Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after all the anticipation, I have now had my F-Pace for 4 days! I have driven her through demanding winding mountain highways, and bumper to bumper traffic jams. I have had a chance to test out most of her systems/tech, and thought it was time to put together a few thoughts from my experiences. Note: this absolutely is not a review - just a collection of observations and thoughts after spending time with her.

If you aren't interested in the minutia, the summary is: She is definitely a true Jaguar. And I am not referring to her driving performance here - being within the breaking period, I haven't really had the chance to experience that in full yet. By being true Jaguar, I mean she is absolutely a British car: full of quirks, oddities, lots of character, and loveable as **** (side note: we need to turn off these ridiculous profanity filters. I think it has been a few decades since H E L L has been inappropriate to say).

So now on to the details. When I picked her up there a number of minor issues on delivery that need to be seen to. I will be returning to the dealership in a couple of weeks to have them all sorted. Specifically these were:

1. Very minor bonnet alignment issue (gap on once side of bonnet line slightly larger than other). I wouldn't have noticed it at all if other owners hadn't called out far worse cases of it.
2. Boot/Liftgate alignment issue. The boot was misaligned so that is sat quite deeply, leaving a lip on each side where it met with the body of the car. I wouldn't have been sure this was an issue and not the design if I hadn't been able to compare against other F-Paces in the dealership to see that they were aligned more smoothly.
3. Transport damage:
a) A gouge out of the plastic on the driver's side mirror.
b) A scratch in the plastic on the passenger's side mirror.
c) A giant gouge out of the gear selector console components, through the chrome/plastic.

All of the above are being rectified by the dealer, and don't sour my experience in any way - just part of getting a new car, and similar to what I have experienced with other new cars I have bought. When you buy a new built house, there are always deficiencies you have to have the builder take care of, and I view this the same way.

On to the good:
1. She is gorgeous! She keeps turning heads, even in jaded Vancouver. Every time I see her, I am struck by how good she looks.
2. The BRG/Brogue/Burl Ash combo was definitely the right combo for me. I adore it! I love the feel of the satin burl ash around the gear selector. Also can't stop touching the alcantara suede headliner.
3. The boot is HUGE. So much bigger than on the Evoque, and already
4. Super comfortable form fitting seats
5. Simplicity/understated elegance of the interior definitely grown on us.
6. The cabin is very roomy.
7. Clarity on the 825w sound system is good - seems similar to the 825w Meridian system on my Evoque.
8. The interior ambient lighting and design make me feel like I am in a club/disco at night (or possibly a 1980s version of a space ship). Shockingly not a bad thing.
9. The tech is awesome. The ACC and queue assist are great -love it both for highway driving at speed and for stop and go traffic. Has performed flawlessly.
10. Lane keep assist makes makes me laugh out loud with delight even time it unexpectedly kicks in. Note: This will get you back in your lane but is NOT designed to auto steer you on a regular basis. Basically, it just corrects to get you away from the side line, it doesn't keep you in the centre of the lane. This is an important distinction because if you don't guide the car yourself, you end up bouncing from one side of the lane to the other like a pingpong ball between the lines. Reminded me of Pong.
11. LOVE the heads-up. No idea how I will go back to car without this now.
12. The digital instrument cluster is awesome - love it!
13. The reclining rear seats go back much further than I remembered them going back in demo cars. I swear they have more recline than most economy seats on airlines these days .
14. Love the universal open on the remote - being able to open the sunroof and roll down all the windows remotely to let all the hot air out of the car is great.
15. The remote app works brilliantly - never had a problem with it and it starts and cools the car perfectly.
16. The air conditioned seats are wonderful! Work really well and has brought end to sweaty undercarriages.
17. She is SEXY beyond all belief. People can't stop staring at her lines.

The quirks:
1. I have to agree with others: awkward to get in and out of when the seat is in my driving position. I am 5'9, so not big, and still have to contort to get in and out. A familiar Jag feature but I will have to get used to it again.
2. SXM is buggy. When it loses signal it sometimes freezes the audio in the system. Changing the volume box doesn't bring up the volume bar. When I switch to another source it works fine. I haven't seen the "freezing" of the entire system that some users report (days are early yet!).
3. My automatic steering wheel entry/exit mode doesn't seem to be working. It worked once, but not since. Will have to investigate further when I have time.
4. Cooled glovebox is kind of a joke - only cooled by AC which is fine... but too small to fit anything to keep cool.
5. When you have the rear climate control, the centre console storage bin is TINY. Incredibly shallow - just enough to fit a wallet.

Hate:
1. The "Passenger Airbag Disabled" warning stays on ALL THE TIME if there is no one in the passenger seat - and it is right at eye level - glaring orange. I have seen this in American and Japanese vehicles before, but European ones always seemed to avoid it. It is really obnoxious and right in your face. I am actually trying to find ways to tasteful cover it up or disable it.

These are just initials thoughts - it has only been 4 days, and I am sure this is more or adjusted feedback to come.

All told - I love her, and would buy her all over again. I just wish that for $105k (yes, CAD), I they could have got it all right. It isn't as polished as the XJ, which is the same price.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thank you for the review and the photos, Mr Decisive here (not) three colour changes post order!! :D :D my first thought for a Jag was BRG and brown leather, I didn't in the end but yours looks very nice indeed....

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Why is Vancouver jaded? :?
Very smart diamond cut blades! :cool:
Dog cabin space: 4 Shibas (that's a lovely pic!) probably equates to just 2 Labs (@ 30kgs each) :p
I notice you have the boot liner, but when you reach your chosen destination, how are you planning to protect the tailgate sill from doggy scratching when they leap out enthusiastically as the door lifts? (..this usually involves a lot of "stay", "wait" and "no's" in my experience! :lol: )

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
As a fellow doggie owner, isn't the design of the rear parcel shelf a tad annoying? On the RRE it tucks neatly behind the rear seats, but on the FP it has to be folded and placed under the boot floor meaning there's no room for a spare tyre.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Not like the evoque no ... the space behind the rear seats is there to support the reclining rear seat option, so there's nothing to hook it onto .. it would just rattle about.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I've had several SUVs where the rear 'shelf' is a flexible cover that rolls up into a spring mounted bracket (which is, itself, removable and stowable if necessary) . . it's a far better design solution, much more practical than a rigid/folding shelf. Who has ever used a 'parcel shelf' for parcels anyway?!? Please think about this in future JLR designers. It does bug me that the Evoque coupe hasn't got room to store the shelf behind the seats like it can on the five-door version - never been able to make it fit any way on mine, usually just leave it in the garage! :(

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
I've had several SUVs where the rear 'shelf' is a flexible cover that rolls up into a spring mounted bracket (which is, itself, removable and stowable if necessary) . . it's a far better design solution, much more practical than a rigid/folding shelf. Who has ever used a 'parcel shelf' for parcels anyway?!? Please think about this in future JLR designers. It does bug me that the Evoque coupe hasn't got room to store the shelf behind the seats like it can on the five-door version - never been able to make it fit any way on mine, usually just leave it in the garage! :(
Hi CW .. my thoughts exactly on the flexible roll cover .. I thought I was alone .. let's design one :)

I have the RRE coupe too ... the parcel shelf does fit very neatly behind the rear seats .. clips into place and stays secure.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I usually have pretty good spatial awareness skills, but that cumbersome thing has always been like the Krypton Factor for me . . I just give up and leave it at home. Must be doing something wrong. :roll:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
:lol: I still have the rear parcel shelf for my 2008 XKR at home ... took it out on delivery and then forgot to put it back when I sold the car 2 years later!!

PS .. sorry for going off topic!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
catwoman said:
Why is Vancouver jaded? :?
Very smart diamond cut blades! :cool:
Dog cabin space: 4 Shibas (that's a lovely pic!) probably equates to just 2 Labs (@ 30kgs each) :p
I notice you have the boot liner, but when you reach your chosen destination, how are you planning to protect the tailgate sill from doggy scratching when they leap out enthusiastically as the door lifts? (..this usually involves a lot of "stay", "wait" and "no's" in my experience! :lol: )
Vancouver tends to be jaded when it comes to luxury vehicles because it is full of 16 year olds driving Lamborghinis and Ferraris, and inundated with other luxury vehicles. My building alone has 3 Bentleys, a Rolls Royce, a McLaren, and innumerable Mercedes/Range Rovers/BMWs in the parking garage. It is almost all foreign capital vs actually due to commerce generated in Vancouver, however.

Re: The Shiba - The photo is for illustrative purposes only ;). There is no way she would deign to actually stay in the boot. She insists on riding in the back seat where she can look out the windows. You do bring up a good point that I hadn't thought to mention, though. The painted bumper lip right outside of the boot is huge, meaning it is just begging to be scratched as heavy suitcases, etc, are lifted in and out. My Evoque had a much much small lip there. Will have to be quite careful (or invest in the bumper protector!).

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Wow, so Moira gets to ride in real luxurious comfort then!! . . hope my two 'furbeasts' don't get to hear about that, they've always had to make do and rough it, just sitting in the boot :lol:

My oh gosh-a mighty!, Vancouver sounds like a very up-market place indeed (..it must be hell ) . . . and the scenery around and about in those photos you posted is absolutely spectacular too . . ah well, not to do it down, but it looks a whole different world to poor old, beleaguered, brexited northern England :cry:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts