Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the under hard acceleration the gearbox holds on to one of the lower gears for too long?

This is dynamic + sport selected on the gearbox. You set off hard and it seems to hold on to second or third gear for too long (I don't know the exact gear it is as it's not displayed anywhere).

The engine sounds laboured when it holds on to the gear.

I'm not interested in using the paddles, so don't suggest that :)

Is this affecting anyone else?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it go all the way up to the limiter ? Do you hear it kicking ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't seem to hit the limiter, it's almost as if it stops and maintains the revs for half a second, then makes the shift

I'll have to see if I can take a video of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is what it is supposed to do, in Dynamic mode with the gearbox in Sport, it will hold gears until near the limiter. There is what appears to be a slight pause as it changes up to the next gear. Personally I use the paddles to avoid this, however, I also find leaving the car in D with Dynamic selected is the best overall setting.

5000 miles now after the weekend at Le Mans - epic drive there and around the countryside in the area - the car was faultless and impressed my friends who travelled in it to the circuit and on some "spirited" drives.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not explaining myself very well, it's almost like it holds the gear slightly past where it should change up to get the most output. The noise of the engine increases (in a transit van type way) but we're not progressing much more in speed. *then* it changes up and off we go again.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It sounds as if it's calibrated for the SC engine, but I would have thought it was more 'intelligent' than that. Having said that the 'box in the RRE (not the full ZF unit admittedly) is also a bit dim witted. S mode seems to mean "hang on for dear life to a gear" which works OK(ish) in my petrol engine, but it's rubbish in the diesel (only tried the 2.2 Freelander unit) with a response very similar to the one you describe.

If I'm feeling like a spirited drive I use the paddles (you can easily flip between semi-auto and auto by holding the + for 1 second to go back to auto)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tried this out today in my identically engined RRSport quipped with the basically the same gearbox, it works faultlessly changing swiftly just before the redline on the rev-counter. I've never actually performed a standing start where I've mashed the throttle to see if such action produces a different result but definately flooring the throttle whilst on the move it behaves as expected.

P.S. Just wanted to add I'm not a huge fan of sport modes in any auto box as I feel they keep it in too low a gear in constant readiness to accelerate and unless you floor the throttle to the carpet it holds that gear too long wanting to reach the redline before deciding to change eventually. I much prefer using the paddles where you are in complete control and already stated when used in D you are only a second away from full auto mode if you hold the right hand paddle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.