Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my ITCP and ripping CD's.
I have ripped 4 or 5 ok, those that support track names and CD images are shown, those that dont just show a track number.
However, it seems now when i rip another CD it just adds the tracks to a generic queue and wont show the CD's in my usual queue of albums.
Also, when playing an album ripped from a CD the first few tracks play as they should then it seems to move to random tracks in the generic queue.

I do NOT have random/shuffle on so it isnt that.

any ideas or is this a limitation?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ hi Davis

The CD/media player issues are well known. The 2.5 update improved some cars but sounds yours is like mine. There's no fix available at present.

So I gave up with the CD/media player. The HDD is only 10GB anyway.

Get yourself a USB thumb drive (I paid £22 for a 128GB Samsung USB3.0 drive). Rip all your CDs to it in the comfort of your home and pop it in the USB slot. Voila. Works a treat. You can voice search too.

Much easier for editing later rather than the clunky built in interface. You can Rip lossless with all that available space.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had a feeling that it needed an internet to check the name of the songs and artwork, and doesn't store this info ... but if the memory stick always works then that's blown my theory out the window :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
From memory, the MP3 system supports tagging that means the names/artists etc info is stored within the MP3 file itself. Not sure that has always been the case - i think the ITCP has logos i've noticed that mean at the point of ripping a CD they use Gracenote and other databases to get the names from CDs etc as part of saving them - thus if you rip indoors /when on a decent connection the tags will be saved and you'll be good to go in terms of naming etc.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
^ hi Davis

The CD/media player issues are well known. The 2.5 update improved some cars but sounds yours is like mine. There's no fix available at present.

Get yourself a USB thumb drive (I paid £22 for a 128GB Samsung USB3.0 drive). Rip all your CDs to it in the comfort of your home and pop it in the USB slot. Voila. Works a treat. You can voice search too.

Much easier for editing later rather than the clunky built in interface. You can Rip lossless with all that available space.
Oh nice!! Now ya bloody tell me after I've bloomin rejected mine!! Using my phone and USB stick and CD on the Fix Or Repair Daily and it's great!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Carl, why CD and USB stick (I am assuming your USB music files are lossless)?

I would have thought that would just mean swapping back and forth between sources as opposed to just selecting what you want to listen to and leaning back to be entertained. I buy CDs and then just rip them on to the USB stick so all my music is together from a single source, with the CDs just being an offline archive.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
^ hi Davis

Having found that the system doesn't like my ipod classic ( car controls shuffle, play an entire album etc doesnt work), I'm assuming that when I get round to loading up the usb stick it still won't show album artwork as itunes needs to attach the art which won't happen with the car?

Or am I missing something?! ;)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ you don't need to have a 3G connection to get album info it's contained in the metadata on the USB stick when you rip your music. Providing you use method that rips album art. Which pretty much means any recognised format so don't worry. The ICTP uses gracenote (google it).

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
^ you don't need to have a 3G connection to get album info it's contained in the metadata on the USB stick when you rip your music. Providing you use method that rips album art. Which pretty much means any recognised format so don't worry. The ICTP uses gracenote (google it).
Ok thanks JLR, I've had to manually add a lot of my albums artwork as gracenote can't find them so I have to have a folder with them in.... It's a sham it doesnt seem to support the ipod classic - something to do with the ios for those 'older' ones - not that it's that old!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Sounds like you must have very esoteric taste! I think I've had about a 95% hit rate with album art. I ripped everything using iTunes and in ALAC format. Well there's a few FLACs as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had a 500 gb audi hard drive which I used for 7 years in two different cars and it worked very well. Bit dissapointed that it has not worked so well and doesn't really fit in the cubby hole of my new fpace. Doesn't read the folders like the audi mmi so finding music is a real pain now. Was searching for a solution and never even thought about a small usb jump drive as to my mind they were only small capacity. Just ordered a 128gb, very small sized usb jump drive which will free up space in the cubby and hopefully I can index the files better so they are easier to search and find.

Any tips on the best file systdm to format to? Ex FAT or NTFS?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Gem said:
Had a 500 gb audi hard drive which I used for 7 years in two different cars and it worked very well. Bit dissapointed that it has not worked so well and doesn't really fit in the cubby hole of my new fpace. Doesn't read the folders like the audi mmi so finding music is a real pain now. Was searching for a solution and never even thought about a small usb jump drive as to my mind they were only small capacity. Just ordered a 128gb, very small sized usb jump drive which will free up space in the cubby and hopefully I can index the files better so they are easier to search and find.

Any tips on the best file systdm to format to? Ex FAT or NTFS?
Usb sticks need to be FAT or FAT32 format according to the handbook. There are many helpful 'how to' hits if you do a Google search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.