Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to tidying up the junk from the old car into the new... thrown some and saved some, usual routine. I found that under the space saver wheel there is a large space for a bag of my emergency essentials ( few select few tools, gloves, bulbs, tape and cable ties, all the emergency junk I carry around) plus space for a useless "rear area net" which came as part of the practicality pack - it will never get used!

But I also found the battery positive terminal cover hanging off and the terminal itself was very loose, I could twist it by hand and the tightening bolt I did up with my fingers and then used a spanner!

I've had enough cars and over the years learnt that a lot of electrical problems stem from bad earths, bad connections and damaged wires. After finishing tightening and fitting the terminal cover (it clips into place) and tidying the boot I went to configure the SIM in ICTP . I've had a few issues, nothing as bad as some on this forum so far, as they've all been intermittent and minor. But when I started the car, both heated screens came on, the air con was off and the audio was on a channel I'd not used or selected. All very odd! I turned them off and completed the SIM install and everything seemed to work (fingers crossed!).

Could that slightly lose terminal connection have been part of the problem? Just in my car perhaps?

Here's photo of the hanging cover, loose terminal not so easy to display, you can just make out the slight gap on left side of battery terminal which closed when I tightened it! The proximity of the wheel bracket / battery clamp also makes an exposed terminal inside a car, where any thing small could fall and short out the battery, a potential fire hazard.. it would be worth checking the cover is in place!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting....ill look at mine tomorrow......

·
Registered
922 Posts
Come to think of it, now I remember my son also noticed the cap off when he took out the spare wheel to offer it up to his DS3 for a laugh!! Pretty sure the dealer said that battery should be fully charged as part of pdi process?. Are they forgetting to replace cover? :?

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
So, let's see, forgetting to replace battery terminal covers, forgetting to tighten terminal connections properly, forgetting to visually check for delivery damage marks, forgetting to visually check for shut-line alignments . . wonder just what else they forget to do as part of the "PDI", just remind me again, what does PDI stand for . . . ? :evil:

·
Registered
922 Posts
P, payment
D, denial , nothing wrong with it!!!!
I,in with the next mug.. I mean customer!! :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've checked mine and the -ve terminal was loose.....we'll see if that stops the glitches occurring.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Crikey.. :eek: :oops: . That would be something wouldn't it!! :shock: if several million pounds of fault diagnostics was left high and dry by a forum member stumbling on the fault caused by defective Orginal fitting, or PDI non conformance procedures eh! :?
Who from Jag is monitoring this site now... If any!!! Best get them checked I think!! And get Jag to check the that torque wrench on the line too! DOH !! :roll:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I once heard of a PDI not being done on a Ford Focus RS and the bolts holding the engine in hand not been done up correctly. The customer got half a mile and the engine dropped. It was a write-off. I'm sure that order words could be put to PDI like "Pretty Darn Important"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.