Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jaguar design director Ian Callum told Auto Express during the 2015 NAIAS, that at some point, the company was considering the X-Type moniker.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Sleeve Flag

"Creatively speaking, I had little role in the choice of the F-Pace name, but I was clear on saying it needed to have a reference to sportiness", said Callum. "We played with the letter X a lot - XQ was one option but we felt Q is too much of an Audi thing, and of course Aston Martin uses Q."

No Q, then. So, what was next on the menu? "We even toyed with the idea of calling it X-Type, which would have been an obvious one. Had there not been an X-Type in the past, it would have been a good choice. I was brave enough to go for X-Type, but there were a lot of other people who weren't."

He divulged that around eight names were put on the table before being short-listed to three, and then the F-Pace moniker was chosen for the production model.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why does there have to be so much association with the F-type? Maybe someone can enlighten me? We know it's a Jaguar, and that it occupies a different market to the sports car so why should the naming convention be similar to that extent?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jaguar created shockwaves by announcing that the name of its forthcoming SUV would be F-Pace. In a candid interview with Auto Express at the Detroit Motor Show, Jaguar's design director, Ian Callum, explained his role in the choosing of the F-Pace name, the challenges he has faced in creating Jaguar's first ever SUV .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts