Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the gearchange thread, but in case no one reads that in time....

I have mentioned on here, that my 3.0d S seems a little lackluster off the line, but a healthy prod gets it moving, well I thought this was a quirk of the car as others suffer too...until mine went in for the software update yesterday, and they lent me their FP demonstrator. Immediately as I pulled off, I noticed it was more instant, more va va voom, exactly the same from 3rd gear onwards, but 1-2 or indeed just 2 from a standstill, is markedly more pleasant to use.

Whilst my car is in, what can they do? I will obviously ask them too, just trying to get a steer in case anyone has had theirs remedied

TIA
Piers

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi Piers ... don't know I am afraid .. agree that in Normal mode the gearbox seems to spend quite a while doing it's torque converting .. I actually don't mind that as it makes it very relaxed around town. If you put it in Dynamic it's then much more instantaneous. I don't think it's just your car .. the demonstrators I drove were like this too .. that of course doesn't explain the anomaly you are now driving.

I have noticed it really does adapt to your driving style so the more laid back you are the more laid back it becomes. After a spirited drive I have got back in the car a few hours later and thought "wow cowboy .. hold on there!" ... doesn't sound like this is the issue though (although of course we all drive the demonstrators like we are at Le Mans!!!)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi Piers ... don't know I am afraid .. agree that in Normal mode the gearbox seems to spend quite a while doing it's torque converting .. I actually don't mind that as it makes it very relaxed around town. If you put it in Dynamic it's then much more instantaneous. I don't think it's just your car .. the demonstrators I drove were like this too .. that of course doesn't explain the anomaly you are now driving.

I have noticed it really does adapt to your driving style so the more laid back you are the more laid back it becomes. After a spirited drive I have got back in the car a few hours later and thought "wow cowboy .. hold on there!" ... doesn't sound like this is the issue though (although of course we all drive the demonstrators like we are at Le Mans!!!)
yes its hard for me to comment as I've got the petrol and quite frankly cant really remember what my 3.0 D test drive was like apart from I didn't notice any sluggishness at all.
The gearbox does adapt and an engineer warned me that if you do drive hard in a certain mode it will change and my dynamic does jump up and down heck of a lot even if you are close to touching the pedal (I've given it some stick and accelerate at any opportunity).

I noticed a dead patch or travel on the accelerator on a 2 litre model I recently tried but put that down to the engine and setup. My old XF felt the same and I had it in Dynamic nearly all the time as the throttle response was much more accurate and responsive as soon as you touched the pedal.

May be worth testing that demo you got and then going back to your old car and seeing how it compares again in both dynamic and normal

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have the 2.0D Auto AWD and find that in normal and drive it is fine for driving around town and cruising on the motorway. As I decided to get the 2.0 I didn't expect blistering performance but find that on windy roads set in dynamic and sport using a heavy foot it works fine. Not as good as my much lighter 2.2D XF was, nor as good as the old 3.0 petrol XJ but all in all for such a big beast it is still a pleasure to drive and throw around.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I really noticed this today for some reason. In dynamic mode I drove to the gym. From cold the gearbox was very responsive. Pulling away as soon as I applied throttle. On the way home with the car still slightly warm (OK OK it wasn't the best workout I've ever done!!) the revs would rise to 2500 with zero forward movement then the torque converter would do it's thing to gradually apply forward motion. Strange. Never really spotted it before. Same journey 50 minutes apart. Same settings. Very different experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.