Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen much on the forum about the LED headlights and have not noticed them listed in many signatures, is it just me or aren't they a popular option?

I drove back home on Sunday evening on B roads and unclassified roads through Derbyshire and it is very dark on these roads with little light, though there was a full and bright moon this Sunday.

I was very impressed with the LED headlights, especially with the amount of light they throw out and best of all how the dip beams move with the steering to keep the beam pointing along the road at all times. It made driving along these narrow country roads in the dark an absolute driving pleasure, even spotted a dear running back into the woods at one point.

The only negative is that I'm sure the photochromic lenses in my glasses went black when approaching large white junction signs, slight exaggeration but the reflected glare when on main beam was very noticeable. I suspect it wouldn't be very pleasant approaching these lights if the oncoming driver left them on main beam, I was using auto dip/main which as far as I could tell worked perfectly with no one flashing me to complain.

Admittedly only having only driven about 650 miles since I have had the car and only twice at night along dark roads I am very impressed with the visibility they provide compared to the Xenon lights on my previous cars.

How are others finding the LED headlights and why did or didn't you select this option?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I didn't and kinda wish I had ... I rarely drive out of town so wasn't too interested in long distance vision. I hadn't realised however that I would lose the side turn lights activated by the steering that I had on my previous Evoque with bi-xenons.

So I think these are my one spec regret.

·
Registered
688 Posts
First experience of LEDs and adaptive lights on this car for me and they're great. That pure white light really illuminates the dark roads and the lights are quickly dipped on detection of oncoming cars

·
Registered
143 Posts
For me it was simple. I didn't choose them.
1. I didn't think I needed them. Zenons are good enough??
2. I didn't need adaptive lighting.
3. I have a fairly long list of options and there is a limit to what I could spend.
Leds just didn't make it to the final list.
I might regret it depending how good the Zenons are.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Standard fit on my First Edition and they light up the road really well, never test drove with any other form of light so unsure as to how they compare to the other alternatives.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Timbo62 said:
For me it was simple. I didn't choose them.
1. I didn't think I needed them. Zenons are good enough??
2. I didn't need adaptive lighting.
3. I have a fairly long list of options and there is a limit to what I could spend.
Leds just didn't make it to the final list.
I might regret it depending how good the Zenons are.
Agreed
1.They are
2. Never had it, haven't missed it...
3. I had spent enough on things I wanted as well

No regrets, I drive at night quite a bit, including 3 nights already, and zenons are more than enough. I spent £800 odd on Zenons as options years ago on a BMW, now they are standard, happy days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I still remember the good 'ole days of swapping out standard halogen bulbs on the original XF for Phillips Ultra Super Blue White Bright (or something) to have any chance of seeing a motorway lane marking in the wet. Removing the original XF headlights to replace those - which you had to do every 3 months or so - was a feat of manual dexterity. Xenons are good enough for
me as a result. The real oldies or the kids who have grown up staring at backlit devices may need something more.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Not much comment as it's not been till recently the nights have drawn in. I physically jumped one night when the auto main beam went on and as someone mentioned I was suddenly illuminated with reflective BRIGHT light which I wasn't expecting....... it truly made me jump!! Makes me larf too when you flash someone, like a bank of paps photographing a star.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have them and love them. Regardless of their light giving quality, one of the key reasons I went with them is I think they make the front of the car look better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I added them as I wanted the latest 'tech' and to future proof the car, I also preferred the look. I must say on full beam they are fantastic on dipped no difference to the xenons I had in my previous Merc. My Merc also had cornering/moving lights and intelligent high beam assist. The high beam assist was useless on the Merc and I nearly always had to override it, the Jag system is far superior.
My only niggle is the Merc system would go to dipped headlights once (I think) you dropped below 30mph, whereas the jag system only goes to dipped once you are below about 15mph. Therefore when approaching a 'T' junction with full beam its dazzling all of the crossing drivers until the last moment.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
flameboy said:
I have them and love them. Regardless of their light giving quality, one of the key reasons I went with them is I think they make the front of the car look better.
That was one of my reasons too, made the front so much more futuristic and hoped better lighting too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In addition to the improved lighting I also think the J blade indicators look neat.. :cool:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Are those indicators only on the LEDs? I know the xenons have the led j blade too so assumed it was the same there too?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought all the new(ish) Jaguars have the J blade lights, my 2011/12 XF did with its xenon lights.

·
Registered
688 Posts
IIRC the halogens don't

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ruski said:
I added them as I wanted the latest 'tech' and to future proof the car, I also preferred the look. I must say on full beam they are fantastic on dipped no difference to the xenons I had in my previous Merc. My Merc also had cornering/moving lights and intelligent high beam assist. The high beam assist was useless on the Merc and I nearly always had to override it, the Jag system is far superior.
My only niggle is the Merc system would go to dipped headlights once (I think) you dropped below 30mph, whereas the jag system only goes to dipped once you are below about 15mph. Therefore when approaching a 'T' junction with full beam its dazzling all of the crossing drivers until the last moment.
I too have high beam assist on a merc, but the problem with that is that counter-intuitively you have to speed up to 35mph going down dark roads when you can't see whats ahead then almost to justify your faith the lights come up. Much prefer the jag.
The LED's are awesome, I also love the look and the orange J Blade indicator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

Could somebody tell me more about the intelligent LED headlights on the F-Pace? I currently own a VW CC with intelligent lights. The CC's lamps work like a charm. They turn into every curve, even the high beam. Whenever there is a vehicle in front of me, the high beam makes a black hole where the other car is, which moves with the car as we both travel on the road. If there is oncoming traffic, the high beam dips, but only on the side where the other car is approaching. This way the visibility is always at the fullest.

Is this how it works on the F-Pace too? Because I was looking at the explanatory videos on YouTube and it seems to me that the high beam is switched off completely whenever there is oncoming traffic or a car on front. There is no semi-switched off showing on those movies.

I would appreciate every answer as I'm about to buy an F-Pace S and I would like to be convinced that I make the right choice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
cslazzar said:
Hello!

Could somebody tell me more about the intelligent LED headlights on the F-Pace? I currently own a VW CC with intelligent lights. The CC's lamps work like a charm. They turn into every curve, even the high beam. Whenever there is a vehicle in front of me, the high beam makes a black hole where the other car is, which moves with the car as we both travel on the road. If there is oncoming traffic, the high beam dips, but only on the side where the other car is approaching. This way the visibility is always at the fullest.

Is this how it works on the F-Pace too? Because I was looking at the explanatory videos on YouTube and it seems to me that the high beam is switched off completely whenever there is oncoming traffic or a car on front. There is no semi-switched off showing on those movies.

I would appreciate every answer as I'm about to buy an F-Pace S and I would like to be convinced that I make the right choice.

Thank you!
Hi
It doesn't have the black hole effect , they auto dip for oncoming traffic or when getting close to vehicles in front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts