Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've had my 2litre auto for 3 weeks now and have an issue in normal driving pulling away from a junction or lights.
From a standstill it first moves away slowly, then as I press the accelerator it takes off, this is in normal driving mode. Changing to Eco mode removes this characteristic but then you loose heated seats and other features.

In Eco mode does it move off in second gear?
In Normal mode does it start moving in second gear then change down to first as the pedal is pressed ?. ( that is what it feels like).

I have several auto vehicles that I regularly drive and this F Pace characteristic is markedly different, comments please

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the same. Frankly my kids Polo and Fiesta (manuals) are smoother, as is our auto mini. It's the very low speed acceleration that doesn't feel smooth, especially pulling out of a sharp bend on a country lane.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It's a fairly well documented Jag/ZF characteristic. Caught me out when I first started with JLR product but you soon learn to drive around it. I find that a fairly heavy stab of the pedal to start and then back off as the torque converter does its job is the best way. The car will always pull away in second in whatever mode you have it in. You have to manually put it in first.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
It's a fairly well documented Jag/ZF characteristic. Caught me out when I first started with JLR product but you soon learn to drive around it. I find that a fairly heavy stab of the pedal to start and then back off as the torque converter does its job is the best way. The car will always pull away in second in whatever mode you have it in. You have to manually put it in first.
Thanks for this thread, I was wondering myself, and have now come to the same conclusion as JLR5, rather than feather it which is frustrating, , a firm move forward on the peddle then back off seems to be the smoothest way off.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It is a characteristic of the 8 speed ZF and the lag also appears in BMWs with same gearbox.

Doesn't effect 6 speed & is more noticeable if the car is slightly underpowered for it's size/weight.

I used to play a game in a previous RRS with passengers... Count how long it took to launch after putting foot flat to floor... Average on that bag of poo was 4-5 secs... lethal when full engine power then delivered all at once. Later software improved situation...

Doesn't seem an issue with the supercharged one, thankfully...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
^^ my 5 series with the same gearbox was silky smooth, it is totally different to the FP I am afraid

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Can't say I've noticed it but I've got a petrol so different. Pulls away very nicely without pushing the pedal and goes up the gears nicely. Yes when giving it stick you can feel the gears engaging with a slightly less than smooth feeling but given the power of the engine and the speed your going it feels right.

I did drive the 2.0 and I know what you mean - for me it's like my eco mode. Push pedal and inch or so and nothing really happens then you have to give it more and it's all kicking in. Almost like there is a dead patch early on.

Petrol isn't like that. Can't remember what the 3.0 diesel was like from the test drive so long ago but like my XF S unless in dynamic the throttle had that woolly dead starting point - dynamic made it much sharper and responsive.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Try selecting manually 1st gear and try again, i think your find its lag due to the car starting in second gear and not first and it taking time to build exhaust gases, once built up enough and the turbo spins up then it takes off.

See if it makes a difference, i have found it does and you can accelerate from a standstill much faster, more the claimed 0 to 60 time then letting the car do it automatically.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would say that all auto's do this as a safety feature. Incase your foot slipped off the pedal at a junction you wouldn't shoot into the oncoming traffic.
My Discovery was alfully slow at pulling away and my Evoque was the same until the software was updated at the last service which much improved the lag time. When I test drive the FP I wanted to see what would happen when I floored it from a standing start. I would say it's a lot better when the older JLR auto boxes, more like the same as my RRE with the software fix.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Just to reiterate I'm in my 5th auto JLR and they all do it to one extent or another. You do learn to adapt a driving style to accommodate it. So do bear with it. Also remember the gearbox does learn your driving style. If you are a little soft with the throttle it will become more noticeable. Try being a little firmer but then backing off as you feel the gearbox picking up. Even if you select 1st gear manual you will be very aware of the torque converter doing it's stuff. On occasion if I want a fast start I will brake with my left foot and throttle with my right. Just to see if you really can do a <6 sec 0-60. Lol.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for this insight guys, there are times when you want to take off fast on the open road, other times filtering in traffic a smooth response is needed. My feelings are that it is a software characteristic for whatever reason, the electronic control of modern automatics can do pretty much anything.
I discount and turbo lag issue, the engine revs freely and I am calling for a fraction of the power available, wether it will learn my driving style remains to be seen, about half my trips are in traffic and half longer trips, or maybe they will do a software update.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is why I hated the auto box when I test drove the F Pace. I went for a manual as at least I knew I could take off at roundabouts without dreadful hesitation. I'm also positive I'm getting fantastic economy due to going for the manual as well. Although now I've been without my car 10 days as its been stuck at the dealers having work done so seriously considering swapping it for the new Skoda Kodiaq. Dreadful customer service from the dealer as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
typolee said:
This is why I hated the auto box when I test drove the F Pace. I went for a manual as at least I knew I could take off at roundabouts without dreadful hesitation. I'm also positive I'm getting fantastic economy due to going for the manual as well. Although now I've been without my car 10 days as its been stuck at the dealers having work done so seriously considering swapping it for the new Skoda Kodiaq. Dreadful customer service from the dealer as well.
Totally agree with you, typolee, my experience too . . . I love my manual r-sport, and I've not had any bother with it either, pleased to say!

Very sorry to read of your problems though. :cry: What exactly has gone wrong?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Creaky springs, 2 recalls (coolant check and suspension gaitors). Also out of alignment tailgate which trashed the inside lock trim as it was rubbing so badly on the bumper. Has been at dealers for 10 days stuck at body shop to have trim replaced. In fact looking around the car virtually every panel is out of alignment. Would not get this on German equivalent. I've had Audis, VWs, Skodas and panel fit is amazing. Not hearing back off dealer no contact being made. Disgusting. Definitely selling now and purchasing new Skoda Kodiaq. Rang up for settlement figure today. Well chuffed as I'm gonna make approx 8k if I sell privately.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
typolee said:
Creaky springs, 2 recalls (coolant check and suspension gaitors). Also out of alignment tailgate which trashed the inside lock trim as it was rubbing so badly on the bumper. Has been at dealers for 10 days stuck at body shop to have trim replaced. In fact looking around the car virtually every panel is out of alignment. Would not get this on German equivalent. I've had Audis, VWs, Skodas and panel fit is amazing. Not hearing back off dealer no contact being made. Disgusting. Definitely selling now and purchasing new Skoda Kodiaq. Rang up for settlement figure today. Well chuffed as I'm gonna make approx 8k if I sell privately.
There are a lot of new SUV cars coming in 2017 and the Skoda is one of them, i would have a good look round to make sure it fits what your looking for, having seen images on the Skoda i am not a fan of the interior to be honest.

·
Registered
612 Posts
typolee said:
Would not get this on German equivalent.
This is simply just not true. All manufactures have issues ... especially with new models. Some have less problems, some more, but all have them.

Look here as just one example :

I'm sure people can google all companies and find issues.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ok, now I do have a problem...my car has gone in for the software update and they have given me their FP demo....and it sooo much more SpriteKit off the line, I mean I noticed it at the first junction, and 20 miles in, it is excellent.

What can they do about mine whilst it is in? Is there a gearbox software reset or is it hardware at fault?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts