Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to re trim the horrible plastic top cover of the instrument binnacle that sits on top of the vinyl covered dash.

The vinyl fabric that covers the dashboard is an anthracite color with a fine texture, does anyone know where I might find a good match?

My trimmer can only come up with a darker fabric with a heavier texture and a special order for one square metre of material is an issue.
Any help would be much appreciated :)

Also any help as to how the top cover is fitted is it a simple pull off ? I really don't want to break it!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
So had a look at mine today and the binacle is covered in exactly the same material as the dash. Now it definitely wasn't on the demonstrators so is this a new thing?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
So had a look at mine today and the binacle is covered in exactly the same material as the dash. Now it definitely wasn't on the demonstrators so is this a new thing?
JKR, can I check with you then...

... your dash will be wrapped in the faux leather with the fancy stitching? Does this faux leather wrap carry across to the little instrument binacle cover too? That would be something new from the early demonstrators and was something the journalists were critical of - i.e. The hard plastic shroud.

Arianne

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arianne,
You are spot on, my specification has the faux leather or vinyl with as you put it the fancy stitching. I understand this is a cost option but the shroud that sits on top of the instrument binnacle is hard plastic, yes it has a sort of grained effect but it looks bad.

I wasn't to find a good match for the faux leather / vinyl so that I can have the binnacle top trimmed and carry the stitching along the front. So any suggestions as to where I can purchase any such material would be greatly appreciated.

Also any thoughts as to how to remove the top cover?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Arianne said:
JLRnumber5 said:

... your dash will be wrapped in the faux leather with the fancy stitching? Does this faux leather wrap carry across to the little instrument binacle cover too? That would be something new from the early demonstrators and was something the journalists were critical of - i.e. The hard plastic shroud.

Arianne
Hi Arianne

Correct the faux leather wrap continues across the top of the instrument binnacle. It's not the nasty hard scratchy plastic that was in the two demonstrators.

I will take a picture and post later.

Cheers

JLR#5

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Arianne said:
JLRnumber5 said:

Arianne
Hi Arianne

Correct the faux leather wrap continues across the top of the instrument binnacle. It's not the nasty hard scratchy plastic that was in the two demonstrators.

I will take a picture and post later.

Cheers

JLR#5
JLR...that would be fab! I did take a look at your earlier interior pictures (Glacier White thread) but, as you say, a close up is needed as I couldn't work it out from the existing shots.

The demonstrator doesn't have the wrap on the binacle so it must have been another early production issue that the factory has improved? Thank goodness as that brittle plastic looked and felt cheap when you touched it.

Arianne

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Arianne and JLR#5,

If the later versions of the F Pace with the superior dash area do come with a leatherette binnacle top cover, then I might be able to order it as a part and keep the car "original"!

I too look forward to viewing the pictures, I wonder if Jaguar have carried the in my case red stitching around the front edge

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Russell said:
I wonder if Jaguar have carried the in my case red stitching around the front edge
My R-Sport blk/red interior has got the grained finish on the binnacle, although it is not the same padded 'soft-touch' feel of the main dash, and it doesn't have any of the red stitching detail on the binnacle facia itself (the stitching is just running along on the lower edge of the dash). I really like the red stitching detail in the car, it is one of my favourite things about that interior colour combo.

The binnacle design on my previous Evoque was more continuously integrated with the dash and had a much more luxurious padded feel over the instrument/dials section. But, to be honest, I much prefer the interior layout on the F-Pace over the Evoque, it just seems to have a generally more quality aesthetic about it.

Can I just say, this is the first time I think I have ever written the word "binnacle" in a post, anywhere! . . . and, there, I've now done it four times!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Agree with CW. There were parts of the Evoque that were better (the integrated binnacle and more soft touch plastics plus lined door bins and far nicer speaker covers) however the FP ergonomics and overall aesthetic works better. The driving position is brilliant and the seats are some of the best I have ever sat in.

There's been a definite improvement in quality between the original demonstrators I drove and the finished product of mine. Hard to say exactly what but the demos didn't feel like £60k+ cars whereas this does (just about). Very happy overall.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
.......... The driving position is brilliant and the seats are some of the best I have ever sat in......
I agree I took my parents upt' North 3hr journey and my father even commented how fresh he felt at the other end and that the seats were the most comfy he had ever sat in. Don't know if it's because they are 14 way adjustable so you truly can get that perfect fit?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
JLR, sorry to be a nuisance but....

.... the shroud - is it padded / covered in the same material or similar to the main dash wrap? When you tap it with your finger is it soft or hard plastic? The photos are great but I can't quite see whether it's the original plastic shroud but coloured and textured to look similar to the dash or whether it's really an improved shroud.

Short of asking you to post a video of your finger tapping it, which seems a bit much, a quick reply from you would make me very happy!

Thanks for being so kind and uploading the images, I mean it.

Arianne

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi JLR, Thanks for the photos but it looks exactly like mine, whilst it has a grained finish I think you will find it does not have the slightly soft feel to the rest of the dash area.

As Arianne has said if you tap the top surface of the binnacle it will most probably be hard plastic.

My desire is to match the dash fabric and have double edged red stitching around the edge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it looks exactly the same as the rest, then surely the answer is to not go around tapping your binnacles!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Arianne said:
JLR, sorry to be a nuisance but....

.... the shroud - is it padded / covered in the same material or similar to the main dash wrap? When you tap it with your finger is it soft or hard plastic? The photos are great but I can't quite see whether it's the original plastic shroud but coloured and textured to look similar to the dash or whether it's really an improved shroud.

Short of asking you to post a video of your finger tapping it, which seems a bit much, a quick reply from you would make me very happy!

Thanks for being so kind and uploading the images, I mean it.

Arianne
Hi Arianne. No problem!

So it's somewhere in between. To the touch it feels like the same material as the dash but it's not as soft. It is however softer than the 'riva hoop' behind it, and the door panels. It's definitely not the nasty scratchy plastic of the demonstrator that looked like an addition. I hated that. It now looks and feels more integrated. The difference in touch is marginal and I definitely wouldn't bother trying to upgrade it personally.

Just a thought. It also looks a different shape to the one in the demonstrator. Wondering if this is a difference between analogue dials and ICTP?

·
Banned
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some of the lower spec cars do not have the "soft feel" dash area. In my humble opinion it should be a standard feature and most certainly the binnacle top should be finished in exactly the same material, if selecting the soft feel.

The only option should be to upgrade to full leather, otherwise Jaguar are loosing out to what they claim to be there main competitor, the Porsche Macan.

I love my F Pace but have to admit that Jaguar are not even close to the Porsche build and interior quality. I am not referring to the design but quality of materials whether plastics or otherwise. Take a look at the lower door sections the plastic is cheap and nasty, as are the dreadful plastic pieces covering the interior rear door sections, these should be finished in aluminium and painted in body colour.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.