Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One for current/former owners of the Range Rover Sport.

I'm buying an F Pace and not another RRS because………

I've never owned one, it's just a quick sanity check for me really. I had intended to buy a RRS as my next car but then the F Pace came along.

I'm guessing the primary driver is the performance and agility?.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm on my second new shape RRSport which is part of the reason for the switch to the FP as I fancied a change but after driving the FP I know I'll be as happy owning it as I have been with the RRS, maybe more so given its extra grunt and driver involvement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
luminated said:
I'm on my second new shape RRSport which is part of the reason for the switch to the FP as I fancied a change but after driving the FP I know I'll be as happy owning it as I have been with the RRS, maybe more so given its extra grunt and driver involvement.
I'm surprised you think it has more grunt than a RRS. I think the 3.0 litre in the sport is faster. I did find though that there isn't the initial lag that you get in the sport.
Personally, I was disappointed with the performance of the 3.0 litre diesel in the S. The 2.0 litre engine must be a real slug.
Even though the F pace is a big car it doesn't feel as big as a RRS and consequently was easier to drive and manoeuvre in heavy traffic and its easier to 'point and squirt' when the need arises.
Having said that, I do like it but am glad I didn't order without a test drive. I would have been so disappointed if I had.
I hope the supercharged petrol will be more aural and faster.
Question is, 'do I want one?' Honest answer is 'I'm not sure'. Im hoping the supercharged version will convince me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Waynem said:
You must have drove a duff ...I have both and the f pace is def faster ...it's a simple weight factor the RRS is prob a whole second slower :lol:
If a brand new F pace is a duff I'm definitely glad I haven't got one on order!
I know the F only had 80 miles on it but it was definitely slower than the Sport when new and knocking it into dynamic doesn't give the same experience as the sport in dynamic mode. Not impressed so far.

G

·
Some new cars prevent you from using the full power (seems my best friend's 330d xDrive did). Perhaps the F-Pace does the same.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nastro azzurro said:
luminated said:
I'm surprised you think it has more grunt than a RRS. I think the 3.0 litre in the sport is faster. I did find though that there isn't the initial lag that you get in the sport.
Personally, I was disappointed with the performance of the 3.0 litre diesel in the S. The 2.0 litre engine must be a real slug.
Even though the F pace is a big car it doesn't feel as big as a RRS and consequently was easier to drive and manoeuvre in heavy traffic and its easier to 'point and squirt' when the need arises.
Having said that, I do like it but am glad I didn't order without a test drive. I would have been so disappointed if I had.
I hope the supercharged petrol will be more aural and faster.
Question is, 'do I want one?' Honest answer is 'I'm not sure'. Im hoping the supercharged version will convince me.
Definitely something amiss with the FP you drove because I found the performance more effortless in the FP compared to the my RRS, what I DID notice was the FP masked the speed you were doing even better than the RRS, but despite this the speedo doesn't lie.

There's almost 500lbs difference between them and whilst I rate my RRS exceptional it can't defy physics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm probably being unfair here to be honest. Not really comparing apples with apples.
The RRS for me is definitely the more dynamic car. I'm talking about the dynamic model, not the bog standard HSE.
The F is good and as a daily driver is more than good enough. For me though it just doesn't have that sense of occasion that I used to have when driving the RRS or my current car.
But the RRS is in a different bracket to an F and that has to be taken into consideration.
The F is up against the Macan, X4, SQ5, Tourag R (maybe) so to compare it with a Range Rover is unfair.
I've not driven any of the above so I'll reserve judgement.
It's good but I'm hoping the petrol supercharged will make it the car that I was hoping for.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nastro azzurro said:
I'm probably being unfair here to be honest. Not really comparing apples with apples.
The RRS for me is definitely the more dynamic car. I'm talking about the dynamic model, not the bog standard HSE.
The F is good and as a daily driver is more than good enough. For me though it just doesn't have that sense of occasion that I used to have when driving the RRS or my current car.
But the RRS is in a different bracket to an F and that has to be taken into consideration.
The F is up against the Macan, X4, SQ5, Tourag R (maybe) so to compare it with a Range Rover is unfair.
I've not driven any of the above so I'll reserve judgement.
It's good but I'm hoping the petrol supercharged will make it the car that I was hoping for.
Well if the Jaguar F-PACE 3.0D isn't more dynamic than a RRS HSE Dynamic (in any mode) then Jaguar have really stuffed this up, It comes with the same power it's got a lower center of gravity and it weight 300Kg less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For me it's not.
But as I said; you can't compare it to a RRS and JLR would be mad if they tried to do that. They're not going to have two models competing for the same market share.
@ Nick. Try the HSE dynamic. It's the better car but then it should be. (If you can put up with the dubious image they now have :lol: )

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nastro azzurro said:
For me it's not.
But as I said; you can't compare it to a RRS and JLR would be mad if they tried to do that. They're not going to have two models competing for the same market share.
@ Nick. Try the HSE dynamic. It's the better car but then it should be. (If you can put up with the dubious image they now have :lol: )
Oddly I had both the HSE and Dynamic out for the weekend one week apart but couldn't really feel the difference, admittedly I wasn't pushing either to 8 or 9 tenth but on the road you wouldn't so I got the HSE and pocketed the difference.

One thing I instantly noticed in the FP was how the nose changes direction more readily, this is probably the even weight distribution or possibly the it's rear bias AWD or a combination of both and this difference was felt without having to push that near the limit. Point being that for me at least the FP S feels the sportier option more of the time and at the moment that's what I crave but this comes at the expense of the superior quality and spacious interior of the RRSport as well as the knowledge you are driving the daddy of all SUVs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps I'm not comparing apples for apples...the price points are quite different...the money I'm planning to spend on the Fpace I've spec'd would buy me a circa 12-18 month old RRS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts