Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, when I spoke to my dealer the other day I wanted to know about something I had read about in Auto express magazine few months ago. AE editor was running a RRS with stealth pack which included the 21" alloys, on discovery of a slow puncture took the car in to get repaired. He was told that as theses particular tyres were of a foam lined type... To provide a much quieter ride they could not be repaired in the normal way. Instead of a £30 bill he had to part with £300...ouch. No one had made him aware of this factor when ordering or collecting the vehicle. So I want to know if they are foam lined as this may affect the big decision of spare wheel and in particular wheel and tyre insurance. Maybe if you are reading posts Ryan, you could get this information for us quicker?

·
Registered
50 Posts
On a slightly different topic has anyone experience of the foam repair system if you don't specify a spacesaver spare? I have an Audi with spacesaver (which has to be inflated) which was a total waste of money. When I had a a tyre strip they put on spacesaver but couldn't put the removed tyre in car as it wouldn't even start to go under floor and no room in boot or car as full as I was on a fishing expedition with all my gear. Added to the fact that there was no available correct tyre in Scotland I was stranded for 2 days with only the spacesaver limiting speed and distance until Audi could ship one in.
Hence my inclination is to go for repair system and if it won't work get recovery to ship me to a new tyre.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have asked my son about these foam lined tyres apparently quite a few manufactuers are using them on thier cars now. My son works as a tech for Audi apparently they fit them to the front only on the new RS3 as the wheels are wider on the front than the back!!!, if they are foam lined they will have a symbol like a music note or tuning fork on the side wall... Anyone got a really good close up of a 22" tyre to check. And he confirmed that NO they cannot be puncture repaired and in addition ,on most AWD vehicles that could also mean buying 2 new tyres for the same axle / split drive to limit problems with the sensitive systems monitoring wheel rotation ABS /TC/ASR and the like that will keep throwing up errors as the rolling diameters not the same on new/Part worn tyres (yes some are that sensitive) Glad I am going for poverty model RWD only now... I think? Just trying to keep everyone informed, And if there is any more good news, like more delays or manufactuers foul ups I'll be sure to pass it on. Now where's my beer gone?

·
Registered
410 Posts
There's one of a tyre on an FE from my post 4th March 'London Preview' I've taken a look and cant see such a symbol?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for Looking DAL, better keep quiet about this one then, before someone realises they can make more money out of us.To be fair, maybe jaguar have tuned this car/ tyre/ suspension so well they don't need to quiet it down on the tyres... Not that you will hear it anyway with your aftermarket running mods!! I SAID....NOT THAT...(never mind :lol: ) That grey F pace parked outside the front experiance centre was not ammonite... Turns out that was ingot, the colour with the very subtle gold hint in silver/ grey!, saw an ammonite XF in dealers showroom the other day, but had no black pack for contrast, just have to keep waiting to see my combo I guess!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.