Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone I finally gave in waiting for discounts and ordered my new F Pace on Christmas Eve .The dealer did have an IRR 2.0D prestige Manual with latte interior, heated windscreen, heated seats, pan sliding sunroof, power fold mirror priced at £38,495. The sales man then realised the car also had retracting side steps which he wanted another £2000 for!!! That unfortunately blew it for me but it might suit someone else as the car is ready to go!!

Any way I finally ordered what I wanted (well I mean what I could afford after losing 2 shed loads on my Ghibli). I have opted this time for a manual gearbox and wanted to know how people were getting on with theirs??

Ordered 2.0D Manual Prestige IRR, privacy, pan sliding roof, rear camera, power fold mirrors, electric reclining rear seats, grey interior, side steps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Yes had an XF 3d for 6 years loved it loved it loved it!! Changed to the Maserati - Hate it Hate it Hate it!! after a 2 hour drive I can't walk and can't get the seating position right. Makes the wife Ill and also now have a dog!!

I test drove the 2d auto twice and felt it was no comparison obviously I wasn't expecting the same power but I thought the box sounded gruff and held on to the gears too long. I know these 8 speed auto boxes are more efficient and smoother but I would rather do a few miles less to the gallon and have longer ratio gears like my old jag, hence the decision for a manual box.

Russell

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi Russ. Interesting thanks. I've had a few brushes with almost Maserati ownership in the past so that's useful knowledge. In fact I was buying a second hand Granturismo when I happened across the XKR and so began my jaguar ownership.

I know what you mean about that many ratios. A couple of cogs too many if you are going to play with the paddles. My 6 speed auto in the Evoque felt like the right number. The 8 speed ZF changes beautifully (mines is smooth not rough at all) so it's ideal for auto mode but in manual mode you can find yourself clicking away like mad trying to find the right ratio.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi and welcome, there are a number of old stick shifters in the forum :? so you should get a balanced view of the ownership experience. Personally I prefer a manual for the extra driving involvement.
Are you getting AWD or RWD as I have the latter and can say the extra tail fun and throttle blipping ... when the law allows of course is great. It is also lighter again which helps performance and mpg. Again it depends entirely on your needs from the car.. towing or country lane driving
Let us know if we can help/ advise or confuse you with anything else.... hopefully you will take delivery of it before April tax rises!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jags Cat

Thanks very helpful. I thought the lighter manual with 6 gears would be more responsive and fun to drive. I too have ordered the rear wheel drive as the only mud mine will ever see is will be the mud left on the road by a tractor. I don't tow and i might occassionally park in a gravel car park but that's it. If it's icy I walk to work!!

I am reading various articles now about a new 240bhp engine that might be fitted to the F Pace next year, do you know anything about it?
Also if you are driving normal (when the wife is in the car!!) is the engine noise less gruff with the manual?

I have driven a manual DS Sport with the ingenium 180 bhp do you know if it is anything like that??

Thanks for your info and help

Russell

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi JLRnumber 5

Thanks for that - yes on my test drive of the F Pace, Disco Sport and Evoque I found if I drove like the wife was in the car all the time they are lovely smooth motors, but the minute I wanted to kick down and overtake I was left with a lot of noise and frantically using the paddles to find a gear that would actually pull. My friend has the old 6 speed auto evoque which perfoms really well so he won't change for the new 9 speed for this exact reason. I belive they may be bolting a seconf turbo to the ingenium engine which will boost its power to 240bhp. Now if that is true where my old XF was far better than the Ghibli is that when the second turbo kicked in it really kept the momentum going unlike the single turbo which runs out of puff within seconds!!

PS love the XKR - I think they are going to be a real classic and worth a fortune in years to come.

Thanks

Russell

·
Registered
922 Posts
There is no official news on the 240 Ingenium.... it may be announced in the new model year along with colours but jag is remaining tight lipped as ever.
As to the noise level, my wife has one of the first Ingenium powered Evoques with the 9 speed auto. It seems little quieter than my F pace but then it probably has more sound / different insulation!!!
Again with the manual you are in total control of gears and you get to know how to get the most while not over stretching the rpms, of course even on the autos you can still override selection..... just really depends on your preference like most things.... which is why they give you the options.... as I have said before,!!! All options are a compromise either financially or performance wise so you pays your money and takes / makes your choice.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I'd be very surprised if we didn't see the twin-turbo 240bhp in the FP. It's already made its debut in Land Rover products.

Still think the ZF 8 speed is one of the best autos in the market. Mated to the 3.0d it always seems to keep the car in the torque band. Having two turbos does help of course. It does hang on to the gears on full throttle for slightly too long (about 200rpm too long) when it gets a bit wheezy rough and breathless so I find myself changing up manually but that's only on those rare full throttle occasions. For me it's one failing is when you manually downshift you are never sure how many cogs it's going to skip. Seem like if you are in 8 it will usually always choose 6 or 5 next. Same with 4th. Couple of times I've downshifted twice approaching a roundabout to find myself in 1st rather than second. Means you are always having to glance at the rev counter to see what's going on. Probably that's when the HUD comes into its own.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Russjag said:
I have opted this time for a manual gearbox and wanted to know how people were getting on with theirs??
Hi Russjag, another manual owner here, five months in and absolutely loving it. I went with the AWD option to give it that little extra sure-footedness and help on the occasions when needed up here in the wild hilly north. I found the car was very good right from the start, but after a couple of thousand miles it got all run-in properly and it really shows how capable it is, drives very nicely with plenty enough torque for me; the gearbox is surprisingly good, gear changes are smooth and easy, but positive and well balanced for the 2 litre diesel, with no lack of power. I'm sure you'll love it :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Catwoman

Thanks for the info i was having second thoughts. For the last 8 years i have had an auto but with a 3.0 diesel engine and rear wheel drive only. Before that I had a manual A4 Quattro which was lovely but as I don't rally or even enter a field of any description and may once in a blue moon park in a grassy car park I thought i would save the 2k difference and the extra weight of the AWD.

I am pleased to hear how smooth and responsive you are finding the gear box. Are you also able to tell me whether the engine noise is quieter in the manual when accelerating? Given the 6 speed manual will have a different gear ratio to the 8 speed ZF I am hoping for a quieter engine under normal driving. Does the dynamic button make any difference in the manual? Sorry to ask so many questions the dealer here didn't have a manual to test.

What mpg are you averaging?

Thanks

Russell

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I was never in any doubt that I wanted a manual FP because, after having two previous autos in the last few years, I find driving automatics rather boring and I'm afraid even the flappy paddles aspect didn't win me over this time either, 'cos it's just not the same as driving with a six-speed stick shift. I actually enjoy driving with the steering in my right and my left hand on the gearstick, it feels perfectly natural. And six gears are plenty.

As far as the engine noise goes, that's probably more of a subjective area to discuss, depending on what you're used to and what your own preference is. I came from an Evoque SD4 Dynamic (which was also a manual, incidentally) and I find the FP well within tolerance and a more refined gearbox. Yes, you'll hear it under acceleration, of course, but when driving at speed it is certainly no noisier than I would expect. Sorry, it's hard to be more specific for you here.

The 'dynamic' setting makes a really big difference! Big smiles with a noticably more lively throttle reponse, the car really wants to leap forward, but with a slightly more weighted feel on the steering . . I love driving it in dynamic mode, it makes the sizeable bulk of the car feel like it is half it's weight!

Consumption doesn't seem to be adversely affected by driving in dynamic mode either, surprisingly. I just looked again this morning and, according to the trip computer, my overall accumulated average since day 1 is showing as 39.8mpg, but on a decent run it's possible to return above 50, without even trying. So, as usual, it'll depend on the type of driving you do.

Hope some of this helps with your purchasing decision, I know it's not easy, but whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your car!

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
Not believing the manual thing :shock: sorry
There is absolutely no comparison :shock:
Except a big price difference :?
The 8 speed ZF is amazing and two hands on the wheel is safer :eek:
Just saying :shock:

To quote a recent comparison between manual and auto the conclusion on driver participation was
"Do automatic gearboxes involve enthusiastic drivers less in the overall experience? Some may suggest so but with many high-end supercars not even having a manual gearbox as an option, it seems perhaps they don't. Ferrari don't offer manual gearboxes simply because demand dwindled away." :shock:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ Agreed the ZF box is one of the best in the game .. but mine has developed a very annoying problem. I've read someone else on here having the same problem but can't find it through searching, so was wondering if anyone else was experiencing it.

When pulling away from standstill the revs now rise to around 2200rpm before the torque converter starts to do it's thing, and rises all the way to around 3000rpm before the box is putting all the torque to the wheels. Makes for a very noisy and sluggish pull away. Feels like the old days of a slipping clutch! I think it's just a software reset thing. Anyway not going to bother as this one goes back at the end of the month, but interested to know if others are experiencing it.

(sorry for thread hijack I guess it's kind of related!)

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I have the 3 litre diesel with automatic box and no issues, you are aware that in automatic mode not using the paddle shifts the car starts in 2nd gear, try it with the paddles, select 1st gear and go and then use the paddles to change gear and see if it goes, I and others find it a massive difference.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ yes very aware.. I've been pointing this out to others frequently (and it's been that way on all other JLR cars I've owned)

No this is a very noticeable change in the torque conversion that used to take place over a rev range from about 1000rpm-1500rpm from standstill, but now occurs much higher.

Makes it feel like a CVT box if anyone has every driven one of those. My 3.2 Audi TT had one ... horrible thing it was.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Yup I haven't found a scenario yet in which it will pull away in first gear unless you tell it to.

It only really makes a difference if you want to do a sub-6 second 0-60 ... otherwise 2nd is fine. Oh and if you want a really low gear for steep down-hill. But then there's descent control for that too.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Waynem said:
Is it still the case of a second gear pull off even if the car is on a steep hill?
If that is the case why have 1st gear ? :shock:
Do they use it on the rain, snow ect setting for the slow pull away?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts