Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes me. Its awesome. Very smooth and slick and feels very solid. I think I'm getting better economy than people with autos also. Returning 40mpg plus even with engine not run in. Guy from the dealer said you have to wait at least 1800 miles to start getting good economy. Also haven't got a clue about people saying the 2.0 diesel is noisy. Its smooth and very refined. Certainly compared to my 2012 VW 2.0 I had!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Manual for me too. Cost was a big factor but type of roads driven too. It's great to hear feedback on how it is in use. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The manual gearbox thing is interesting. I remember the days when auto boxes were unreliable, slow to change, lazy affairs which cost a premium and came with the added anxiety of unreliability. In those days it was quicker to change gears manually.

But auto boxes are unbelievably effective and slick now. They have more gears than their manual counterparts, change up and down faster than most humans can, are fabulous around town and are reliable. They still cost more!

Other than initial cost, why would anyone prefer manual to auto? If it's for the pure joy of driving (debatable point but one often suggested by my son with his Audi TT) then why not use the manual, flappy paddles since they now deliver instant shifts according to the driver's command.

Just a thought and perhaps may spark a good natured debate?

Arianne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Manual for me,as I live out in the sticks and the pure enjoyment of a stick change .If I lived in the city it would definitely be auto.Resale price not an issue as I plan on keeping it for quite a few years .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Manual for me, mainly due that I will be venturing off road & having tried both manual & auto for this, I much prefer the manual box for the control & feel you have in comparison, imo. Plus when I have had paddles before, all I want to do is race.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Arianne said:
The manual gearbox thing is interesting. I remember the days when auto boxes were unreliable, slow to change, lazy affairs which cost a premium and came with the added anxiety of unreliability. In those days it was quicker to change gears manually.

But auto boxes are unbelievably effective and slick now. They have more gears than their manual counterparts, change up and down faster than most humans can, are fabulous around town and are reliable. They still cost more!

Other than initial cost, why would anyone prefer manual to auto? If it's for the pure joy of driving (debatable point but one often suggested by my son with his Audi TT) then why not use the manual, flappy paddles since they now deliver instant shifts according to the driver's command.

Just a thought and perhaps may spark a good natured debate?

Arianne
For me it would be a semi-automatic.

The best 'box I ever had was the SMG-II on my E46 BMW M3.

All the convenience of an auto, all the fun of a manual, and loved to be able to blip the throttle as it was passing through neutral. Fantastic experience.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have never had an automatic, always thought it was for people who couldn't drive. However my f pace test drive converted me, and that's what I've ordered, I thought it was absolutely great. I'm still not sure what to do with those paddle thingys but it will be fun learning.

·
Registered
184 Posts
From the mouth of someone senior I have contact with at JLR him- "are you going for manual or auto?" me- "auto" him "good because our manual box is not the best".

Not trying to start an argument, just recounting a conversation....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hmmm, thorny subject in our household SWMBO used to race bikes, well enough to win a UK championship so knows a thing or two about getting the most out of an engine and gearbox, she is very definitely in the manual camp, even in our discovery with 1in 3 hills which when towing a Horsebox loaded with a couple of big horses can make things tricky.. Frankly I contend it would be a dam site easier with an auto, very much so when reversing with a half an arm span each side on our narrow lanes... I have done some serious off reading in an 1984 G Wagon auto and I latter had a slightly tweaked defender manual, personally I would choose the auto for off roading it allowed me to pick the path n difficult terrain and contend with fast changing ground conditions by locking into low ratio 2nd and it could drop to 1st if required, I could focus on brakes and throttle critical when climbing over large rocks.... It's interesting to see what we both do in my A5 Quattro's when in the mood, me, I switch auto to sport to sharpen the changes and if really pressing on paddles to down shift into corners and get right on the torque curve for fast overtaking, my good lady however slots into manual and flicks up and down the box whilst missing the clutch :D.....

All personal taste isn't it and none the worse for that.....these days maximum attack driving is something I very rarely do, busy roads, and high performance engines, back in late seventies I rowed my MGB along on the box constantly trying to ekk out small incremental gains, same with my mk 2 golf gti, these days not really required I could anileate a early gti in drive on an auto box in the 2D never mind the 6's.... But I might have the odd bit of fun in deepes darkest Wales with the SC when she is run in and then I will be using the paddles.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
AlSnr said:
I have never had an automatic, always thought it was for people who couldn't drive. However my f pace test drive converted me, and that's what I've ordered, I thought it was absolutely great. I'm still not sure what to do with those paddle thingys but it will be fun learning.
Ive had auto boxes for a few years now and they are great, this new 8 speed with the paddles is ace, in normal auto mode tho when you drive round a corner and you slow down it can hesitate and not drop a gear quick enough, but if you pre empt and activate the paddles you can drop the gears 1st and accelerate out of the bend quite satisfyingly, does take a bit of practice with the gearing to get used to what gears work best for what speed range, but it is fun learning.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I test drove the F Pace auto I found it suffered a certain lag to change down similar to my VW DSG box and I find this really frustrating. I suppose thats what the paddle shifts are for but really could not justify the extra cost for an auto if I was to use the manual style paddle shifts anyway?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I don't get the manual box thing?? Since Auris come with flappy paddles you wanna go manual flick over to paddles. I am constantly driving with the paddles as autos can't anticipate bends and so you need to change down ahead of the expected corner. Switch to queueing motorway stop start and bring on the auto. My Evoque gets AV 35mpg but driven sensibly (and boringly) I did return 45.5mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts