Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have read the previous thread on this and am not totally sure about it, so apologies for being stupid!

Having spent 10 years in my VW Touareg with sensors on all the time unless you turn them off i am used to turning into my drive and getting close to my wall and sensors being on to guide me in. Always worked a treat and never been annoying in traffic. I have spoken to the dealer who i think advised this is not how they work and again i think he said they couldn't work like my VW. Driving for a week in the new car i really do miss having them on all the time rather than turning them on when i get to a tight bend or drive way with a wall being very close.

Can anyone advise if what im looking for can be done or what the best option is?

Cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bad news I am afraid. Your dealer is correct they do not operate all the time. When you get to a position where you want/need them you have to hit the button - unless you engage reverse, when they will stay on all round even if you engage drive and stay below 10mph or so. not sure how long for but you get the idea.
On my mercedes, and it seems like your VW they come on at the front everytime you go below 10 - 15 mph, and the rear when you engage reverse which is in my opinion ideal - but JLR know best.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pos.k said:
Bad news I am afraid. Your dealer is correct they do not operate all the time. When you get to a position where you want/need them you have to hit the button - unless you engage reverse, when they will stay on all round even if you engage drive and stay below 10mph or so. not sure how long for but you get the idea.
On my mercedes, and it seems like your VW they come on at the front everytime you go below 10 - 15 mph, and the rear when you engage reverse which is in my opinion ideal - but JLR know best.
my Audi worked like my FP i.e. not on all the time.

my mates new C-Class are working all the time (maybe its just a Merc thing) as does his accident warning thingy (can only be disabled after about 8 menu screens and reengages every time you re-start the car), that is really annoying , car in front is turning left, you are in a line of cars behind it, you get closer ready to speed up after he turns off, the cars behind doing the same and the by jingo the failsafe cuts and brakes the car as you are trying to accelerate, cue sudden braking behind and horn blowing... my friend detests this feature..... that said his auto lights work much faster than the FP ones do.... he is on his 15th Merc and hates the electronics on this new one...... in his words the nannying has gone to far.... :D ;)

i have noticed that JLR expect you to be "more in control" the reversing sensors kick in at half the distance to an obstacle than my Audi did meaning i now use my mirrors a lot more actively than i did in it.

and as i have said on here before as the fuel waring light seems to come one with approx 1.25 gallons lest that means i have a 25 mile range.... it even expects me to pay attention to the fuel gauge....

i found these changes awkward at first but now its second nature.....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Wife's 308 are on all the time too. Word of warning about the FP ones though, just make sure they are working. Mine said I was still clear to drive, common sense cut in and I stopped disbelieving the sensor....i was 35mm off a fence!!!! Just one of the ICTP issues!!

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pos.k said:
Thanks for this, I did read something about holding down the parking sensor button for 8 seconds?

Anyone tried this? If so does it help?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
How do you turn on front parking sensors easily ? I've not really noticed it to be honest and got a good handle where the front is and of course when reversing into a very tight space it kicks in.
Be good to know for future though

So many little things I've still not seen, used or noticed.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jasonfpace said:
Pos.k said:
Thanks for this, I did read something about holding down the parking sensor button for 8 seconds?

You are indeed correct there's a few threads on here with XF drivers (with older infotainment) saying you could permanently turn front sensors on by holding the button down. Tried it on FP and doesn't work. Also tried it on my Evoque and didn't work so not sure if it only applied to certain XF models which would seem odd.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
How do you turn on front parking sensors easily ? I've not really noticed it to be honest and got a good handle where the front is and of course when reversing into a very tight space it kicks in.

Press the shortcut button that's permanently showing on your ICTP screen! Shall I pop over and show you how to use the ££££ options you paid for. We could hit some local speed humps for fun ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
CarlFRZ434 said:
Wife's 308 are on all the time too. Word of warning about the FP ones though, just make sure they are working. Mine said I was still clear to drive, common sense cut in and I stopped disbelieving the sensor....i was 35mm off a fence!!!! Just one of the ICTP issues!!
That's seriously close, you rely on these sensors as its a big car with hard to judge front and rear and when the sensor is not working its not good, wonder what Jaguar would say if you turn up with a damaged car and say the sensors did not work correctly sort out my damage.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Agreed, BMW are not on all the time either, reverse and forward below 10mph for parking, but you can press a button to put them on

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Mbadger77 said:

Press the shortcut button that's permanently showing on your ICTP screen! Shall I pop over and show you how to use the ££££ options you paid for. We could hit some local speed humps for fun ;-)
Might as well. I've got a few left to find I think. Haven't really thought about the front sensors and not really needed them yet when not engaging reverse :)
I'll have a look next time.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just had a look. Yes it's there just never thought I needed it.
Also found the create playlist like this option on the media player !!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
Agreed it's very useful IF the SSD was bigger than 10GB!!!

As it's not I am keeping my collection on a USB drive, which doesn't have the create playlist or voice control function .. really is half baked. Shame. It appears the SSD is not upgradeable which is stupid. It would not have been too much work to allow the plugging in of a USB drive (after all they went to the trouble of supporting high speed USB 3.0) to expand the internal SSD like many other systems do. In going only 90% of the way there they've made it 0% useful for me.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Mbadger77 said:

As it's not I am keeping my collection on a USB drive, which doesn't have the create playlist or voice control function .. really is half baked. Shame. It appears the SSD is not upgradeable which is stupid. It would not have been too much work to allow the plugging in of a USB drive (after all they went to the trouble of supporting high speed USB 3.0) to expand the internal SSD like many other systems do. In going only 90% of the way there they've made it 0% useful for me.
Only 10GB - pathetic. You would think with the cost of the ICTP they would put in a 250 or 500Gb at least. A good 500GB SSD I can buy for around £100 and flash storage no matter what form for this sort of thing isn't expensive. I've only put 150 songs on via the USB stick but thought they would have around 200Gb min. Even a 100GB for pity's sake.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
JLRnumber5 said:
Mbadger77 said:

Only 10GB - pathetic. You would think with the cost of the ICTP they would put in a 250 or 500Gb at least. A good 500GB SSD I can buy for around £100 and flash storage no matter what form for this sort of thing isn't expensive. I've only put 150 songs on via the USB stick but thought they would have around 200Gb min. Even a 100GB for pity's sake.
I was under the impression the hard drive in the car for the ICTP was bigger than 10GB more like 60GB , might have to look in to that, certain the salesman said 60 when i was picking up the car.

·
Registered
948 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jasonfpace said:
Pos.k said:

You are indeed correct there's a few threads on here with XF drivers (with older infotainment) saying you could permanently turn front sensors on by holding the button down. Tried it on FP and doesn't work. Also tried it on my Evoque and didn't work so not sure if it only applied to certain XF models which would seem odd.
It worked on my 2015 RRSport so maybe some systems in the JLR range were older than others. I've educated myself to turning them on with approaching a wall etc when in the FP.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Back to the original topic

Just be certain that when you press the button to activate the front sensors, it remains lit and doesn't flash. If it flashes it is NOT operational, this is a known issue connected with the ICTP issues.

Just to be absolutely certain, I normally engage reverse gear, which automatically activates the front and rear sensors without fail.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Russell said:
Just to be absolutely certain, I normally engage reverse gear, which automatically activates the front and rear sensors without fail.
Yes without fail.... unless the ICTP has had a wobbly in what case NO. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.