Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my SC of this morning (and was given a very nice F-Type), faults are as follows
1. strong smell of petrol in the cabin when coming to rest and switching the engine off after a run (doesn't need to be at high speed).
2. large dinner plate sized oil leak on my drive
3. lost 1.5 litres of coolant, warning light came up on the dash on friday morning, header tank 3/4's empty
4. as i got to the garage and engaged reverse ICTP came up with cameras but no picture just a blank screen
5. ITCP sometimes reading CD's sometimes not
6. seeing if they can reset low fuel warning as it only comes on with 20 miles range which is not very helpful!!

Car is great to drive but i am a bit worried about fluids loss and very concerned about a fuel leak and risks associated with that....

will report back, car has just done 1000 miles BTW rear suspension issue is NOT evident..

·
Registered
688 Posts
interested to know how you get on with #6. If its a dealer only tweak, I might have to get mine to do the same

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jinjin said:
interested to know how you get on with #6. If its a dealer only tweak, I might have to get mine to do the same
currently car being retained by the dealer it has a leaking differential :cry: so having returned the Ftype I am now in a thrifty rental XE 2D ;)

well its about to be deposited at a station until thursday evening and hopefully by then they will have sorted the points above....

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Damn, wouldn't worry so much about the issues as surely once diagnosed it will get sorted with new parts.
I thought you were doing ok been given an Ftype but only for the day - not so good.

Hopefully they get sorted. Must be a real pain to wait for so long and then get serious issues.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The leak on mine turned out to nbe a pinion (?) oil seal leaking. I thought mine was the only one and it was an isolated mechanical case...perhaps not.
Mine has now developed the creaking occasionally when manouvering at slow speeds, so going in next week for a look-see. Asked about the starter motor cable, and he checked all of their systems but could find nothing related to my chassis no. (3,0D).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leaking from diff! Apparently they have to get jag approval as its expensive, they hadn't got that as of 17:00 yesterday but expected it today..... I order what parts availability is like, I guess I am about to find out, hopefully all done by Thursday evening.....

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The Gman said:
Leaking from diff! Apparently they have to get jag approval as its expensive, they hadn't got that as of 17:00 yesterday but expected it today..... I order what parts availability is like, I guess I am about to find out, hopefully all done by Thursday evening.....
Hey Gman - sorry to hear about this ... I guess unlucky. It's the way that Jag and your dealer now handle the issue that will define how you feel about the whole experience. They have the chance to shine, and the chance to get it very wrong. Sounds like they started off well (F-Type loaner - although whisked away a little soon but I guess it was just going to sit at the train station)

Will be very interesting to hear how the story develops .......

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Yes, good luck 'G', hope they resolve the issues.

By the way, when I first saw the title of this thread, for just a moment I wondered if it was going to be about driving down through France to Italy for the holidays..... :lol:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
Yes, good luck 'G', hope they resolve the issues.

By the way, when I first saw the title of this thread, for just a moment I wondered if it was going to be about driving down through France to Italy for the holidays..... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Taking mine to Switzerland for Christmas .. can't wait!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today's update, I had to ring the dealer (common with Hatfields Shrewsbury) no Jaguar haven't signed of the replacement parts yet :oops: :shock: :evil:

The dealer has asked for a complete new diff so that when they strip mine down to replace the seal if they find more issues they can swap it....." Jaguar always take a while to sign these things off, it normally takes over 24 hours" but given the value there working through the approvals.... I have just given them £62k FFS.......

But the other parts have arrived and been installed.....I stopped asking at this point as I had a conference call to join, but I will find out what else needed replacing tomorrow.... Glad I am in Switzerland working otherwise I might have been onto to the JLR switchboard like a swarm of angry wasps looking for a target....

As you said JLRnumbers how they handle this could/might/will define my ownership experience......

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
To be fair if it takes 24hrs to get approval it's not too bad. The fact they have the other parts and have fitted is pretty good and sounds like they are on the ball and trying to get sorted. If it turns to days and weeks then well...
Hopefully can get sorted by weekend for you. Real B ache to have to send it back in.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mbadger77 said:
To be fair if it takes 24hrs to get approval it's not too bad. The fact they have the other parts and have fitted is pretty good and sounds like they are on the ball and trying to get sorted. If it turns to days and weeks then well...
Hopefully can get sorted by weekend for you. Real B ache to have to send it back in.
I know it's just frustrating especially when it disrupts the job had to delay travel yesterday... My Audi's I only lifted the bonnet to top the washer bottle...

Hopefully all sorted by Thursday evening and then i can find why the header tank coolant disappeared, but actually the one I have been most worried about is the smell of petrol that makes me think ther is a leak or a fuelling issue and most of all a safety issue :shock:

Is a great drive I just hope this visit nails the fluids issue that or I need car size nappies which might spoil the look...talking of which asked them to put the mud flaps on today :oops: :roll:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thursday update, car not ready for tonight as more parts needed, diff seal replaced and has stopped oil leak, good, but on extended road test they have found out why the coolant tank is leaking water, when up to temperature the pressure in the tank breaks the seal with cap and forces out the coolant, so new tank ordered and will be fitted tomorrow.

Apparently the smell of fuel in the car is the oil leak burning off the diff :shock: :roll: I am not convinced as overheated synthetic oils will smell quite different to petrol vapour, but the good news is the engine bay hasn't burst into flames so perhaps they are correct

Fuel warning light coming with 20 mile range still unresolved. They tried to fob me off with driving style until I said driving like mother Teresa would only give 25mpg, were as deploying Senna mode gives me 17 mpg, so what I think I am now under standing (but the garage isn't saying this) is that fuel warning is a simple float level device that comes on with circa 1.5 gallons left, so if you are a FP 2 D in Eco mode 50-60 range, if you are in a SC in max attack mode 20mpg, which is a bit of a nightmare if you live in the sticks, we don't have 24 hour garages.... Might need to store a Jerry can or just religiously check the fuel gauge :eek: :twisted: not had to do that for about 20 years.....

Will see if the reversing cameras want to play again when I pick it up I guess.....

·
Registered
492 Posts
I remember cars having no warning light for low fuel, YOU HAD TO LOOK AT GAUGE. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
big jon said:
I remember cars having no warning light for low fuel, YOU HAD TO LOOK AT GAUGE. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indeed you did and it seems thats what I will need to do going forward, that however is but an irritation, one might over time come to describe as part of the cars charector, it's certainly less nannying than my Audi's and the lane assist is way less intrusive than my friends merc.

The other stuff is more worrying loosing oil and water and possibly petrol is not good, I will put them on notice tomorrow that as my car is not 4 weeks old I will reserve the right to ask for a refund..... :shock:

I truly hope it doesn't come to that because I love it to drive..... ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
big jon said:
I had a FIAT 500D once, no guage at all but a small light when left with about half gallon of fuel.... Only took three and half gallons to fill, that's about 16 litres total, lasted ages though! 1964 vintage car, very advanced spec!

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Gman said:
Fuel warning light coming with 20 mile range still unresolved. They tried to fob me off with driving style until I said driving like mother Teresa would only give 25mpg, were as deploying Senna mode gives me 17 mpg, so what I think I am now under standing (but the garage isn't saying this) is that fuel warning is a simple float level device that comes on with circa 1.5 gallons left, so if you are a FP 2 D in Eco mode 50-60 range, if you are in a SC in max attack mode 20mpg, which is a bit of a nightmare if you live in the sticks, we don't have 24 hour garages.... Might need to store a Jerry can or just religiously check the fuel gauge :eek: :twisted: not had to do that for about 20 years.....

Will see if the reversing cameras want to play again when I pick it up I guess.....
You have made remember after 3.5 years of driving a deisel that I would always without fail carry a 5 litre can of petrol in the boot with my previous thirsty petrol cars. Got me out of a muddle plenty of times. Never once bothered to carry spare fuel with the deisel but I am going to fish out the old petrol can in readiness for 1st (ish) of September.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts