Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car nearly three months and 1300 miles. A few niggles and things I don't understand (user error mostly) and may yet have to have some issues (ICTPro) resolved but in the last week or so the car has "changed". The engine (2.0 diesel) sounded a tad rough at first, a lot rougher than the 2.2L 200bhp in my previous XF. But last Saturday I had to do a reasonable journey 25 miles mixed motorway and country lanes in nasty wind and rain!

I only occurred to me on the return journey that the noisy engine wasn't as noisy and the general drive line refinement had hugely improved. The car is now almost silent (which I like, I'm not an engine noise aficionado - I could listen to a 60's US V8 muscle car but only for a few minutes and never on a journey) and the delivery of power was really smooth. There used to be a little bit of harshness. It may not be same as a bigger 6 cyl engine but its pretty damn good for a 4 pot oil burner!

Along with Adaptive Drive mode and gearbox in sport mode the car was really good to drive, responsive and handled well. It also dealt with the wet lanes superbly. Not 100% that the Xenon headlights are as good as the XF Xenon headlights but thinking back now this may be from the different relative driver seating position to headlights, in the XF you sit lower in line with the light from them, in the F-Pace you look down into the headlight illuminate area, it means you don't get the feel of reflections straight back in your face.

If ordering now I'd love to see the LED lights in action before spending the money on them. I'm running standard Portfolio 19 inch rims and they're fine for the car, bigger wheels might improve overall cornering limits but I doubt I'd ever get anywhere near these on public roads anyway, the 19in are fine for my use. I have opening Panoramic roof, some say this might generate creaking noises when there is ice on the car... for the 10 days in next 5 years this may occur, I'll take my chances! I dislike sun roofs normally but this one seems to work and no loss of head room.

The journey was fun and I felt really secure with the whole package. My wife even fell asleep while I was "giving it some welly!" which really means the ride was brilliant! So for those people who are looking at buying/getting an F-Pace, they are fun, extremely practical but just don't expect perfection and really talk to several dealers, see if you can find one that has a clue! I am concerned my nearest dealer isn't good enough but the choices I have are few and far between in that respect.

Note, newly fitted mud flaps /splash guards did a reasonable job of limiting muck on the sides from the wheels but not perfect, they could do better but then they'd look like LR defender offerings, so perhaps not, stock F-Pace items are fine!

PS had a Loan XE last week... anyone 6'2" tall, forget it, I had chronic neck ache after about 10 minutes, really pleased to give it back!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
So pleased about the opening pano, I had hoped as much.

Cannot wait to try the different modes on mine when it arrives...2/3 weeks to go...

·
Registered
453 Posts
1200 miles in 3 months is that all, try 5800 in just over 3 months and dealer ship have had it 4 weeks...... 25 miles is school run for me...lol.
the engine gets quieter and looser and more fun to drive.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've averaged a whopping 5500 miles per year over the last 7 years in my last car :roll:

The break in period is reaaaallly going to drag

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
i'm using half throttle and haven't gone over 3,000 rpm and I reckon I am doing 0-60 in around 7 seconds and cruising at 85-90mph. Can't imagine I'm going to ever do anything else other than run it in!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I average just under 1000 miles per month and when you take out 3 weeks holiday when it doesn't turn a week who ever ends up getting it next year once I trade in they will get a cracker.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had mine 10 weeks, covered over 5000 miles, averaging ~ 36 mpg (3.0 d being driven hard) and had one day back with the dealer to have the creaking suspension fixed.
Overall I love the car and have no regrets about buying it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
F-Pace S said:
So pleased about the opening pano, I had hoped as much.

Cannot wait to try the different modes on mine when it arrives...2/3 weeks to go...
The opening pano is great and the car looks fantastic when it's open. I am a big fan of sunroofs that open and think I have had them on every car except one in the last 20 years, all German or Jap marks, never had an issue with them once.
I have had an issue with this Brit mark already though. With the ignition on but engine not running I tried to close it, when it was almost shut it opened back half way, kept on doing it until I started the car and then shut. The manual does state something about this and it may need to be re-set due to anti-trapping error. Only happened the one time in 7 days of use but another one on the list for the dealer.

Hope the weather stays good for you so you get a chance to use it before winter hits.

·
Registered
142 Posts
RaVolVor

The LED's are indeed fantastic, best headlights I have ever had on a car, more so on high beam. Bet when the facelift arrives in about 3 years time these will be standard across most models with a possible option of laser lights maybe?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Later lights? Oh my god - I didn't even know that was a thing!
Can you cut through metal garage doors with them?
Are they good for using for really large scale presentations - say on a drive-in movie screen?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bonkers said:
Later lights? Oh my god - I didn't even know that was a thing!
Can you cut through metal garage doors with them?
Are they good for using for really large scale presentations - say on a drive-in movie screen?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't think you cut through metal with them, though that would be really cool to get the Sunday drivers out of the way :lol: :lol: :lol: . As far as I know only BMW 7 series has them and maybe the i8 electric thing......3 years it will be common technology

·
Registered
688 Posts
:D I think bonker's comments might have been laced with a sight amount of sarcasm

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeez... I was only saying there are some good things about F Paces they are not complete rubbish they have a bit more substance to them than style!

As for mileage, I know I don't use the car much, had 13 years of doing 15-20,000 pa and frankly don't need the grief anymore! So when I drive I want to be cosseted and enjoy the experience despite the other numpties on the road in silly Corsa's and VW Polo's. So I got a big car because I like big cars, installed a dash cam system so if said numpties hit it, I can do everything possible to prosecute them off the road and back into driving school!

So yes its taken me 3 months to do this tiny mileage and since my car was built early June I am just waiting for rear suspension to creak/groan otherwise annoy me!

Glad to hear the LED lights are good, as for laser lights I think the LED technology principle of light generation is almost the same as "laser" but in a tiny space. It would be good if it were Jonny English Rolls Royce Phantom style and could cut its way out of a garage... expensive on garage doors mind you :)

Very much doubt I'll ever buy another Jag, nothing to do with crap quality control (which is clearly still there from 1970's to date), just that when I retire I don't expect to have the surplus cash to buy one! I may drive my F-Pace into the ground, which will probably be determined by failing electrics and no support (a bit like a brand new Jag really!)...

·
Registered
142 Posts
jinjin said:
:D I think bonker's comments might have been laced with a sight amount of sarcasm
No s**t Sherlock :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

I have had my car approx 1 week, and I absolutely love it. The drive is great, it looks great, it suits me, the sound system is superb, it has plenty of room and the panoramic roof rocks. OK, it's not without faults on a few levels and the dealers were pretty shite - but this is Jaguar Land Rover and anyone expecting perfection especially on a new release should really have done their homework. OK, it's not right from a top manufacturer, but personally my previous land rover and this new beast are worth all the faults because I just love the marque's. Just my personal opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts