Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I look at the Remote App it always shows my F Pace's last parked location about 200 yards away from my house. Its always in the same wrong location too. Has anyone else seen the same issue on their Remote App?

Strangely the last parked location in the Route Planner app is very accurate.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah it happens to me too. Use to think my car was parked on the street parallel to mine when it was clearly outside my house. Not had it in a while now though.

I do have my car connect to my home wifi when on the drive so might help get a more accurate location

Edit: the app currently thinks my car is on my neighbours drive with me in their living room!

View attachment 663

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine seems pretty accurate, but a bit of a gimmick, until I flew back from Cyprus on Monday evening. In the dark the long stay car park seemed more confusing than it had when it was light, and I was bright, on leaving a few days before and I missed my bus stop, so looked on the App and was able to see exactly when the bus had looped back near the car and followed it right to the car!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes, mine lives next door as well, even giving their address. It is fine by me as it gets me close enough if I have lost her, however it is a little odd....

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
I'm at number 5 but my car thinks it lives at number 18. As long as they wash it I'm fine with that :)
. . it'd be nice if they'd put fuel in it too, eh? ;)

These cars really are big cats . . it seems like they even spend time round at other people's houses, just like their little domestic cousins, bless their little padded paws! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Do not think any commercial used GPS systems can pin point your location to 100 percent, try your mobile phone and it's just as bad and my old tomtom used to not get me correct but it was close enough, when moving it does then seem to locate you better on all devices which is a little strange or maybe the signal gets better and so the way it locks onto the location improves. Either way I would say it's just as good as other devices.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
JLRnumber5 said:
I'm at number 5 but my car thinks it lives at number 18. As long as they wash it I'm fine with that :)

These cars really are big cats . . it seems like they even spend time round at other people's houses, just like their little domestic cousins, bless their little padded paws! :lol:
LOL .. very funny :)

Actually one downside of my car not regularly visiting the dealer is that they used to valet it and put fuel in it ... going to have to wash it myself this weekend for the first time in 3 months!

I do have to say though that white with black wheels really does a great job of hiding the dirt.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
catwoman said:
JLRnumber5 said:

LOL .. very funny :)

Actually one downside of my car not regularly visiting the dealer is that they used to valet it and put fuel in it ... going to have to wash it myself this weekend for the first time in 3 months!

I do have to say though that white with black wheels really does a great job of hiding the dirt.
Yes I had a white Audi that seems to camouflage the dirt really well, you would think black would but that's the worst colour to show dirt.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I think it's three-fold ...

1. White doesn't have that shiny gloss surface that marks so easily
2. Dirt when it dries turns a pale grey colour so actually is closer to white than dark colours
3. Dirty wheels always make a car look dirty - these matt black wheels are miraculous!!

I used to wash my Evoque once a month at best and it always looked clean (ish)

I actually think SUVs look good with a little dirt splatter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Technology is amazing or is it?, In a way for some this technology is gimmicky but I have other thoughts behind this technology and the potential uses it has. Of course Jaguar are using our car journey information for analysis in one way or another which I believe is a good thing. But I see this as the embryonic phase of our cars being controlled by "Big Brother". Think of it, if you are able to start the car to warm it up via your phone, well, need I say no more. Come the day when your car refuses to start because your insurance has run out, unlikely really with Jag owners, road tax not paid for, traffic violation or the wife has put a block on the car :lol: Scary stuff I say but that day will come but for now we can still enjoy some form of freedom with our cars.
...now, where did I leave my car? Oh yes, Ill check my memory with the phone :lol:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
^ I share your concerns on Big Brother. I once bought a storage device that also stored to the "Cloud", I asked how to turn it off, the shop guy's first reaction was, "what have you got to hide?" My reply is the same now, nothing, but I like to know what I'm sharing with whom I'm sharing and when, all in my control, sneaky snoopers can take a hike!

Having said that the Jaguar route logging suits me too, I'm sure Jaguar collate more information than they declare. Probably at some point they will have to disclose this in court and then we can all sue them for data infringement via a collective suit. Right now if they only track what I can see, that's OK with me!

·
Registered
122 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
Having said that the Jaguar route logging suits me too, I'm sure Jaguar collate more information than they declare. Probably at some point they will have to disclose this in court and then we can all sue them for data infringement via a collective suit. Right now if they only track what I can see, that's OK with me!
If they did, they'd be in massive amounts of trouble with the Information Commissioner's Office and face some massive fines, as your journey logs would be regarded as personally identifiable information.

Here is their register entry that describes what they capture, what they do with it, and who they capture it from. As you can see, it's a pretty broad description. But this is their declaration of what they collate.

https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/ZA020510

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I love this one:-

•goods or services (including any telematic and connected car services)

So what I said above means they can store anything from the car that they want to! Now if they used this to log the faults and collate that info... Oh I forgot, from previous Jaguar experience, the car doesn't actually log much fault information, they missed a trick here!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they want to track my car they will end up around 150 yards away on a different street! Well that's if they use the remote app. Perhaps it's by design to protect our privacy a bit like in the early days of GPS where the military introduced a deliberate error into the location for non military users? Or maybe it's just a bug, which is a lot more likely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
PeterT said:
If they want to track my car they will end up around 150 yards away on a different street! Well that's if they use the remote app. Perhaps it's by design to protect our privacy a bit like in the early days of GPS where the military introduced a deliberate error into the location for non military users? Or maybe it's just a bug, which is a lot more likely.
So, it appears that the location of the car is always a distance away from the actually reading on the app...which means I still can't find the bloody car in the airport long term car park :lol:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Guys if your system is showing only a few yards away you should count your lucky stars because I just checked mine and though the car is shown at the right address it has me more than 200 yards away. :lol:

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is a good safety feature ... so if someone steals all your keys the car doesn't take them to your house.

Once close in a car park use the Horn + Lights feature on the app find it!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just pasted the coordinates from the InControl export into Google maps and it points right to my driveway every time again.

The only time it was not accurate was when the car was in an underground car park.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was prompted for an update for this on Android OS today, can't say it looks any different and my car is still on next doors drive too!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts