Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does anyone know if the full size spare is actually a full size wheel, and not a full size space saver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes it is a full size wheel- the space saver is a different cheaper option. I have seen on this forum though that the full size spare encroaches on boot space as the floor is raised- I think someone said there was a hump

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi, can confirm as I had this option, full size and exactly the same type and tyre as fitted on the car! Does eat into the boot space height wise by about 2-3 inches on the centre section... Still get 2 large dogs in though! :lol:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
OMG Jags Cat!! You bought a full size spare!!!!??? My dealer said to buy the space saver......I said if I did that where do I put the F ing full size wheel I take off?? My experience with punctures is nails or screws which tend to be slow so as long as you have an inflator you can get to a garage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
CarlFRZ434 said:
OMG Jags Cat!! You bought a full size spare!!!!??? My dealer said to buy the space saver......I said if I did that where do I put the F ing full size wheel I take off?? My experience with punctures is nails or screws which tend to be slow so as long as you have an inflator you can get to a garage.
I went for the space saver. Hadn't thought about where to put the full size you take off!
I suppose you put it in the boot. Hopefully it's not full of luggage or big dog! ;)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Sod's law I would get puncture fully laden going on holiday!! That's why last thing I load on top of all my luggage is the inflator and tyre weld. That way if I do suffer a puncture fully laden I haven't got to empty the boot to get to the repair kit!!! Perfect planning!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
In 32 years of driving I've only once got a flat whilst driving.
Had a Citroen with under-car wheel storage. That got knicked so when I bought a replacement I kept it in the boot. Needed all the room I could get when transporting my son to Exeter Uni - so took it out. When did I get the flat? Half way down the M4 in the roadworks! :roll:
That, my friends, is the law of sod!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Bonkers said:
In 32 years of driving I've only once got a flat whilst driving.
Had a Citroen with under-car wheel storage. That got knicked so when I bought a replacement I kept it in the boot. Needed all the room I could get when transporting my son to Exeter Uni - so took it out. When did I get the flat? Half way down the M4 in the roadworks! :roll:
That, my friends, is the law of sod!
PMSL!!! I agree Bonkers, why compromise day to day life and boot space for the rare occasion that you may suffer a puncture? In my 29 yrs of driving I have suffered 3 punctures all of which were slow due to nails or screws and didn't warrant putting on a spare. Likewise a fourth puncture on my motorbike again a nail with no catastrophic deflation, got to garage over inflate and was fine for a couple of hundred miles till home at repaired. My bike also carries a repair sealant and cartridge inflator kit, not used yet!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Only suffered it once while on an actual journey. A68 north of Newcastle on one of the hairpins descending into the Scottish Borders. Someone had dropped their rear silencer box which was on the road as I approached it. Saw it late because it was about 11pm and dark. Aggregate lorry coming towards me so no opportunity to swerve. Just had to take as much speed off as I reasonably could and hit it - burst my N/S front the and buckled the rim.

Having unloaded all of our gear from the boot since we had been away, mounted the spare in the pitch dark with only the intermittent light from the hazards to help me align the spigots. Dropped the car down and realised that I hadn't checked and inflated the spare for months (it was our second car that Mrs A used normally since mine had been taken in for repairs). Limped to the Shell Station at Jedburgh about 40mls away on 20psi.

I now carry the inflatable can (not that this would have repaired the shredded tyre in that instance), torch, gloves, a warning triangle and check my tyre pressures regularly at home with a mini compressor inflator that AutoExpress tested a couple of years ago and gave five stars to - about £25 if I recall.

Will be buying the temp spare at £155, makes sense really. Whether the issue is enroute or at home.

Have a nice day.

Arianne

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The inflatable can of gunk can effectively destroy the old tyre, many tyre places won't touch fixing a puncture if this stuff has been used as they have to clean all of it out as it stops the puncture repair. So if your tyre costs £250 the £155 temp spare is good value, carrying it after the event is ok unless you are fully loaded.

Many years ago (mid 90's) I was passenger in a 911 Porsche, the one with the big fat rear tyres and rear wing. We had puncture and the temp spare was fitted, looked really silly. I then became passenger with the full size wheel in the cab.... not much fun I can tell you, I have more room on my morning commuter sardine train!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Returning home three days ago we found a Volvo XC60 on the road outside our house waiting for recovery, we suggested he pulled into our drive as we are just after a dangerous bend. Both his off-side tyres were completely wrecked, obviously he must have hit something, yet had no idea what and we saw nothing when we arrived a bit later. No inflatable can or even single spare tyre would have helped!

One advantage of carrying a spare is that it gives you time to get a proper matching replacement. My wife recently had a puncture with her RAV4 and was quickly attended by a mobile tyre service, covered by her warranty, but it meant she ended up paying the full price for a non-matching tyre, given a couple of days, even on a space saver wheel, would have meant time to get a matching tyre at half the price.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ good point

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Back to levels of risk and likelihood. My punctures were all repairable and not catastrophic blowouts. All safely plugged and lasted life of the tyre. I agree the gunk gigs up the tyre and should only be used as a last resort. Normally if you have a nail or screw in your tyre it stays inflated for a good day or two, possibly longer.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Travelling along the M25 I had a 70 Mph blow out on my old Audi, it has run flats and saved me, my wife and my two children from being in a serious accident.

I had a spare that I fitted which was a scary time fitting this on the hard shoulder, in the rain under a bridge with lorries and cars going past, got the family up the bank and took my life in my hands to get us out of trouble.

Used the get me home spare tyre and from that moment I told myself if this ever happens again no matter how quickly I want to get home I am going to call the AA.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I had a blow out in my BM at around 70mph a few weeks back. Luckily it was a run flat, perfectly controlled, saved the family, or me hitting anything else.

Of course, no one would let me out of the fast lane, usual Brit motorway mentality, but luckily I got across and drove back 20 odd miles home.

That is the only puncture I can remember for years, just hoping it stays that way....

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
F-Pace S said:
I had a blow out in my BM at around 70mph a few weeks back. Luckily it was a run flat, perfectly controlled, saved the family, or me hitting anything else.

Of course, no one would let me out of the fast lane, usual Brit motorway mentality, but luckily I got across and drove back 20 odd miles home.

That is the only puncture I can remember for years, just hoping it stays that way....
I know it was scary trying to get over to the hard should so I know what your saying.

The problem was with my tyre it was hit by a piece of metal is all I can think did the damage and slashed the side wall so no matter what I had no can of tyre gunk would repair that so I was glad I had a get me home or to the nearest garage spare.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a rear near side blow out on my X-Type many moons ago whilst in the outside lane of the M4 early in the morning. I saw a metal bar lying across the road - too late to do anything about it. Big bang and tyre completely shredded, but luckily very little drama in the car itself! Those motorway hard shoulders are incredibly noisy - not sure I'd have been changing the tyre myself if it had been on the off-side.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Growler said:
I had a rear near side blow out on my X-Type many moons ago whilst in the outside lane of the M4 early in the morning. I saw a metal bar lying across the road - too late to do anything about it. Big bang and tyre completely shredded, but luckily very little drama in the car itself! Those motorway hard shoulders are incredibly noisy - not sure I'd have been changing the tyre myself if it had been on the off-side.
Fortunately mine was near side like yours otherwise there was no way I would risk my already self to do an off side wheel.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
Growler said:
Fortunately mine was near side like yours otherwise there was no way I would risk my already self to do an off side wheel.
Mine was near side too, no spare to change too, so wasn't even in my thought process. I have changed an offside before on the hard shoulder, never again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts