Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of warning if you commute on, or regularly use a motorway. I've just done a 400 mile round trip consisting of about 250 miles of motorway or 2/3 lane A roads. Compared to the 20" wheels on my RRE, RRS and XKR previously the 22" Pirelli Zeros on the FP are very sensitive to different surface types. On the concrete sections of the M25 the howl is deafening. On very smooth modern Tarmac however it's whisper quiet. Never experienced such a massively broad difference before with a tyre.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have found Michelin tyres better than the stock Pirelli's fitted by Jaguar over the years, from my XJ and my XF and I suspect on my F-Pace once it comes time to change them.

I have found the grip, wear and noise better and even the overall handling felt better.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have to be honest, I noticed the same thing on the M5 concrete last weekend. Not intolerable but noisy in places, and as you said whisper quiet on smooth Tarmac sections. Unfortunately We don't keep our cars for longer than 2.5 years so probably not going to see if tyre compound and manufactuer makes a difference.... But agree it probably will.... Trouble is you can test drive a set of tyres to my knowledge :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
Have to say my 20 inch wheels on my Evoque on the M25 concrete section sounded like a wolf howling.

Its not the size of the wheel but the make and type of tyres that make the difference.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have this with the 19" on my Msport 5 series, I was told it is the width of the tyre, in my case 265 that can cause this too, Cobham to Heathrow especially on the M25

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
F-Pace S said:
I have this with the 19" on my Msport 5 series, I was told it is the width of the tyre, in my case 265 that can cause this too, Cobham to Heathrow especially on the M25
For sure, the more contact you have with the road the more noise.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The concrete section sounds no worse in my FP with 22's compared to my RRE with 20's.....just turn the stereo up.....simples!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waynem said:
Agreed .....all cars a noisey on concrete roads ...get over it :lol:
I'm just suggesting if someone who regularly drives a concrete stretch includes this in their test drive. The difference between the 22" on Pirelli zeros and the 20" I had on Continentals is massive. No amount of volume on the stereo will drown it out.

Cobham to Heathrow on M25 was a very uncomfortable experience.

This has been a public service announcement ;-)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Firstly, concrete sections are shite agreed! Turn your stereo up!
Secondly, I'm not going to suppress my cars style and appearance for a few miles of shite road surface which every vehicle sounds shite on!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nope? Yeh concrete screams whatever tyre choice you have, deal with it and balance it in your life.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have to agree and pointed this out in another post about wheel sizes 4 months ago.

I have many cars with wider wheels than this and the road noise I experienced on the concrete section of M25 between A3 & Junction 8 was the loudest I have ever experienced in a car. It didn't stop me choosing 22" but it isn't drowned out by the stereo unless you want to go deaf.

Whether it is tyre pattern or something else, who knows but I will be embarrassed with sensitive passengers over surfaces like this as it is bloody loud.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Maybe I'm going deaf in my old age then!! It's a bit like peeps saying ride in 22" is too hard? I've been driving a Portfolio loaner with 20" wheels for the last week and despite the appearance which I dislike I don't see or feel much difference with mine!

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
CarlFRZ434 said:
Maybe I'm going deaf in my old age then!! It's a bit like peeps saying ride in 22" is too hard? I've been driving a Portfolio loaner with 20" wheels for the last week and despite the appearance which I dislike I don't see or feel much difference with mine!
Have to agree I think the difference is more to do with people's previous car before moving to the Fpace as I bet many are coming from a totally different style of vehicle.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
corriescar66 said:
I have to agree and pointed this out in another post about wheel sizes 4 months ago.

I have many cars with wider wheels than this and the road noise I experienced on the concrete section of M25 between A3 & Junction 8 was the loudest I have ever experienced in a car. It didn't stop me choosing 22" but it isn't drowned out by the stereo unless you want to go deaf.

Whether it is tyre pattern or something else, who knows but I will be embarrassed with sensitive passengers over surfaces like this as it is bloody loud.
Yup that's the piece of motorway I'm referring to. The sound is like a jet engine taking off.

Carl all I am trying to do is warn people to try it first. That's the point of a forum right? If that 15 mile section was my daily commute I'd be mightily peeved.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
CarlFRZ434 said:
Have to agree I think the difference is more to do with people's previous car before moving to the Fpace as I bet many are coming from a totally different style of vehicle.
I'm comparing same section of road driven often on 20" continentals (Evoque) to 22" FP. Difference in noise is monumental.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Haha looks like we all drive the same section of road then, we may see each other

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.