Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Is it legal or not, please inform us all

17K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  XERoy 
#1 ·
Hi cs jaguar
please can you confirm whether it is legal or not to use the remote start app on public roads.

Many Thanks

#28 ·
Apollya said:
JLRnumber5 said:
I'll take the risk of getting a ticket. It will be an interesting conversation!
Having read the article it sounded very much like the police usually remove the keys and offer gentle words of advice and inform the people that it is against the law. Also sounded like the Mercedes driver in question was rude and argumentative to the officers and didn't listen, so he got a ticket. Might've been an officer having a bad day or a stickler for rules following the letter of the law, who knows.
Will be interesting to see there face when they can not get in and no keys for the Fpace :shock: :lol:

#29 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Will be interesting to see there face when they can not get in and no keys for the Fpace :shock: :lol:
The Mercedes that got ticketed in the daily mail article had remote engine start, with no keys too, at least that's how it read to me. So glad I have a bit of drive in front of the garage on my properties land.

#30 ·
Apollya said:
Jagfpacejk said:
The Mercedes that got ticketed in the daily mail article had remote engine start, with no keys too, at least that's how it read to me. So glad I have a bit of drive in front of the garage on my properties land.
Yes me too but I bet there is some law against that also. :cry:

#31 ·
Hi all, as some of you are aware....... for my my sins I was a police officer a number of years ago, and I would stand by the fact that....that the officer has a limited degree of discretion.... depending on the circumstances of course!!
I also learnt quickly from the more experinanced officers that a great deal of the end result..... would come from the attitude of the person being spoken to.
I of course cant comment on this particular incident as I wasn't there or know this officer in question. Do police have off days like any of us ? Yes of course... do most of them behave professionally in the execution of thier duties.... again all I can comment on are the teams and individuals I severed with defiantly were.
The law sometimes is an ass.... sometimes it contradicts itself, sometimes it makes no sense and sometimes it has just not kept up with the times as the technology has advanced a PACE.... if you pardon the pun.
What I will say is this, I truly believe everyone should try being a police officer for just a week.... trust me It would change some of your outlook on life!!
Hard, difficult, challenging, at times very distressing to witness things happing and everyone is looking at you for answers or resolution... whilst
trying to keep things as safe, calm and dignified as possible.
Don't get me wrong.... also a very rewarding job.... at times, but you usually only get to see people at their worst.... :twisted: but on occasion it has to be said at thier very best!!

Happy new year everyone....
regards.....

#32 ·
Jags cat said:
Hi all, as some of you are aware....... for my my sins I was a police officer a number of years ago, and I would stand by the fact that....that the officer has a limited degree of discretion.... depending on the circumstances of course!!
I also learnt quickly from the more experinanced officers that a great deal of the end result..... would come from the attitude of the person being spoken to.
I of course cant comment on this particular incident as I wasn't there or know this officer in question. Do police have off days like any of us ? Yes of course... do most of them behave professionally in the execution of thier duties.... again all I can comment on are the teams and individuals I severed with defiantly were.
The law sometimes is an ass.... sometimes it contradicts itself, sometimes it makes no sense and sometimes it has just not kept up with the times as the technology has advanced a PACE.... if you pardon the pun.
What I will say is this, I truly believe everyone should try being a police officer for just a week.... trust me It would change some of your outlook on life!!
Hard, difficult, challenging, at times very distressing to witness things happing and everyone is looking at you for answers or resolution... whilst
trying to keep things as safe, calm and dignified as possible.
Don't get me wrong.... also a very rewarding job.... at times, but you usually only get to see people at their worst.... :twisted: but on occasion it has to be said at thier very best!!

Happy new year everyone....
regards.....
Happy New Year to you too Jags Cat. Thanks for your experience as a copper, must be one of the most toughest and stressful jobs going and I have the utmost respect for them. The only runnings Ive have with the police is in 2 car accidents that I was involved and the one memorable one being stopped on a clearway as I was doing 20mph over the speed limit...he gave me a warning :) that happened over 20 years ago where attitudes were very different and traffic offences were not considered much of a money raising industry. Not sure if the police are allowed to give speeding warnings these days.

#33 ·
Haven't read all member replies on this subject. However, I have read numerous articles against warm-up of petrol engines in place. The worst result is cylinder washdown by raw gasoline that is detrimental to the oil film on cylinder walls that reduces. wear. Raw gasoline also dilutes the oil in the crankcase, reducing the effectiveness of the oil, irregardless whether conventional or synthetic. For non-believers, Google should convince you otherwise.
Happy New Year
Sam

#34 ·
autoansguy said:
Haven't read all member replies on this subject. However, I have read numerous articles against warm-up of petrol engines in place. The worst result is cylinder washdown by raw gasoline that is detrimental to the oil film on cylinder walls that reduces. wear. Raw gasoline also dilutes the oil in the crankcase, reducing the effectiveness of the oil, irregardless whether conventional or synthetic. For non-believers, Google should convince you otherwise.
Happy New Year
Sam
Sam, interesting post. I did google th topic.... http://www.dieselhub.com/tech/warm-up-cool-down.html

About a month ago we found ourselves in our Volvo XC60 for about 20mins on a cold start up on a winter's day hoping it might produce some heat beyond the heated seats. But to no avail, despite me prodding the throttle and increasing RPM to around 2k. As the article said - no load = no heat.

Which is why I am intrigued by the Remote Start function of the F-pace. Just how does Jaguar manage to extract heat from the engine block so quickly when the car is only sitting there on idle? Something interesting is happening that makes it different from other diesel cars.

When I first learned about this function I dismissed it as a gimmick because I couldn't conceive of how the engine could produce any heat quickly enough to make the cabin toasty. That's usually the job of a separate Webasto heater which, as an aside, Jaguar have on the options list at about £1k.

But early adopters on this forum who have their cars testify to the effectiveness of the Remote Start, quoting 5-10mins as sufficient to achieve a warm cabin. So what is making this happen?

Anyone? If the engine is hot then perhaps the issues that Sam is discussing are of less concern? And, in any event, use of Remote Start isn't a frequent event for most of us.

Interesting thread. Any thoughts?

Arianne

#35 ·
The way I look at it is that in the winter I'd be running the car idle while I scrape the ice from the windows ... now the car does this for me .. and probably quicker, so regardless of if it's good or not for the engine I'll be using the remote start.

As for summer ... I'm going to wait and see how hot the car feels inside. If it gets really hot then I may use Remote STart to cool the car down ... but I'd rather not.

#36 ·
I take it that the FP doesn't use the same system used by Range Rover that uses some kind of electric heater once the engine is running. This gives warm air though the vents within 2-3mins. Reading other comments about cold air blowing into the cabin leads me to believe this option hasn't been taken from the JLR parts bin.

#37 ·
I've used this feature both in summer and winter now, in summer the cooling effect is pretty awesome and works really well. Imagine being on a packed commuter train with no air-con, no windows and a collection of people some of whom do not use soap, the effect on getting to the car already cooled was brilliant!

So far on the few cold mornings its been good to defrost the front screen but side windows still need scraping (not hot air of any use for ages blows on them) so for me its a less beneficial option in winter.

As for police issuing a ticket my understanding is that you can still challenge this in court. For example, some years ago an over zealous policeperson ticketed half a street of cars for parking the wrong way at night (if you don't know the letter of the law is that you park in direction of traffic at side of road at night!) . Anyway these people all challenged the tickets and the court threw them out and admonished the policeperson for wasting the court's time... if you get a ticket for this ask a solicitor to find this precedent and get it throw out, it was mid/late 1990's!

I wouldn't be surprised that if anyone got a ticket for having engine running and not attending the vehicle and then challenged it, producing the evidence of the feature, and locks etc, it might also get thrown out too. I'm not saying this is 100% certain but courts do look at cases and dismiss them on this basis, time is precious for us all!

So the answer could be, it is illegal until successfully challenged in court.

#38 ·
Arianne said:
autoansguy said:
But early adopters on this forum who have their cars testify to the effectiveness of the Remote Start, quoting 5-10mins as sufficient to achieve a warm cabin. So what is making this happen?

Anyone? If the engine is hot then perhaps the issues that Sam is discussing are of less concern? And, in any event, use of Remote Start isn't a frequent event for most of us.

Interesting thread. Any thoughts?

Arianne
It does have a PTC heater in the cabin so it can warm with electricity. The extra load on the engine also then helps it warm up.

#39 ·
Okay, a PTC heating element - that's helpful and explains it then. Thank you for the post as I couldn't work it out. Now it's clear.

Arianne

#40 ·
I am coming to a diesel FPace from owning a petrol xe for 18 months. I used remote start, nearly every day in the winter and at least twice a week in the summer months. It was used on my drive, street, outside cinema, train station, etc etc. Never had an issue with the law, or engine wear. Part of the reason I stayed with jag is because of this feature (as well as awesome ride and handling / looks etc).

Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.