Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought but has anyone tested your mpg differences between the three modes?

I've just done a tank full with dynamic mode, mainly around the town and to my surprise there seems a slight improvement of the normal mode. I wonder is the fact it's more eager to go in dynamic mode mean I'm less inclined to be heavier on the throttle?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I tried and got pretty much the same figures in each setting... I think, like you, that I compensate by opening or closing the throttle more or less.

By the way have you (or anyone else with the 3.0 diesel) tried pulling away in 1st? I assume everyone knows that in auto the box pulls away in 2nd.

In my Evoque I never used 1st as it was impossible to pull away smoothly.

In the FP however (3.0 d anyway) it's absolutely brilliant. Yes OK I know I am supposed to be running it in. In my defense I changed up at 3000rpm.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've used 1st but only occasionally because I'm almost always in auto, have to agree it's brilliant and pulls away like a scalded cat.

BTW the mpg was only marginally better in dynamic by 0.8mpg but in all my other cars which had a different throttle/gearbox setting you paid at the pump for using this setting so it's a nice change that the F Pace isn't like this. Also I find the combination of dynamic engine/gearbox is brilliant and a mode you could easily use everywhere as it does try to keep you in a lower gear when using little throttle.

I think the people who actually take the time to test drive a Jag will be pleasantly surprised just how good they are to drive compared to the competition.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
luminated said:
Yeah I've used 1st but only occasionally because I'm almost always in auto, have to agree it's brilliant and pulls away like a scalded cat.
Keeping it in the maximum torque band through 1st to 4th gears was a delight, knocking up at 3000rpm each time. The rate I accelerated felt awesome. Reminded me of my XKR. Felt as quick. I wasn't using full throttle and the car felt as if it was hardly even trying. Zero drama. Other than bags of pace. Interestingly as I then hit the brow of a small hill the car felt really hunkered down and absolutely stuck to the road (none of the bouncy stuff I'm getting around town).

Looking forward to keeping my foot down once run in :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
;) sorry but I am the dunce of the forum! I didn't know the auto 3.0d pulled away in second gear by default. Why is that? And does this mean that you need to use the flappy paddles to select first?

Just out of interest, can any explain this so I understand it a bit better?

Thanks

Arianne

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Arianne said:
;) sorry but I am the dunce of the forum! I didn't know the auto 3.0d pulled away in second gear by default. Why is that? And does this mean that you need to use the flappy paddles to select first?

Thanks

Arianne
Hi Arianne

Yes it's been a Jag/Land Rover feature for as long as I can remember. My Mk 1 2006 RRS SC did the same thing and every JLR car I've had since. The 2.0 FP will be the same.

In Auto it will pull away in 2nd gear. If you want to engage first you just pull the left hand flappy paddle and it will hold the car in 1st until you are ready to pull away. Zoooooooooooooom :)

So, this means on your extended test drives you've not experienced first gear ... think of the excitement to come!!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Arianne said:

Thanks

Arianne
Hi Arianne

Yes it's been a Jag/Land Rover feature for as long as I can remember. My Mk 1 2006 RRS SC did the same thing and every JLR car I've had since. The 2.0 FP will be the same.

In Auto it will pull away in 2nd gear. If you want to engage first you just pull the left hand flappy paddle and it will hold the car in 1st until you are ready to pull away. Zoooooooooooooom :)

So, this means on your extended test drives you've not experienced first gear ... think of the excitement to come!!!
And in a 3 litre petrol that's going to be a reasonably rapid start.
Arianne don't you be worrying about MPG - it's all going to be pretty low :)
Eco is very sedate and I guess in traffic and the slow stuff it's fine but even then when a 30 metre gap opens up can't but help give it a little blip
Probably why I'm doing 22-25 on longer mixed runs, 16 in heavy town and not much else so far :)
Dynamic getting a lot of love partly for the suspension but also for the engine pickup and sound.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Arianne said:

Thanks

Arianne
Hi Arianne

I think it's a feature of the ZF 8sp auto, I'm sure my Audis and BMWs did the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts