Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we Brits are obsessed with class but bear with me!

So this morning I was parked at the golf club (I don't play golf - good spot to park to walk the dog) between an X5 and Cayenne. Both 16 plate, both sports Diesel models. The FP looked every bit at home in that company. I was surprised how the dimensions of the FP (despite what they say on paper) mirror those of the Cayenne almost exactly. The only noticeable difference is the slightly lower roof line. The X5 does look marginally bigger, again mainly in height. Certainly my FP looked like this was the company it belonged in.

Then later I called into the supermarket and I parked next to a S-line Q5 and opposite an M-Sport X3 (the latest model) and the FP looks even more stunning in this company. They just can't compete on aesthetics or presence. Not even close.

I therefore think the FP is the bargain of the decade. It really shouldn't be compared to lowly Q5s and X3s.... I rest my case :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
I know we Brits are obsessed with class but bear with me!

So this morning I was parked at the golf club (I don't play golf - good spot to park to walk the dog) between an X5 and Cayenne. Both 16 plate, both sports Diesel models. The FP looked every bit at home in that company. I was surprised how the dimensions of the FP (despite what they say on paper) mirror those of the Cayenne almost exactly. The only noticeable difference is the slightly lower roof line. The X5 does look marginally bigger, again mainly in height. Certainly my FP looked like this was the company it belonged in.

Then later I called into the supermarket and I parked next to a S-line Q5 and opposite an M-Sport X3 (the latest model) and the FP looks even more stunning in this company. They just can't compete on aesthetics or presence. Not even close.

I therefore think the FP is the bargain of the decade. It really shouldn't be compared to lowly Q5s and X3s.... I rest my case :lol:
They do look very nice, I am now more looking at the insides as I do not think any of them have a better interior, especially the Porsche that looks like it's dash is taken from a sixties start track film, so outdated with all those buttons.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So I agree with you up to a point. Externally I don't think there is any other SUV that gets close to looking as pretty as the F-Pace. If that guy from Autogefuhl (Thomas?) thinks that these are the best looking SUVs right now then we must be right - that guy is the Meister of car reviewers. Maybe an XC90 in the right colour gets close in its own way?

The BMW X5 is just soooo boring. I spent most of my life since 1999 wanting an X5 but never quite able to afford one (child at university, mortgage etc.). Finally discover what it's like to no longer be paying for kids to get an education, get a car, learn to drive, car insurance, maintain their car, pay for ski lift passes etc....... and so I can afford an X5 but BMW ruin the external styling by making it space efficient on the inside!

Porsche Cayenne - an ugly car that only looks decent when parked next to an even uglier car, the Macan!

But internally I genuinely think that it's not that clear cut. Yes, the Porsche looks old fashioned but the quality is faultless in that cabin. And the BMW is also showing it's age and does itself no favours with a design ethos that essentially replicates the layout in almost every car in the range. But again, the quality inside the BMW X5 we tested was better and their SatNav is generally accepted as being the best in the business. But we hated the handling and it's a heavy car - it was unsettled at low speed, felt unstable at higher motorway speeds and the 3.0d V6 felt uninspiring in the big X5.

The X5 gets some pretty attractive incentives from BMW, dealer and finance company to entice you to buy it. The Cayenne is effectively a run-off model and is soon to be replaced.

The F-Pace is weakest when the interior trim is under the microscope. But as an overall package it is the complete car, period. Can't wait to own one, just hope it is reliable! Mrs A soon divorces cars that she deems unworthy of her affection.

F-Pace...... a worthy choice alongside the full size executive SUVs and certainly better (inside and out) than the smaller X3 / Q5 competition.

Just IMHO, since you raised it :D

Arianne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.