Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi smash, no helix variant are not diamond turned. The diamond turning comes after the wheel has been painted, to produce a very sharp contrast on the alloy of the wheel from paint to aluminium.
As on the bionic / blade / and venom, grey variants!
The speed and sharpness of the diamond tip cutting through the paint and into a shallow depth of the aluminium face of the wheels raised spoke areas produces a mirror like finish to those areas only.
The wheel is then lacquered to protect the surface, as the exposed diamond finish is very susceptible to corrosion and scratching.
The helix variant is cast and second op machined in the normal way and sprayed and lacquered with the plastic inserts being fixed from the rear with 3 small hex socket cap screws per insert! :geek:
Hope this answers your q

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I presume this is for alloy / gap insurance ?
Just clicked on that the other day and wasn't 100% sure myself.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Guys & Girls,

Can we talk 22" double helix alloys for a few minutes as I am seriously considering the upgrade now that Pirelli produce winter tyres for this size of wheel. I like the look but...

Firstly, I am worried about kerbing the wheels, particularly the black plastic insert which would then need to be replaced since it cannot be repaired;

Second, how much are those plastic inserts. I have asked my dealer and they are looking into it as they say that they can be replaced individually from the back of the wheel UPDATE: £15+vat each - dealer emailed me 5mins after my enquiry with them!

Third, the plastic is in a vulnerable area and I wonder if they might fade over time due to UV exposure?

Fourth, fading would mean the prospect of replacing up to ten plastic inserts down one side of the car if I kerbed a single unit - to keep the look consistent.

And finally, fifth - my dealer says that alloy wheel insurance might not cover the plastic inserts and that I should be very careful buying a policy online. They have stopped selling the product themselves because they had misgivings about its value, especially on these more complex wheel designs.

Thoughts?

I will be popping down to the dealership for a close look at this wheel on their demonstrator and they have offered me another opportunity to take it out for a couple of hours (how good is that!) to be absolutely sure about ride comfort. But I would like to tap into the knowledge of the Community here.

Thanks

Arianne

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Arianne, I am bound to have a bias view on this as I had the very same upgrade,
1, I wouldn't be concerned about fade... As if it happens in 3 years you should get them replaced under warranty!
2, Kerbing... I agree it's my biggest fear too!! No doubt to all the others without wheel insurance too, as discussed many times on forum the side wall is still quite high considering it's a performance tyre! However there are aftermarket rim protectors available to give some further protection. Chances are you wont damage it when parking because you are being more carefull. The scorpion tyres may also have raised lettering and additional stand off rib features moulded to outer face? Worth a look anyway!
3. Could always wrap the inserts in the same or different colour then buy a couple of spares to change out when damaged.
4. Would advise all helix owners to be cautious when using alloy wheel cleaners. After speaking to to a guy at car show who had an F type with similar carbon wheel inserts that went opaque after a couple of uses!!!!
5, if you are having doubts... And you do not fit 22"... I can promise that you will always be looking to see if every F pace you see has got them!! Just human nature ( well for us car obsessed nutters anyway) :lol: :lol:
Good luck I your sleepless nights deciding. :shock: :? :?
This is just give you another perspective.. This isn't a small rock either!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes, 22"'s all day and be careful when parking. TBH I am careful anyway, and only been caught out once majorly, pissed off but had it repaired to brand new overnight. The look alone is worth the risk IMO.

Plastic inserts, who knows? answer is no one yet as they are so new, but if mine look crap after a few months, I will be heading back to Jaguar as they are not fit for purpose, that is what warranty is for.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ thanks Jags Cat.

Very helpful, especially point No.4, which I hadn't thought about. That would have been an 'own goal'! As it is, I haven't used alloy wheel cleaner on my current car as the diamond cut alloys look somewhat fragile. However, most of the surface of my current wheels is black and so doesn't show the accrued brake dust, whereas the Jaguar double helix shows much more silver. Hmm, food for thought. Another factor for consideration.

We have arranged for a couple of hours in the dealer's V6 S demonstrator on Saturday which will be good and I have a suitable route lined up to truly assess the ability of the Jaguar on 22" wheels to provide a decent ride on Normal mode.

Until I discovered Pirelli had launched their winter tyres in 22", I had resigned myself to 20" wheels. But now there is an option to upgrade to 22" rims it's what I really want to do. The car looks so much better and, if I am paying out all of the cash for it in the first place, I want it to be right aesthetically. But not at the cost of a poor ride or rims that are so fragile that they can't be properly cleaned after a couple of years with a gentle cleaner.

Suspect I will go with them. But thanks for listening!

Arianne

PS. Just seen the image with a piece of your dry stone wall, thanks for that. Beyond the call of duty but much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Jags cat said:
Hi Arianne, I am bound to have a bias view on this as I had the very same upgrade,
1, I wouldn't be concerned about fade... As if it happens in 3 years you should get them replaced under warranty!
2, Kerbing... I agree it's my biggest fear too!! No doubt to all the others without wheel insurance too, as discussed many times on forum the side wall is still quite high considering it's a performance tyre! However there are aftermarket rim protectors available to give some further protection. Chances are you wont damage it when parking because you are being more carefull. The scorpion tyres may also have raised lettering and additional stand off rib features moulded to outer face? Worth a look anyway!
3. Could always wrap the inserts in the same or different colour then buy a couple of spares to change out when damaged.
4. Would advise all helix owners to be cautious when using alloy wheel cleaners. After speaking to to a guy at car show who had an F type with similar carbon wheel inserts that went opaque after a couple of uses!!!!
5, if you are having doubts... And you do not fit 22"... I can promise that you will always be looking to see if every F pace you see has got them!! Just human nature ( well for us car obsessed nutters anyway) :lol: :lol:
Good luck I your sleepless nights deciding. :shock: :? :?
This is just give you another perspective.. This isn't a small rock either!!
Great pic, thanks JagsCat

·
Registered
922 Posts
FYI Arianne, sure you will notice but the inserts on silver helix are actually very dark grey... Similar to storm grey!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Has to be 22's all day long ..........IMHO

Never have the situation where you say to yourself ' I wish I had' !!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bonkers said:
What about when handing over £260 per tyre - I wish I had gone for the 20s?
That will be fine, my BM 19" runlets are £250 a corner anyway, and I never regretted the upgrade ;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bonkers said:
What about when handing over £260 per tyre - I wish I had gone for the 20s?
Think "marginal cost difference" between 20" and 22" tyres. I find that there is a way of rationalising almost everything in life to justify ones actions - well almost everything since, if you took this to the extreme, one would be up for crimes in The Hague! Clearly some folk down through the 20th century in Europe have perfected the art :eek:

Anyway, back to wheels as that's a safer topic. Will probably go for it providing the ride is decent in Normal mode and Mrs A doesn't veto the additional spend. But Mrs A likes the dealer sales representative so that helps!

Regards to all.

Arianne

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
F-Pace S said:
Yes, 22"'s all day and be careful when parking. TBH I am careful anyway, and only been caught out once majorly, pissed off but had it repaired to brand new overnight. The look alone is worth the risk IMO.

Plastic inserts, who knows? answer is no one yet as they are so new, but if mine look crap after a few months, I will be heading back to Jaguar as they are not fit for purpose, that is what warranty is for.
That's def a kick in the nether regions if the insert fade due to wheel cleaning.

as for kerbing them so much so that the plastic inserts damage, then you deserve to pay out for a new wheel, as the inserts are so far away from the kerb they shouldn't be damaged in the slightest event of an ooppssseee.... well I may be wrong but a kerb accident then the reburbers would remove the plastics before a repair.

Out of interest I recently found a reputable company, 1 of only 2 in my current location that can repair 22's and was quotes £90+VAT.

Has any one found good rim protectors, as I've read a lot of mixed reviews on what's ever been discussed on this forum.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On SMART style repairs on diamond turned wheels. I had venoms on my XE and took alloy insurance that covered them. I kerbed it and the guy came out and said basically they can only patch it. Filled and painted and after 3-4 months it discoloured differently from the wheel. When initially done the repair was still pretty obvious.

I would check in to "how covered" it is. A repair or patch job is fine but really the whole wheel needs taking off and refinishing and SMART style repairs don't have the kit for that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts