Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have upgraded to inconnect touch pro but am getting conflicting info re. sim card needed. dealer is telling me I need data sim card micro to access features.However phone network tells me I can only get card by paying certain monthly cost but this expires after 30 days no matter if I have used data or not.or go on rolling contract for minimum figure but again may be something not needed.have been told that all phone companies operate same policy.Also cannot get dual card on existing monthly contract.
so any other similar problems and what is card used for?
thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
you can wither get a sim only deal on a monthly rolling contact with a certain data allowance per month as your've mentioned or get a pay as you go sim which comes bundled with a certain amount of data which can be used over 12 months etc... the latter option has been discussed on the forum with links to purchase the sims

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have just read othe rposts on this topic and it looks like I can get a sim card on other networks, eg three or ee and not my current mobile phone network
is this correct?

·
Registered
688 Posts
ruskin said:
Have just read othe rposts on this topic and it looks like I can get a sim card on other networks, eg three or ee and not my current mobile phone network
is this correct?
you can get a simcard from anyone, you're not tied to your mobile provider

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just an update for everyone. According to the settings (general > features > connectivity > mobile settings) my usage this month is just 39mb.

I've not been using the google maps view which keeps the data usage down. I have been doing trips with the live traffic on though so the data usage for that is low.

So far so good with the £30 three SIM, the reception seems spot on.

·
Registered
688 Posts
hi

if and when the three data allowance runs out, what do you do? Buy a new sim or top up? any idea on the costs for the latter?

·
Registered
688 Posts
probably not a concern as at 39mb usage a month you are good for 25 years with a 12GB sim :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
My takeaway from this forum is that the in-control touch pro does not use much data and that a 3 gig 12 month data only sim card should suffice - but I am still a little unsure as to the extent of its internet capabilities? I gather that it can be used to look at Google Maps in connection with the satnav and as a wifi hub for passengers - but it is only 3G (my mobile phone never seems to be able to pick up anything when connected to 3G - only when connected to 4G) - but what else can you use it for? Is there a browser built into the display? Is the connection any good for other than the most basic of tasks?

Too late for me anyway of course as I have included one in my order which should be delivered in late October :) - but I would be very interested in the experience of others? Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is a web browser but I doubt you will ever use it. It's a little clunky to use. I just continue to use my mobile phone.

It can't even be used whilst driving, even for the passenger so it's a bit useless :)

The SIM card adds functionality such as being able to alert family and friends of your ETA on a journey, and if you are over X minutes delayed it will automatically text them.

The SIM card also adds real time traffic information provided, that is a great addition.

You can also send journeys to your car from your phone with the sim added.

For £30 its a no brainier.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Has anyone turned on satellite view in the nav for a day or two to measure how much data that consumes? It is supposed to be significantly more. If we are talking double, that's still negligible. If we are talking 100x that would definitely eat up your data.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ryan from customer services when he was on the forum said using satellite images would use about 50mb per hour. So not that much really if you turn it off when you're done (most trips don't need it do they)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.