Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Fpace Vs XJ Vs XF Vs Disco Sport

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  luminated 
#1 ·
OK, my car has been spenind some time at the dealer and over the time away i have had the following cars

Jaguar XJ S
Jaguar XF S
and currently Disco Sport SD4

So i thouhg i could compare some of the items on each against the Fpace.

To Start with the driving experience, without question for a SUV the Fpace knocks the socks off all of them, the XJ and XF are very good but the four wheel drive in the wet makes the Fpace a more sure foot drive and the Disco Sport is a little lifeless in steering and feel which is a disappointment as my previous car was an Evoque and i thought the drive would be similar.

Suspension wise the Fpace, XJ and XF all fell similar on the Dynamic setting and as the Fpace is a SUV then Jaguar have done a good job here, i have always said the engineering side of the Fpace is very good, the Disco Sport is not in the same league i am afraid.

Interior, the Fpace again wins hands down, the XJ and XF just did not make me feel i was in a Jaguar and i am afraid my old Audi A4 had a better interior, the Disco Sport again was no better, the position of the in-car screen is at a very strange height and angle and the reverse camera is wall off to one side, maybe an issue with just this one perhaps, the Fpace is so much better with placement of the screen and its controls, the only thing that is similar in them all is the steering wheel.

So thats 3-0 to the Fpace so far.

Now here comes the downside to the Fpace.

Without question there is something not right with the stereo setup in the Fpace, the XJ, XF and the Disco Sport all have better in car stereo setups and the XF and Disco had the basic system which still knocked the socks off the Fpace 825 system, the sound is better balanced, the speakers do not rattle and the bass is much better and feels more around you.

So overall the only thing that lets the Fpace down in the car against the other three is the stereo, could not compare like for like on the ITCP as the others all had the basic system which was a shame as it would have been could to compare that side.

Looking forward to getting mine back and seeing with the issues resolved if i can start to enjoy the car i brought.

My advise is, if you do not want your Fpace then do not look at these three cars as your be more disappointed then the Fpace as i feel the driving of the others does not come close to the driving experience of the Fpace.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting to hear, but if I do end up returning the FP then I will not be looking at another JLR product as they are all using the same technology - the off road is brilliant but the in car is, so far, not ready.
I will most likely go back to mercedes - The reason I came away was for the tech in the FP and because the dealers around here are rubbish - but the cars (4 in total over 15 years) have been bulletproof (not literally bulletproof, but you know what I mean!) I liked the disco sport when they arrived in the showroom, but the tech at the time was a halfway house and they told me a newer version was on the way, and then I saw them on the road and they didn't appeal to me 'in the metal'.
I like the XJ - for me it delivers the Gentlemans Club interior, whereas I think the FP and XF miss this standard.

#3 ·
I'm in a disco sport having moved from a BMW M235i due to the dog coming on the scene, and I really don't enjoy it. It feels slow and lifeless on the road (although people who drive 'normal' cars say it's quite quick for a big car). Where the disco really comes into its own is off road. I drive defenders regularly and although the disco is not at this standard of ability it is surprisingly close. No, it is not as good as the FP but it really is a different kind of SUV.

#4 ·
Just caught up with this thread fella and again seems where I feel the cars should be. The FP whilst being an SUV is not a comfortable softroader due to its driver bias and reverse comments for the DS! Totally different SUV's!!! JUST WISH JLR HAD'T SHAGGED UP THE ICTP!!! That would be easy!!!! FP all the way! I need time out though ;)

#5 ·
CarlFRZ434 said:
Just caught up with this thread fella and again seems where I feel the cars should be. The FP whilst being an SUV is not a comfortable softroader due to its driver bias and reverse comments for the DS! Totally different SUV's!!! JUST WISH JLR HAD'T SHAGGED UP THE ICTP!!! That would be easy!!!! FP all the way! I need time out though ;)
Yes I know where you are at, I have emailed my dealer with the latest issues found and told them to ensure there is not similar issues as it's pointless giving me back the car if there is as the car went in to have the reverse issue resolved.

Won't be looking at these three, if I had to change then it may have to be a Range Rover sport. ;)

#6 ·
With ICTP??? I'm taking six months out until it's all sorted then will order either another FP or a Disco 5!!! One's a drivers cars with cheap interior the other more SUV with better interior!! Aaaaggghhh!!!!! Sometimes I wish I had £8k to spend!!!

#7 ·
CarlFRZ434 said:
With ICTP??? I'm taking six months out until it's all sorted then will order either another FP or a Disco 5!!! One's a drivers cars with cheap interior the other more SUV with better interior!! Aaaaggghhh!!!!! Sometimes I wish I had £8k to spend!!!
You say cheap but the reality is the F-Pace has the kind of interior expected for a car costing around £35k, the new Disco's starting point is £8k more so interior materials reflect this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.