Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on the forum for a while. Been coming to terms with my decision to cancel my order. It was nothing to do with second thoughts or worries about the snags experienced by others.
In the end it was more about the brexit vote (I didn't see that coming - I thought most people would chicken out at the crunch time).
I work in the uk automotive industry and if the major auto makers started to leave then financially I would be in trouble. So given the amount of cash it needed me to borrow I couldn't justify the risk given current uncertainty - especially as I'm currently only 3 years from paying off the mortgage.
I think things will be ok once things settle down and if that's the case then I'll be back (wonder if I'd make the same choices?).
I cling to the hope that by then jaguar will be more open to discounts and maybe there will be more flexibility on options.
So it still hurts when I see others excitedly getting theirs ( feels a bit pathetically like getting dumped!) but I hope you enjoy your cars and get huge pleasure from your ownership.
Maybe I shall join you someday.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
It takes a lot to back out of a purchase like this, a lot of deep soul searching and introspection. Uncertainty is a corrosive sentiment which could actually bring about a some self-fulfilling prophecies if everyone were to succumb, but for what it's worth I think you've made the right decision if those are your reasons. As you pointed out, you can always jump back into the swim if the looming dark economic clouds recede . . hey, anyone up for a mixed metaphor? ;)

Good luck with whatever happens, may I just say, it sure has been 'bonkers'! See you around again soon I hope.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That's a shame. If you are financing a lot and it's maybe a push then it's maybe the right thing to do in some ways. I think the uncertainty is less of a reason especially given the time lines and the devaluation of the car.

So for example nothing is going to happen anytime soon. We may not even have a full exit at all and may retain full trade in exchange for free movement etc or any number of deal combinations. It's going to be 2.5 years before this even hits,

In this case if something bad for you starts to happen let's say a year down line then the Fpace can still be sold to pretty much cover the finance left over.
I had the same on a Volvo C30 I had many years ago when they first came out and was made redundant part way through the term and just sold the car and paid off all the finance and made £600 on top. (Of course a deposit was already paid at start)

If there is any doubt about the levels of finance and the cost then that's your choice and you know your situation much better than any of us :)

If you wait and see you could wait for years before anything is clearer. Lot of time to spend worrying !

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
That's a shame. If you are financing a lot and it's maybe a push then it's maybe the right thing to do in some ways. I think the uncertainty is less of a reason especially given the time lines and the devaluation of the car.

So for example nothing is going to happen anytime soon. We may not even have a full exit at all and may retain full trade in exchange for free movement etc or any number of deal combinations. It's going to be 2.5 years before this even hits,

In this case if something bad for you starts to happen let's say a year down line then the Fpace can still be sold to pretty much cover the finance left over.
I had the same on a Volvo C30 I had many years ago when they first came out and was made redundant part way through the term and just sold the car and paid off all the finance and made £600 on top. (Of course a deposit was already paid at start)

If there is any doubt about the levels of finance and the cost then that's your choice and you know your situation much better than any of us :)

If you wait and see you could wait for years before anything is clearer. Lot of time to spend worrying !
MBadger were are not having to wait 2.5 years the effects in job lay offs have started, e,g. Brick makers moth balling three plants due to housing build slow down, Lush toiletries moving jobs from Poole to Dussledorf this is but the start.. Consumer confidence at a 21 year low equals people will spend less......If our politicians can get there act together and move quickly to an outcome whatever that maybe then at least CFO's will be dealing with a known situation, businesses hate unknowns when that happens they switch from investment mode to cash generation, we as a country are in that situation and that means cost reduction time :shock: :shock: for individuals and business, whether the sentiment is overblown or not it will still lead to a marked slow down IMHO.

Personally I thought long and hard about cancelling my order I didn't for the reasons you stated I feel confident that demand is higher than supply and will be for the next 18 months so I would be able to sell and clear finance obligations on the car albeit with a significant hit against my deposit.

I decided to stick with it but understand why others may feel the risk for them is too great for them.....

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The Gman said:
Mbadger77 said:

MBadger were are not having to wait 2.5 years the effects in job lay offs have started, e,g. Brick makers moth balling three plants due to housing build slow down, Lush toiletries moving jobs from Poole to Dussledorf this is but the start.. Consumer confidence at a 21 year low equals people will spend less......If our politicians can get there act together and move quickly to an outcome whatever that maybe then at least CFO's will be dealing with a known situation, businesses hate unknowns when that happens they switch from investment mode to cash generation, we as a country are in that situation and that means cost reduction time :shock: :shock: for individuals and business, whether the sentiment is overblown or not it will still lead to a marked slow down IMHO.

Personally I thought long and hard about cancelling my order I didn't for the reasons you stated I feel confident that demand is higher than supply and will be for the next 18 months so I would be able to sell and clear finance obligations on the car albeit with a significant hit against my deposit.

I decided to stick with it but understand why others may feel the risk for them is too great for them.....
Yes I understand that. To some there may be SOME immediate effects driven by those with uncertainty or fear. For many it will be a while before anything is made certain and direct consequences are felt.
I run a business and already we have lost two decent bits of business based upon the fear and uncertainty and one is utterly ludicrous and nonsensical but there you go.

In my situation I'm ploughing ahead regardless and will be fine as I'm paying up front and have no finance. If it goes tits up I can sell and don't have to worry about it covering the finance.

The point I was tying to make is that for most people the effects won't be felt until long enough that they could always sell the car to cover the finance or 95% of it . As I also said each person knows their own personal situation, cash situation and risk levels better than any of us here so it can't really be a wrong decision even though I may not initially agree :)

It is a shame and I hope the poster returns in the future -
Just looking forward to maybe getting my car soon !!! Been a long long wait.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The first 3-5 years will be the hardest but long term I'm very confident in the future.... can't say the same for the European Union though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts