Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped the FP off for what might turn out to be an extended stay at the dealers this morning, and hopped into their loaner 2.0D XF.

Couple of observations after a quick drive back from Croydon to Wimbledon.

1. Shocking build quality on a car with 277 miles on the clock. A couple of pieces of door trim not clipped in place properly, sunglasses holder won't close, far more scratchy plastics than in FP, buzz and rattles from door trim. However the gloss black detail to the 'riva hoop' with Jaguar logo looks much nice than in FP and the speaker covers are proper jobs. Oh and the instrument binnacle is padded and stitched. Still the FP definitely much nicer place to be.

2. The 2.0D has loads of get up and go. Quite impressed, but oh the noise. Really? I do hope the FP has better sound deadening. It's dreadful.

3. Has the standard ICT. Feels very mickey mouse compared to the ICTP. Decided to forgive the ICTP foibles. Those of you who have selected ICT - go take a look at a car with ICTP. I know it's a big upgrade, but I think if I had a choice between say 22" wheels or ICTP - I would choose the latter. Forget the mood lighting, cup holder covers, rear seat levers, etc, etc. Go for ICTP.

4. Very very very comfy. None of the jittery bouncy stuff going on in the FP on low speed urban streets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting observations. Can't comment on the trim bits falling off! But concur on the ride. I've driven a couple of XEs with the 2.0 diesel engine and one f pace. Yet to be convinced. The ride on the the XEs and XF is second to none. I also really like the 240 petrol in the XE. Hope the ingenium petrol replacements find their way into all of the jaguar range.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJC1971 said:
Interesting observations. Can't comment on the trim bits falling off! But concur on the ride. I've driven a couple of XEs with the 2.0 diesel engine and one f pace. Yet to be convinced. The ride on the the XEs and XF is second to none. I also really like the 240 petrol in the XE. Hope the ingenium petrol replacements find their way into all of the jaguar range.
I had the 240 (Ford) petrol engine in my Evoque. Cracking engine with pretty terrible fuel consumption, but would have gone for it again if they'd ported it to the FP. Very much enjoying the V6 diesel in the FP though so not complaining.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a 2011/12 XF and had a new 2016 version as a loaner while mine was in the garage for some work and though the new one had lots of new stuff on it the quality of the interior was definitely a step backwards, still a nice drive though.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
4. Very very very comfy. None of the jittery bouncy stuff going on in the FP on low speed urban streets.
Don't forget you are talking about a low centre to gravity car against a high body SUV so I would be shocked if the car was not slightly better but I must say I find the Fpace ride not bad to other SUV cars I have owned and driven.

Maybe its where people are coming from a car to the SUV Fpace that they are noticing the difference which I would be shocked if you do not.

But overall the Fpace is not bad for a SUV.

Just my view.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As done (to death??) in other threads there is definitely something very weird about the low speed urban ride when the FP can really get thrown about (compared to any SUV - I've been driving them 10+ years solidly) ... the XF doesn't do this at all. That was my observation.

G

·
I did the same observation with an XE and today in an XF sportbreak.
Hope they will find a solution this week on my FP.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Really strange as I do not have any of the issues you mention.
Are you anywhere near SW London would love to meet up to compare. I'm sort of getting used to it but I no longer have a cup of free coffee from Waitrose for the drive home. It ends up in your lap!!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Are you anywhere near SW London would love to meet up to compare. I'm sort of getting used to it but I no longer have a cup of free coffee from Waitrose for the drive home. It ends up in your lap!!
Sorry I am not, down near Brighton and the place is full of speed humps and uneven roads where the Fpace seems at home and fine to me, no different to my Evoque used to.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
It's not just slightly better ride it's got a large multiplier on ride quality and improvement. (Not handling - ride comfort)
I'm used to the over bumps and cracks in road but it s the rear back forth lateral wobble bounce that's going on.

With a load in back on normal it actually swayed on the suspension left , right left right like a jelly wobbling under its own inertia as the weight swayed back the other way, I'd honestly say it was dangerous - this was at 10-15 mph

It's booked in.

I also went on an XF today and it's a world apart - I know wheels are 2 inches bigger - height is much higher , more travel , more gravity etc
The newer XFs are a step down in quality I'd say and your right the ICTP - GO WITH PRO - every time you can - it's amazing and the screen size is fantastic.
My 2010 XF was a dream to own. Just like the F PACE if you can go 3 litre if you can. I had the 3.0S diesel and it was a beauty - I drove an XF loaner in its 2.0 guise and thought it was pretty average engine wise and the gearbox was jumping around all over and the 2 litre tractor engine wasn't great - this was the 2015 and not the new model.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Sorry I am not, down near Brighton and the place is full of speed humps and uneven roads where the Fpace seems at home and fine to me, no different to my Evoque used to.
If you move about in the seat left to right does that move the car suspension even with engine off ? Have you cleaned / polished the car - does it move when near front or back ?
Just wondering if we can quantify a direct example of how much it should and does move.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Bizarre. I know Brighton very well spend a lot of time there and yes those sort of road surfaces are exactly the kind that throw my FP side to side and up and down unlike my Evoque. Might PM you next time I am heading down.

Makes me think therefore that it is something that can be software adjusted. How do we check?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
If you move about in the seat left to right does that move the car suspension even with engine off ? Have you cleaned / polished the car - does it move when near front or back ?
Just wondering if we can quantify a direct example of how much it should and does move.
Is it worth it for you to arrange to book their 3.0 DS demonstrator for an hour on the day you drop yours off and see if you can get it to do the same as yours bouncing wise?

I didn't experience anything like is being described on this thread on the two extended test drives I did in it, including many speed bumps of different shapes and sizes.....

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Bizarre. I know Brighton very well spend a lot of time there and yes those sort of road surfaces are exactly the kind that throw my FP side to side and up and down unlike my Evoque. Might PM you next time I am heading down.

Makes me think therefore that it is something that can be software adjusted. How do we check?
Yes drop me a PM.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
Just popped to the car to try, Unless I am not trying hard enough but with or without the engine running there is no real side to side movement.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Mig said:
Mbadger and JLRNumber5: did you get the k383 update?
Don't know - checked my vin against what you mentioned and it's not in range. Only bought start of sept so it was late August build

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
Mbadger77 said:
Just popped to the car to try, Unless I am not trying hard enough but with or without the engine running there is no real side to side movement.
Ok just went out - putting hands just above and before rear lights and giving a small shove the car moves a small amount. It wobbles about 4/5 times like a jelly. You can feel the car pushing back then towards and back again
This of course is sort of normal as its a heavy car on top of springs . The wife's quashqai does a similar thing but isn't as strong in the secondary and third movement,

It sort of reminds me of the big issue I had with a load in the boot that at low speeds it "wagged" the the car like a tail wagging the dog

Anyway don't want to derail the thread about the XF and start a suspension thread again !!! Many pages already on this
I'll update end of next week on my suspension and other issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts