Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Latest fault on my my21 Fpace with 4800 miles on it

It's broken down for my Wife on hard shoulder of M42 at 2pm today. 150 miles from home

Warning came up about overheating

She's been taken by JLR assist to a service station . Car has been left there, as recovery driver had done his driving hours

She 150 miles away waiting for taxi to bring her home

An AA tech has looked at car and is staying with it until another driver collects it to take it on to our local dealers. He said one water pump belt has slipped and another belt is shredded. Said this should not happen on a new car

Disgusting . This car has already got rejection case open as needed whole new back exhaust due to stuck valves

Owning a JLR product is a nightmare.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No a good advert for the car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awful scenario. We will be picking up our new MY21 in a few weeks. I can imagine being in the same situation as my wife and I will be sharing the car.

I wonder if this is the same issue regarding belts being shredded we see in other threads (I’m no car expert so forgive me if not )

Really worrying, to the extent that I’m rethinking my purchase.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If the starter drive belt also drives the water pump that will be the problem, I didn’t imagine they would do that because the high load on the belt starting the engine would overload the water pump bearings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still hasn't arrived at dealership it's been in storage overnight.

Nice car but enough is enough should of learnt my lesson after having to reject an Evoque ,I had from new that suffered balance shaft failure twice

I traded in an 8 month old reliable Mercedes GLE for this hassle 🙃

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s awful. Really sorry to hear that Justin.

Got me worried as well because I have the same car, same age, same miles. So I had a look at the belts today, and fortunately they still seem to look pristine.

There are two belts - a thin one that drives the water pump (I assume) and a wider one for the starter/alternator. They are on the left hand side of the engine at the front, as you sit in the car, so passenger side. You can see a part view of them both from the opposite side using a torch without disturbing anything.

Still worried though, so I will keep checking until JLR sort the issue !!!

Cheers Will

·
Registered
651 Posts
As the water pump has a separate drive belt another fault is causing the overheating, unusual in a new vehicle and could be anything, hope it gets sorted quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good wishes

Was supplied a taxi paid for byJLR to collect a loan car from dealership yesterday

My FPace had been transported to the dealership that morning. So it was there when I arrived .I couldn't see the belts. I had a good look but couldn't locate them🙃

What I did notice was coolant has come out of top of expansion tank

Also not sure if this has any bearing on the overheating but when speaking with service manager in addition to the rear exhaust section which was changed as exhaust had stuck valves back in September. I also found out it had the EGR cooler replaced

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just had a call from dealership . 1st impressions are the alternator has been moving around and the belt has shredded and when it's done this it's taken out the water pump belt

Not brilliant on a car with 4800 miles on it that was new in March

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alternator moving around ……. Wow.

Whilst it’s hard to believe on a modern car (or an old one come to that !!!!), it could make some sense explaining the symptoms of shredded belts.

Have the bolts come loose, or not initially torqued up I wonder. Did you hear any rattling on starting before the shredding ?

Cheers Will 🙁

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alternator moving around ……. Wow.

Whilst it’s hard to believe on a modern car (or an old one come to that !!!!), it could make some sense explaining the symptoms of shredded belts.

Have the bolts come loose, or not initially torqued up I wonder. Did you hear any rattling on starting before the shredding ?

Cheers Will 🙁

Hi my wife was driving car on motorway . I assume she had music on as she said she didn't hear any unusual noises Said no symptons just became aware of the overheating warning on dash so pulled over to hard shoulder.

It appears a few other MY21 have had this belt shredding. Not sure on how alternator may have moved. Just going on what the dealer told me when they called today.

They have ordered some parts and will have to check if engine has been damaged from overheating. I personally never want to see the pile of junk again.

I just can't understand how they get away with making such unreliable cars. Even the new CEO has said publicly they need to get on top of reliability. That's all they do is talk a good game and offer faux apologies when you are faced with the next load of hassle .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My wife has a new F Pace 2021, delivered March and at 5,000 miles, the drive belt shredded and left her stranded on a motorway as well, first indication was the air con stopped working and then it closed down. JLR were quite efficient repairing the car but it was disappointing (ironically, first car she has ever had that she loves!). I have an F Pace on order if it ever turns up that will be doing 30k a year. Hope its reliable because I ordered it because we were so impressed....

·
Registered
651 Posts
Do they fit the starter generator on all FPace models or just the hybrid/PHEV models?.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Already had rejection open on the exhaust valve issue. This latest issue has been added to case Jaguar Financial Services already 2 weeks over 56 days time frame. Can't be bothered to get ombudsman involved.

Best option appears to be sell back to dealers ,as one thing going in cars favour is that it has gone up in value in fact more than I paid. I ordered through carwow and got a discount and also was a manufacturers contribution at the time.

Jaguar won't swap the car .They just offer faux apologises. If this is such an issue as it appears to be with alternator belts Their is a thread open where a few have suffered this. What are JLR doing about it.

My worry is they replace parts like for like and this happens again.

Feel I have no choice other than to sell car and end this nightmare. Annoying as mentioned previously I traded in an 8 month old GLE for this. I ain't getting that back especially with prices for them going up considerably

It's a shame as the car looks lovely but I didn't buy it for that sole purpose

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would say contact finance company as a reminder that's what I did , what's the progress and how long more till the conclusion etc.

Meanwhile maybe you can check what is the value you are getting if you sell it and then you can compare which is more beneficial rejection or selling.
In my case rejection was a win win.
Now the difficult part would be to find the replacement car once it is gone unless you have another car and can wait.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
As it stands selling it back to the dealers is 7 grand more profitable than rejecting it , and that is even if JLR finance gave me back all my payments since April. That is why I'm not really pushing finance company.

No chance of getting car swapped and under no illusion another JLR car would have similar problems.

I've had 4 evoques 3 rejected and now this FPace. They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results 😆

Dilemma is what to get as I need a car.

Mine is still at a different dealers from the one I purchased it from. I assume waiting for parts and engine needs checking to see if any over heating damage when alternator belt wiped out water pump belt

Shame as it is a nice car when it works.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, I totally understand your frustration having rejected a dodgy Nissan Primera a few years ago.
As for your new ride a friend has a Skoda Kodiaq that he is really pleased with, and we’ve been delighted with our old Octavia and our Fabia estate.
Mark

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was in similar situation like yours I guess drove all JLR cars in 18 months of ownership besides my 2018 F pace R Sport 25T petrol.
I loved that car but it never behaved.
As for rejection they deducted for the mileage and returned the remaining money , at that time they charged .45p per mile if I remember correctly.
Then there was a time to find a new car there were plenty JLR branded cars available but I was so scared that I dropped the idea.
In 2020 August nearly any car you would order was having delivery date of February 2021.
Luckily I found Audi Q3 vorsprung TFSI 45 readily available so went for it.
I was in desperate need probably like yours so I went on looking Nissan qashqai , and other Japanese brands but the engine power was on a bit low end on all those.
I think now a days it's more problematic due to semiconductor shortages if you are going to factory order waiting time is like 6 months to a year almost all brands.
Getting a used car is madness as it is priced more than new if you consider the new car Apr, discounts etc.
So you would need to find a car that is readily available or is on order by a dealer and arriving in few weeks.

Regards,
KJ

1 - 20 of 41 Posts