Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my F-Pace last week, excellent dealer handover, 4 days of driving and everything absolutely fine so far, touch wood.

Decided to go for a day trip yesterday and used up all the fuel given by the dealer, up to the point where distance to empty was just 1 mile. Filled it up to the very top and the pump read 49.5 litres.

The vehicle info says it has a fuel tank of 60L. I just wondered, is the 10.5 litres spare capacity a bit too much back up for fuel risk takers like myself, or could the distance to empty method of measurement be inaccurate (no idea how this gets measured/calculated).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi ive driven around on empty for 15 miles, not that i intended to do it, ive herd from a landrover technician that if you empty the tank and the car runs out there is the chance of slight damage to some components due to a missfire you get as it runs out, hence why maybe such a large reserve.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Letting your tank run low is bad practice, it allows any sediment in bottom of tank to enter fuel filter this can cause engine running problems, in a new car shouldnt be any sediment but it depends how good fuel is your filling up with

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Sanqhar said:
If the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank the risk of sediment is the same whether full or empty.

Tom
I'm sure they are on a float, that said surely the fuel filters job is to stop crap entering the delicate engine components?

·
Registered
492 Posts
CarlFRZ434 said:
Sanqhar said:
If the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank the risk of sediment is the same whether full or empty.

Tom
I'm sure they are on a float, that said surely the fuel filters job is to stop crap entering the delicate engine components?
The less fuel in the tank, the more sediment concentration getting to the filter, this will prematurely clog filter and could cause engine running problems. Yes fuel filter is there to stop crap entering engine components, but you would need to change fuel filter more often if it was filtering more crap to stop filter restricting fuel flow and causing running problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts