Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my dealer today to get my car back after having five issues resolved and they had taken a large delivery of customers cars for the 1st of September delivery, gave me chance to look over a few and to say the build quality is very random is being polite, some had great panel line ups but some had what I could call rubbish and that's me being polite.

Spoke to the dealer who said that is what they are getting at present and the production line claims they are within tolerances, now I am not an expert or claim to be but when you run your hand down the side of the car and the doors are up and down and boots and bonnets gaps are not the same then I say this is poor.

Joked when I said to the dealer that perhaps they should slow down and concentrate on quality and not quantity.

Have said before but this is meant to be a premium brand and people are paying a lot of money for what I call average build quality.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jasonfpace said:
Which dealer?
I do not think its fair to name dealers as the dealer has been amazing in resolving my issues and its not their fault and I do not want to worry people who may be on this forum awaiting delivery.

I am sure you understand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, unfortunately I didn't see my car at the end of the build, but I did see the doors refitted during assembly, the operative looked very competent and the gaps were checked several times. whereas the general assembly is largely computer controlled, the final adjustments and checking is done by humans! unfortunately humans can have off days!!! :!: ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MDBAT said:
Hi, unfortunately I didn't see my car at the end of the build, but I did see the doors refitted during assembly, the operative looked very competent and the gaps were checked several times. whereas the general assembly is largely computer controlled, the final adjustments and checking is done by humans! unfortunately humans can have off days!!! :!: ;)
OK thank you.

·
Registered
948 Posts
MDBAT said:
Agreed, humans can have some very off days. :lol:

People complain on here about panel gaps as if it's a new thing but my M3 had some awfully big gaps, did it stop me enjoying the car..... hell NO.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I don't think it is so much the cars have poor panel fit but having been on several factory tours and a VIP FP release, we are sold the cars on the hi-tech process they follow with micro tolerances and computer controlled build quality time after time after time.......the reality is far from this. I have had a spray painted clip fall out from my n/s front hinge, and found a spare steering wheel locking nut cap from side of the steering column in the rear footwell!! Not to mention my o/s headlight shunted back into the front wing/ bodywork!!! I just bought my daughter s brand new Hyundai i10 and the fit n finish far exceeds the JAG which cost more than 6 times her car!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
luminated said:
MDBAT said:
Agreed, humans can have some very off days. :lol:

People complain on here about panel gaps as if it's a new thing but my M3 had some awfully big gaps, did it stop me enjoying the car..... hell NO.
I agree but when your paying for a premium brand car and no disrespect to other brands of cars I expect a panel gap to be a lot closer then mine was, it was 10mm out in two parts, the door had dropped and the bottom had come out, the body shop of the dealer did a great job to resolve this but it just should not come off the production line so far out.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My M3 hadn't quite as big of gaps as 10mm but some where sizeable and the issues did stop there, the M-DCT dual clutch transmission had a mind of its own especially when it went down the gears back into second because more often than not once you applied the throttle again you got nothing... zero forward motion for what felt like an age which of course it wasn't. Then there was the leather on the driver's seat and the constant calling with the dealer to remove the stones that got into the rear disc guards.

My point is yes such things shouldn't happen especially at this price point but the reality is that it does and more often than your think and Jaguar aren't unique in this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.