Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The App thinks the car is two streets away when its parked outside, yet when it was at the detailers & dealers the accuracy appears to be spot.
I've tried resetting and rebooting phone, but no joy.
Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
453 Posts
RayE said:
The App thinks the car is two streets away when its parked outside, yet when it was at the detailers & dealers the accuracy appears to be spot.
I've tried resetting and rebooting phone, but no joy.
Any thoughts anyone?
Mine used to do that occasionally but it had one of the so called ICTP updates a couple of weeks ago and i put latest version of IOS and the latest version of in-control App on my iphone and not had any location issues since.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine struggles to show the correct status of the car - locked or unlocked, but I think that a common problem.

It eventually remote started the engine for me this morning, welcome on this cold day !

Hopefully new version of ICTP software will resolve all of these.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So some history with the remote app, having had 2 x XE's I have been using this for 16+ months now - in terms of geolocation, it can vary and is very much down to visibility of the vehicle in its surroundings, high buildings, trees and so on stop it from getting enough satellites to be accurate so it gives you best last known location. This can also apply if you live a little bit in a poor signal area as it adds the cellular tower triangulation data to the map data as well. In terms of remote start - well that had me kicking lumps out of a JLR employee who was sent to my house to discuss my 44 item issues list on my XE. If you drive you car to a dealer, they put it on a trailer and move it away without triggering the alarm or starting the engine, your car will still show where it was last recorded, outside your house! Hence they try to upsell you to the tracker service which is always on as opposed to on on-demand.

Basically in weak areas of signal the system will try to send data to the car and if it fails to connect, drops during the process or timesout because it can't contact the car - it will fail and you get a useless non-informative message - usaully like "climate stopped" or "cannot contact car". However if you then try to beep and flash the lights it will work, so you scream that it must be able to contact the car. Apparently the data communication elements are different, the remote start needs to stay connected to the car during a sequence of events (lock door, gear in park, etc, etc) and if at any time it drops out it will fail. The beep thing takes no time at all and is a quick trigger to activate. Bearing in mind how flaky the wifi / 3G module is you can understand why there are some issues.

Also I had a big argument with them about my car being in the centre of Reading, on the top floor of an open air car park in a full 4G area on every network under the sun and it wouldn't work. For 3 weeks they recorded my commnications with the car and identified the issue. There is a failsafe on the diesels where if the DPF flter is over a certain level of full / carboned up / whatever it is called - it also fails, but doesn't tell you why that it has failed. For me at the time I was doing a slow 4.5 mile, 30 minute commute each way every day and not much else - giving it a good run on the motorway, then trying it in the same place after that and it worked first time.

Regarding the locked, unlocked saga, I have also had this and panicked when it reported windows or doors open and I dash out to see it locked up, safe and sound - this just seems to be a crappy bug that appears from time to time!!! Unless again of course it is failing to finish its sensor check and upload before losing signal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Works every time for me to be fair, once I got my head around the DPF issue I have never had any issues (or at least changed my expectations a little - however I would say that the 2.0D seems to suffer a lot more with the DPF issue than the 3.0D in my experience), the location services are within a few feet and the data is useful for the old expense claims.... I live in a crappy signal area (0-1 bar on most networks) and I can get the auto start working, with maybe 1 in 10 times I have to try more than once. And it has notified me when the alarm went off due to an over exuberant cat using my car as a refuse after being chased by a fox!

·
Registered
688 Posts
the App does unsurprisingly have its moments too. I have the same issue occasionally where it thinks the car is parked on the road parallel when its clearly on my drive. I've also had a few issues the last two mornings trying to remote start with the app complaining about network delay (or something similar)

Agree with the comments about the location not always being up to date. in poor receptions areas (well poor for the FP) the app shows the previous location.. nearly had a heart attack when I first had the car as I was showing the app to a colleague and it was showing unlocked and not in the station carpark where I'd left it earlier that morning!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Mine tells me quite often my car is not where i left it, like all things to do with the Jaguar electronics systems and Apps i would say they are 50/50 at best to work and work correctly so would not worry too much.

Maybe the Holy Grail of Software Patch 2 is going to wash all our issues away.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Waynem said:
I still think most of the issues are not due to software , cause everybody would have the same ones :?
Not necessary as not everyone has the same extras, uses there ITCP the same ect ect.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Waynem said:
I still think most of the issues are not due to software , cause everybody would have the same ones :?
It's not software it's the connectivity to the vehicle and it's ability to send updates and get geo-location data.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Having spent a lot of time chasing earth or ground faults in data circuits over a number of decades (not the same fault) I have wondered when listening to the description of the issues that owners are experiencing, including the apparent poor performance of the 3G reception, whether the issue is more physical, I.e the earth bonding between panels, components, chassis, etc. rather than an issue with the software that has no doubt been tested to death in the lab and other controlled environments. The impact of paint between panels and the efficiency of antennas can be quite surprising and measurable compared to the same installation that has good bonding....... I shall stop here otherwise the non-engineers reading this will probably fall asleep.

On a positive note, I have been told that when I call in to the dealers tomorrow I will leave with either my working F-Pace or an F-Type until everything is sorted, half wishing mine isn't fixed in time!

Jim

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jim said:
Having spent a lot of time chasing earth or ground faults in data circuits over a number of decades (not the same fault) I have wondered when listening to the description of the issues that owners are experiencing, including the apparent poor performance of the 3G reception, whether the issue is more physical, I.e the earth bonding between panels, components, chassis, etc. rather than an issue with the software that has no doubt been tested to death in the lab and other controlled environments. The impact of paint between panels and the efficiency of antennas can be quite surprising and measurable compared to the same installation that has good bonding....... I shall stop here otherwise the non-engineers reading this will probably fall asleep.

On a positive note, I have been told that when I call in to the dealers tomorrow I will leave with either my working F-Pace or an F-Type until everything is sorted, half wishing mine isn't fixed in time!

Jim
Hi Jim, good luck with that, to be fair either outcome is not the worst!!
I agree about the physical aspects of these problems but feel that is more likely around the interoperability aspects of the various modules.
The sheer number of potential combinations is immense. This car has this and that and this tried to do this while that was doing that, or nothing. It may be down to the architecture of the system, which whilst on a whiteboard looked epic, in reality looks tragic.
Fingers crossed here.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Jim said:

Jim
FType is a step up from the normal loan car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts