Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read various threads on this. My problem started with the above warning. Had the car from new. It's now coming up five years old but with only 48000 miles on the clock. The garage (dealer from whom I bought the car) advised possibly a faulty sensor. They looked at it when it was in for a service and appeared to rectify it (warning gone). Due to Covid I'm not driving much and five days later I took the car out. After four miles, the amber engine warning came up. The garage have told me it might be the sensor but it could be one of several causes. Anyone experienced the same?

·
Registered
623 Posts
At 50k the sensor itself is suspect, did the garage just cancel the fault code or actually replace anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. They didn't replace anything. If it has to be replaced are we talking significant expense. They charge £176/hr

·
Registered
39 Posts
first question i would ask is where do you get your fuel?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would drop Tesco and go for BP ultimate - costs a bit more but i get more MPG out of my 3.0 V6 with it.
see what happens after a full tank or 2. I hear morrisons has a high content of bio in there and a new ford transit really doesn't like it. ( we don't have morrisons over here so could be an old wife's tale)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since three times suffering very expensive (£700+each time) problems with the 'NOX' sensor on my wife's low mileage, albeit petrol BMW, I was advised (Honest John - Daily Telegraph) to use better quality fuel - used premium grade since - problem has not recurred.
Supermarket fuel is bought on the spot market and origin varies.
I only use premium grade fuel in the Jag now as well - my mileage is low and even lower throughout the pandemic - no problems.
Premium car - premium fuel - makes sense to me especially given that curing problems can be very expensive, so happy to pay a bit more for fuel - performance is better too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What about premium supermarket fuel?!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Surely the error message here relates to AdBlue, not the diesel itself?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do you get a message on the display or just a warning light? If the former, then what is the exact wording of the message?

·
Registered
623 Posts
rjw1000 said:
No. They didn't replace anything. If it has to be replaced are we talking significant expense. They charge £176/hr
The fault code should point to the faulty component helping diagnosis, if the car is out of warranty I would be going to a Jaguar independant, ad blue faults are a regular problem for many brands

·
Registered
29 Posts
I concur with the advice already given about going to a Jaguar independent workshop as £176/hr is blatant profiteering! I can thoroughly recommend sstmotors.co.uk in Banbury if you're near there, they'll give you a loan car too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately very distant from Banbury but thank you for your help and to all others. I'm now told it's not the Nox sensor but could be the catalytic converter. How can a fault on the catalytic converter cause the engine (amber) light to come on? Don't understand that. Talking big money now. (Incidentally I've had considerable trouble getting back onto this site for days)

·
Registered
623 Posts
If there is a possibility of the particulate filter being involved, assuming that it still drives normally take it out for a long drive and get it hot at least an hour to regenerate the Filter properly and burn any residues off the sensor.
if the NOX sensor is faulty it should show up as a fault code and be sending the wrong signal, this is fairly basic diagnostics.
The basic emission control is the same as a Discovery or RangeRover so would be familiar to LR independants as well as Jag

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that
Just to recap, this started following a top up of ad blue
"Incorrect diesel fluid quality detected" warning
(This happened just before the car went in for a service)
Whilst in for the service, diagnostics were carried out and when collected the warning had disappeared, presumably corrected.(Otherwise car had clean bill of health)
Next day, the engine warning light comes on for the first time (engine shaped icon, amber)
Taken back to Jaguar dealer, further diagnostics, they ran some procedure, took for a test run, problem solved. Charged £176
Car taken out for the first time two days later, engine light comes on again, after three miles. Phoned the dealer "probably the Nox sensor"
Taken back to the dealer (14.10.21). Further diagnostics. "It's not the sensor". "Probably the catalytic convertor".
This strikes me as trial and error with the dealer happy to charge for their guesswork irrespective of whether successful or not. I haven't given them the go ahead yet.
Am I missing something. If the dealer consulted Jaguar would they not be able to advise? Surely it can't be that sophisticated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts