- It seems to default to OFF (on the dash screen) whenever i turn the car off
- the Options section always shows it as on

Any ideas?
Thanks
MC

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you not have to press the button to activate the front sensors when driving forward, obviously when reverse is engaged all sensors are activated automatically, this is the common protocol.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a freelander with front and rear sensors, they are all active as soon as you put in to reverse at bellow 7 mph, so if you then go forwards they are active after a reverse movement... If you just go forwards they don't make a sound unless you manually activate 1st other wise in traffic they would be bleeping all the time as they pick up at approx 2.5 Mts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Habxxx said:
Exactly as above. On our XF you had to press a button near the rear view mirror or reverse first.

It actually makes sense when you think about it.
Sorry but I must disagree!

On my C-Class Mercedes they are active any time you drop below about 15mph.
This means that even in traffic if you are close to the car in front you can see on the indicators how close, or even swinging in to a turn and need to be clear you are OK to go it is a great help.
The F-Type however is as described here, and to my mind is counter intuitive.
How difficult would it be to make it selectable?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Have to say my XF has front sensors that are virtually useless. If you drive into a parking space they never go off you have to select reverse even if you don't need to! Then if you back away from an object after they have gone off they carry on even though I'm in reverses so clearly not going to hit the object in front, crazy logic by people who don't think.

This morning my 37 month old XF decided the rear camera wouldn't work. I'm buying the FPace in spite of my XF experience not because of- Jaguar are fortunate as their cars alway look nice and drive nice but fall behind most other manufacturers in reliability. It's never major car failures but the goodies that break. I hope I don't reject ihe FPace inside 30 days because of it's failings.... It is a possibility given my Jaguar experience and trust me I will walk for the slightest failing part.... "In pursuit of perfection" was their slogan once so they had better deliver on a £50k car or it goes back.

A 5 year warranty as standard would be fair given the buying price but it would bankrupt Jaguar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Guys, this is a really simple one. On all JLR products, front parking sensor only turns on when you push the parking sensor button. Rear activates automatically when you turn on the reverse gear. In the image below it is the second button from the right on the bottom row of virtual buttons. This is all covered in detail in the manual at: http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2017/T29870/20869_en_GBR/proc/G1882464
Vehicle Wheel Plant Audio equipment Aircraft

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not all JLR products my XF is just as described.... Useless logic built in no manual override whatsoever.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pos.k said:
Habxxx said:
Exactly as above. On our XF you had to press a button near the rear view mirror or reverse first.

It actually makes sense when you think about it.
Sorry but I must disagree!

On my C-Class Mercedes they are active any time you drop below about 15mph.
This means that even in traffic if you are close to the car in front you can see on the indicators how close, or even swinging in to a turn and need to be clear you are OK to go it is a great help.
The F-Type however is as described here, and to my mind is counter intuitive.
How difficult would it be to make it selectable?
So it "beeps" all the time your in a traffic queue? That would be so annoying!

·
Registered
115 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
Have to say my XF has front sensors that are virtually useless. If you drive into a parking space they never go off you have to select reverse even if you don't need to! Then if you back away from an object after they have gone off they carry on even though I'm in reverses so clearly not going to hit the object in front, crazy logic by people who don't think.
So there is no manual activation button available in your XF?

That is silly...

·
Registered
208 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
Not all JLR products my XF is just as described.... Useless logic built in no manual override whatsoever.
On your XF the Parking Aid button is on the ceiling. You push this so the yellow light goes on before you pull into a space and it will activate the front and parking sensor so you hear the beeps, even without selecting reverse. For full information, see the Parking aid section of the XF manual at https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=413426&groupId=1655#6a611486-c3c6-4545-94b9-07d484e2659a!!2!215.

I have used this functionality on X-types, XFs, XKs, RRE and RRS, and it behaves identically in all, only the location of the button differs. If it isn't working well for you, your parking aid system may be faulty in your vehicle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
RaVolVoR said:
So there is no manual activation button available in your XF?

That is silly...
The XF selector is behind the front interior lights

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had assumed it would have such a button, would be a stupid omission, just a case of owner not knowing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
Pos.k said:
So it "beeps" all the time your in a traffic queue? That would be so annoying!
No, as I approach the car in front the indicators at the base of the windscreen start to light up sequentially, and only when up to the last couple does it beep, but they are active. sometimes a cyclist or pedestrian passing very close will make it beep, but overall it works really well - rears only come on when reverse is engaged

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd imagine the FP is the same system as used in my RRS and in it the fronts only activate when you either select reverse or press the 'parking sensor' button. The wife's Golf automatically activate below a certain speed just as Mercedes and yes I find it annoying in stop/start traffic jams to the point I deactivate them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pos.k said:
No, as I approach the car in front the indicators at the base of the windscreen start to light up sequentially, and only when up to the last couple does it beep, but they are active. sometimes a cyclist or pedestrian passing very close will make it beep, but overall it works really well - rears only come on when reverse is engaged
I cannot remember now if it actuated like that on my 2010 ML or not, thinking about it though I cannot recall having to press a front activation button, then again the Merc I think is unique in having the "KITT" horizontal lights in the cabin front and back.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
Pos.k said:
I cannot remember now if it actuated like that on my 2010 ML or not, thinking about it though I cannot recall having to press a front activation button, then again the Merc I think is unique in having the "KITT" horizontal lights in the cabin front and back.
The Cayenne had the same setup with the lights front and rear, quite backwards by today's system but did the job.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.