time question

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Arianne 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Been lurking for a bit and just thought I had best sign up and I introduce myself as I'm going to take the plunge and get a F-PACE. Think I am now settled on a R-Sport Auto in IRR with Black Pack and a few other bits.

I haven't had the best experience with my local dealers but have found one in the south of Scotland that seem to know what they talking about and can supply me a car for the end of November. Just wondering if that's a decent lead time? I have seen others saying they are into next year but I really want it ASAP.

Best regards
Animal

#2 ·
Hi Animal

That's a very decent lead time. My dealer is now quoting March.

You should check with Arianne on this forum as he is in the same neck of the woods as you and has experience with dealers in your area. He's very happy with his choice.

#3 ·
And your dealer is?

Let me guess, Clelands of Galashiels? If so then you will not have any issue with quality or customer service.

Let me know if it is them. Or have you found another since Jaguar dealers that fit this description appear to be few and far between.

Arianne

#5 ·
Blimey, if there was a 4-5 month difference in delivery dates, I would be shopping around dealers, not just accepting it!

#7 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome and apologies for the delay in replying been having some Wi-Fi issues.
It is Clelands that I have ordered from and I'm relived to hear that you have good things to say about them Arianne. I am over 200 miles away from them so buying a car from someone I have never met is a tad daunting but they have been fantastic so far. Also its been great to find a small family run business always seem to have a more personal touch.
I placed the order on the 15th September and they have quoted mid-November for delivery to me. Excited is an understatement like most as soon as I press the button on something I want it ASAP! Can't help but getting jealous every time I see one out on the roads but thankfully they aren't too common.
Cheers
Animal

#8 ·
Animal said:
Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome and apologies for the delay in replying been having some Wi-Fi issues.
It is Clelands that I have ordered from and I'm relived to hear that you have good things to say about them Arianne. I am over 200 miles away from them so buying a car from someone I have never met is a tad daunting but they have been fantastic so far. Also its been great to find a small family run business always seem to have a more personal touch.
I placed the order on the 15th September and they have quoted mid-November for delivery to me. Excited is an understatement like most as soon as I press the button on something I want it ASAP! Can't help but getting jealous every time I see one out on the roads but thankfully they aren't too common.
Cheers
Animal
Hello Animal,

Bingo! Knew it. They are great (albeit human like you and me so not quite perfect!).

How my sales guy puts up with me, I do not know (Peter). He must have the patience of a saint. They won't disappoint you but unsure whether they will do pick up, drop off courtesy car, service and return from 200mls away! Knowing them, they just might!

I am popping in towards the middle of next week to check out their new demonstrator that has just been delivered. It has, amongst other things, configurable mood lighting and so Peter called me and offered me another cuppa, a look at the new demonstrator and a chat.

To be fair, when I have done business with the Volvo side of the business they have been equally good (Ian, Jamie and the back office team).

It's quite a contrast with Edinburgh Audi. They've all been trained by Audi to deliver a specific customer experience but, as faultless as it is, the whole thing lacks any warmth or sincerity. The lad's TT is due for its 'variable' service with them next week and the whole interaction is so superficial. I would rather have something less polished but truly sincere and meaningful every day of the week.

As for Edinburgh Jaguar, whatever they're called somewhere between the city centre and the airport on the A8, we walked in there back in April. My son was interested in an XE and I was looking at their F-Pace. Walked in, sat in the cars, tried the HiFi systems, got out and walked out - nobody was bothered to take our names, contact details or anything. And I had even called them in advance and they knew we were coming! Now my son is considering an F-Type as a replacement for his Audi TT in Autumn 2017 and he is pretty certain the Edinburgh Jaguar dealer won't be getting his business.

Anyway, good choice with Clelands my friend.

Arianne

#9 ·
That would be Pentland Jaguar. Had a mixed bag with them. Requested a PDF brochure from the Jaguar website. Of course, you have to give your contact details to get the download link (that really annoys me). E-mail duly arrives with a link for the brochure download and the price list download. Only, when you click on the price list, it too just links to the brochure! Great! Next day, salesperson #1 e-mails me a price list and then rings and leaves a voicemail message to say he's mailed me a price list [err... I know, I do check my e-mails]. The next day, I get another voicemail from him reminding me that he'd sent me a price list. To me, this was now bordering on harassment, and after reading a less than complimentary review of salesperson #1 on Facebook, I decided to to organise a test drive with whoever was free when it suited me. Enter salesperson #2. Yes, he had some very detailed product knowledge, and eventually let me test drive the car around my local roads, but he talked and talked and talked. Test drive booked at 4pm, started at 4.30pm (he ran late). Following that, I built an initial order on the configurator and placed deposit - by now it was 7pm and closing time!!! At no point were we offered a tea or coffee by him! Apparently, a few weeks later, he went long term sick and eventually left. Enter salesperson #3, who picked up the order after the demise of #2. This is Diane, who has been great - she invited me in for a cuppa last week just so we had chance to meet before the handover. Shame I didn't deal with her from the outset! Receptionist there makes a great cup of tea, too.

Ah, Edinburgh Audi. Vey slick, but a bit soulless. Used them for servicing until 2011. Long story short, after they tried to scam me on a couple of things, I could no longer trust them. Subsequently, I took all my service work to Autohaus, an authorised independent at nearby Bilston and have enjoyed much lower labour rates ever since. It was setup by a couple of ex Edinburgh Audi technicians and they know their stuff.

I do have some sympathy for dealers. Some customers like to have salesfolk show an interest or make a fuss over them. Some, like me, like to be left alone until they ask for help. If I can get in and out of a dealer and do my initial research without anyone speaking to me, I'm happy! However, what pleases one customer, annoys another. That's one thing I'll say for Edinburgh Audi - you walk in and are promptly greeted by one of the receptionists. If you say you just want to have a look around, no salesperson will come near you. If you ask for advice or help, it will be given. Works for me.

Pentland has come good for me so far. Had I read Arianne's reviews of Cleland's first, I'd probably have gone there instead. Still, if Pentland can't deliver on the service side, I know Cleland's aren't that far away. It's great know to know that some small dealers can still survive in this day amongst the conglomerates.

#10 ·
^ @ bobcat

Pentland Jaguar, you are right. To be fair, on my initial telephone call it was Diane that I was put through to. And to be honest I found her very pleasant on the call prior to popping in a few days later, as agreed. Unfortunately Diane wasn't there when we arrived and, as I said in my earlier post, the experience was lacklustre.

I am like you. There are times when I want to be left alone to browse and then there are times when I want someone to chat with. The key skill for a sales person is to read the signals and know when to make a move. If in doubt they can ask, I have no problem with that.

I found Eastern BMW at Newbridge Luxury Car Village pretty good. They had plenty of time for us and we received a personal service. Again, we tested an X5, X3 and they offered us the option of an X4 . One of the test runs was extensive and the guys knew their stuff about the range. We would go back there if we ever fancied a BMW.

There is also a small JLR joint franchise in Kendal, Lake District. They are just like Clelands in size and culture. I think we can conclude that, despite the many tales of woe and poor experiences that folk have reported on this forum, there are a few good dealerships and the knack is to choose the right one.

Have a good week people. I am in Kent right now and the sky is clear blue. Makes a change from the clouds of Scotland!

Arianne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.