Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not purchasing via finance etc whats the best way to pay the balance when you take delivery, debit card, faster payment?

I'm not due to get mine until late Nov, early Dec & don't really want to pay the balance until the day I pick it up.

For those who have gone through the experience & have their new car, what did you do? Did you have a any delay waiting for payment to go through?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just paid the final balance on a debit card on delivery day, plain sailing, never spent so much money so quickly! Might be best to forewarn your bank though, I did.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Jacksoag said:
Just paid the final balance on a debit card on delivery day, plain sailing, never spent so much money so quickly! Might be best to forewarn your bank though, I did.
Ditto. Rather like popping down to the supermarket but you can't use contactless!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Planning to do the same will let you know Thursday if it goes ok using debit card!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, use your debit card, easy!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Surprisingly debit card no problem. Didn't even forewarn my bank. In some ways worrying it went through with no,problems :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
My dealer had said from day one full payment was needed at least 48 hrs prior to handover. I'm planning on using FPS tomorrow and getting the keys Friday

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a problem with debit card. Offered to pay my dealer HA Fox a week before but was told to leave it and pay on the day. So there was the car with my plates on it and taxed in my name and I still had not paid . Only then did I enter my pin and pressed enter. No problem. Though they had a customer before me who had been there for over 2 hours trying to get his bank to hand of the funds. If you have done transactions like this in the past it will be OK, but if it is a new high value purchase your bank will be hesitant to hand your money over. In this case I would fore warn them. They are only trying to safeguard you assets.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I usually ask them if I can put a big lump on my air miles collecting credit card and get them to waive the fee, then pay it off immediately. £20k done that way gives about 30,000 air miles :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Glad to hear debit card not a problem & good point about notifying the bank in advance.

I can remember asking about credit card when I first went to look at the demo & they basically said no. Slightly different scenario, wasn't thinking about airmiles but cashback. I suppose like any business they all get charged fees for every transaction which they either absorb as an expense or pass it onto the customer, neither great so find it easier just to say no.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My dealer allows up to £3000 with no fee then it's 1.5% but every time they have waived it when I asked and just said I wanted the air miles! Worth a try!

·
Registered
142 Posts
But definitely notify your bank, will be nothing worse than collecting on the day and having the payment rejected and no car! I done a same day payment through CHAPS 3 days before I picked up the car as my bank seems to reject any payment for a few hundred quid than I normally spend.
H A Fox (Inchcape) Norwich told me the payment needs to be made 3 days prior to collection of the car (includes day of collection) as it takes 3 working days for them to get confirmation of payment from head office. However this was bulls**t as within 2 hours of making the payment I received an email from them saying your payment has cleared.
ENJOY!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jonty1625 said:
My dealer allows up to £3000 with no fee then it's 1.5% but every time they have waived it when I asked and just said I wanted the air miles! Worth a try!
Yep, think I will ask again when I'm next in. Any bit of cashback on my credit card is better than nothing as long as they waiver the fee.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ruski said:
But definitely notify your bank, will be nothing worse than collecting on the day and having the payment rejected and no car! I done a same day payment through CHAPS 3 days before I picked up the car as my bank seems to reject any payment for a few hundred quid than I normally spend.
H A Fox (Inchcape) Norwich told me the payment needs to be made 3 days prior to collection of the car (includes day of collection) as it takes 3 working days for them to get confirmation of payment from head office. However this was bulls**t as within 2 hours of making the payment I received an email from them saying your payment has cleared.
ENJOY!
The only thing that puts me off about paying in advance by a few days is if their is something wrong it's more likely to get sorted quicker if the customer hasn't parted with the cash.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Long story £100k paid due to useless LLOYDS BANK and prissy dealer!!! My advice either cleared funds day before or get bank to authorise the large payment on debit card!! Dealer wanted to add 2.5% on payments over £1,000!!! Balls to that!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CarlFRZ434 said:
Long story £100k paid due to useless LLOYDS BANK and prissy dealer!!! My advice either cleared funds day before or get bank to authorise the large payment on debit card!! Dealer wanted to add 2.5% on payments over £1,000!!! Balls to that!!
100K! I'm assuming that must be the "long story" bit. Agree, 2.5% is ridiculous. More & more companies just want to pass the fees on. Imagine if supermarkets or Anazon started doing that!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The day AFTER collection opened letter from Lloyds saying "make any payment to your airmiles card and we will waive the transfer fee and give you zero interest for 36 months." I have £20k credit available on that card. That would have been lovely! THE DAY AFTER. Lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
G T said:
CarlFRZ434 said:
100K! I'm assuming that must be the "long story" bit. Agree, 2.5% is ridiculous. More & more companies just want to pass the fees on. Imagine if supermarkets or Anazon started doing that!
I think you will find charges are relative to the volume of funds transacted throughout the year, typically an amazon or suchlike will be charged a fraction of a percent to use credit cards, this fraction of a percent by the way goes towards paying for your rewards points, whereas relatively smaller companies are charged more for the card companies services. I think if we were on the other side of the fence we would also be passing the charges on if we were totally honest :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Agreed, my company I pass on the cost as it's rare larger payments so as you say fees to the retailer are higher.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Look at Martin Lewis Money Matters paid £5000 of the balance due on 3 D S by credit card on £60000.00 purchase and under the sale of Goods
the credit card affords you protection should things go wrong. Great looking car but far to many faults which is a disgrace on a car at this price,
Tried to buy British Manufacture but if being truthful regret that decision now quality of build/materials in lower parts of the car very poor.
Minor shunt on lower edge of front bumper requires a complete front panel and now have a really large panel gap adjoining the bonnet. The panel
gaps on this vehicle leave a great deal to be desired and reminds me of the British Leyland efforts of the Sixties.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts