Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just contacted my car insurance company regarding changing to the F-Pace on Monday, nice surprise received a refund, and took the opportunity to read through the policy details. Under the "not covered" section it says it won't cover if car is unlocked etc., or if the keys are left in, on or attached to the car, fair enough. Then I thought about using the activity key, the whole point of which is to leave the keys in the car, deactivated, while you go off and do stuff wearing the activity bracelet. So if the car is broken into or stolen it will have the keys in it and when I did have one stolen years ago the insurers did want to see the keys as proof that you had not left them in the car. So do deactivated keys count as keys, if so car uninsured!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
The keys will not work, once you use the activity band the keys will not work unless the activity band is used to unlock the car, then the keys will work.

I think the car deactivates the keys and activates the keys with the band.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
The keys will not work, once you use the activity band the keys will not work unless the activity band is used to unlock the car, then the keys will work.

That's not the point though. The keys would be in the car and the insurance would be invalidated.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:

That's not the point though. The keys would be in the car and the insurance would be invalidated.
How would you start or enter the car?

If they broke in they would still have to start the car with or without the keys.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I had my M3 stolen without keys. Don't trust the manufacturers immobilisation technology. Thieves will find a way around it. There was a spate of RRS disappearances around here last year to the point where my neighbour now locks his RRS with a bright yellow crook lock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the issue with my dealership who contacted Jaguar, who say the activity is Thatcham approved.
So contacted my insurers and after a long call, in which they checked with the underwriters, they confirm the car will not be covered for theft while using the activity key.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Ok that's good news. I wonder if the same will apply for the remote start?
I was about to say that's not great if you bought the activity key

He says WONT be covered even though jag saying that ham approved

Remote start I guess is different not having the key in the car but potentially may fall foul of the same principle.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Don't tell them the keys were in the car, tell them your car was taken and if they ask say your bag was stolen also.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
Don't tell them the keys were in the car, tell them your car was taken and if they ask say your bag was stolen also.
That's a bit of a risk. When my car was taken without the key I had a very serious grilling from police in person and a face to face visit from loss adjustor and conversation with their fraud team. They left no stone unturned. I certainly wouldn't want to make up a story that would be tantamount to insurance fraud.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
I know I meant my comment to be ironic sorry wasn't obvious.
Ha you never know with forums. I tend to take them literally at times and have misread stuff myself so sometimes miss the irony or sarcasm

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
That's a bit of a risk. When my car was taken without the key I had a very serious grilling from police in person and a face to face visit from loss adjustor and conversation with their fraud team. They left no stone unturned. I certainly wouldn't want to make up a story that would be tantamount to insurance fraud.
Then all i would say is do not use the activity key then without knowing the risk.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Insurance companies are always behind the curve. I remember when they would charge a premium because you switched to winter tyres. O let's get this straight then..... I switch to winter tyres so I don't slide into [fill in the blank] and clearly I am demonstrating that I am someone who takes safety seriously, don't try and muddle through the snow and ice on summer tyres and will spend a few pounds to be safe, and the insurance company wants to charge me an extra premium. Now, none of them charge a premium to my knowledge.

Same with the Activity Key. So Mr Insurance Company, you would prefer me to take my key and leave it in my jacket pocket hanging on the fence of the five-aside football pitch / drop it out of my ski jacket as I fall or [fill in the blank] so that someone can pick it up and bleep it in the car park to see which Jaguar flashes its lights and then drive it away?

If I take the Activity Key, it is on my wrist and can't be stolen. It'll be harder for the thief to pinch my F-Pace than if they simply lift the Key from my pocket.

Oh well, it's a risk I can live with until these firms catch up with 21st century technology. I guess the thieves will get their first!

Arianne

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is a bit like Schroeder's cat. It could be argued that whilst it was a key, the moment the car is locked with the Activity Key the object inside that was once a key, is no longer a key because it has been deactivated. It is in effect just a lump of plastic and metal. Only once the act of unlocking the car with the Activity Key is completed does that object return to being a key.

Almost worth getting your F-Pace stolen to go to court and argue that one out!

G

·
Growler said:
This is a bit like Schroeder's cat. It could be argued that whilst it was a key, the moment the car is locked with the Activity Key the object inside that was once a key, is no longer a key because it has been deactivated. It is in effect just a lump of plastic and metal. Only once the act of unlocking the car with the Activity Key is completed does that object return to being a key.

Almost worth getting your F-Pace stolen to go to court and argue that one out!
;) :roll: :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ Good point. Reduces the risk a little of any claim being rejected because you can successfully argue that you didn't leave the key in the car whilst still maintaining your integrity. A key is an object that unlocks or activates something and, once the Activity Key is in use, the traditional key is no longer a key. I like that, thank you!

Did you study law or tax?

Arianne

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A key is an object that unlocks or activates something and, once the Activity Key is in use, the traditional key is no longer a key./quote]

Unfortunately the underwriters understood that the key was deactivated, but claimed that someone could potentially clone or activate the key, so it still counted as a key in their eyes, so no cover.

Over the next few days I intend contacting several other insurers to see if I can find any with a more enlightened view, I think the activity key would be really useful and would be willing to move to another insurer, even at higher cost. I am currently with Churchill, but if anyone does succeed in finding a insurer who has no problem with the activity key I would be keen to hear who.

I saw in the info on the new Discovery that it would also include the activity key, as this new version of the Discovery will no doubt sell in large number I expect insurers will have to change their attitude at some stage.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts