Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Center Parcs Woburn Forest this week. That in itself is a joke coz it's not near bloody Woburn, it's closer to Ampthill, Flitwick, Millbrook and Steppingley. In fact it was known locally as Steppingley Woods until CP bought it, it's all about branding I guess?? However I digress!! Had the old F-Pace parked out front of the villa this morning whilst packing to leave. Our villa was opposite the pool so getting lots of foot traffic passing by and lots of head turns, ogling and even one chap took a photo of the car. Feeling chuffed I was just loading a couple more bags into the boot and a bloke came over and said "excuse me, just wanted to say that's one hell of a stunning looking car, gorgeous, love it!" As he walked on.....I thanked him for his kind words he gave a thumbs up! I thought you know what, he's bloody right. I felt so proud and privileged, didn't tell him the ICTP was shit as didn't wanna spoil the moment!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
And so you should be Carl. The F-Pace is a nice car, yours is a lovely combination and I presume you worked hard to get into a position to enjoy it. Keep the flag flying, or flags in your case!

Best wishes and enjoy the weekend. We at least have the joy of the dealer's 3.0d S tomorrow for a couple of hours and we will be taking it to a gorgeous place called St Mary's Loch in the Lost Quarter of the Scottish Borders. Remote, sparsely inhabited and beautiful. It keeps me going through to next March!

Arianne

·
Registered
245 Posts
Life's too short so enjoy the gorgeous car with the interesting ICTP!

I was hoping they may have upgraded mine by mistake when I went to see it for the first time today but no such luck!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arianne, you are going to have the best 2hrs of your life driving that in the borders!!! My kids are mid late teens and one dream I have is my n wifey having a week or so up in Bonnie Scotland and those gorgeous mountains and Lochs.....enhanced with the F-Pace chariot!! That's gonna be a long old wait till March but hopefully gremlins will be sorted by then? Good can be achieved quickly, perfection takes until March!! You may even get it delivered quicker if current reports on early deliveries continue to happen.

Jasonfpace......not long now buddy!!! We want pics on the day!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Agree that this is one hell of a stunning car..... Everywhere I go you can see people rubbernecking etc, and when you park-up, stop for fuel etc then there is always someone who wants to have a chat about it....

Best moment just happened today..... My son is looking to change his Evoque for a Q5 - Went to dealership to take a look and went up in the F-Pace - Had a number of salesmen all wanting to look around and sit in it :D

Best decision I've ever made on a car :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So we took the car out for just under three hours. Took a very challenging country back road through the Ettrick Valley and then through to St Mary's Loch on the A708 (born again biker territory). I really pushed the car on a road I know well.

I learned a few things. Firstly that there is a noticeable difference between Normal & Dynamic modes. Not just gear shift points but suspension, poise and turn-in. Personally I love Dynamic mode. The whole thing is tighter and the car is a joy to drive. Normal is okay but the gear shifts are not quite so slick and the car wallows a little. Still amazing for an SUV but not amazing like in Dynamic.

The trouble is that this was meant to be a trip to convince Mrs A that changing our order to include the 'drop-dead gorgeous' 22" wheels wouldn't ruin the ride comfort. So I couldn't use Dynamic as much as I would wish or push the car too much. Mrs A doesn't really like performance cars when they are allowed off the leash, she vowed never to get back in the Subaru Impreza STi if I ever did a 0-30mph at full tilt again, back in 1999! This time she told me, over a cuppa at lunchtime, that getting up close and personal with the roadside bushes isn't her idea of a day out or being thrown from side to side on the twisty B7009. So had to back off on the return trip along the A708 but such is life. Mrs A said that for her, the F-Pace is about its looks.

However, we did have a Range Rover Evoque pull aside for us - Mrs A said I had been hassling it so they gave up. I said that they wanted to see what the back of an F-Pace S looks like by following it. We also took it off-road if you can call it that - we traveled across some uneven grassy stuff down from the road to the side of the Loch. Did well but, TBH, so did the other cars such as A Passat estate etc.

There were some funny little noises under acceleration, reminded me a bit of listening to a WRC car in full flight. Not loud but just intruding from the engine bay into the cabin a little. But I can live with that as they sounded like the kind of thing a performance car would have! I wonder if it was the same as others have mentioned for the 3.0d? The diesel sounds like a diesel outside but is hushed inside.

On a single track section heading down to the Gordon Arms Inn on the B7009, I came face to face with a mini coach and needed to shave off 50mph in an instant. No problem, including the two nearside wheels that were on the loose gravel and grass verge. Stopped nicely although it was bone dry and backed up using the mirrors and reversing camera.

Today I listened to the Meridian 380w system with an understanding of how Meridian set up their systems - a natural sound rather than heavily enhanced with bass and treble. And I though it sounded good. The key thing I learned today was that it is possible to crank up the volume without distortion because of the balance across the range. It doesn't become oppressive and I liked that.

I also learned that I like the standard ICT and combination of analogue dials and TFT central display. The SatNav was fine and I won't be spending anything on upgrading that stuff or taking any chances on the glitches at the moment.

The demonstrator was the same one that we used before. Glacier white with black pack and 22" double helix black wheels. Not my thing but very imposing and people were staring at the car, it turns heads for sure.

The dealer was fabulous again and can't be faulted.

And so to the final question..... 20" or 22" wheels? We will order the 22" double helix silver/black wheels. Why? They look gorgeous and set the car off well. Speaking as the man that was up this morning at 6:45am to wash our current XC60 and Audi TT for the weekend, I want to look back at our new F-Pace in March 2017 and not regret my choice of wheel choice. But it does come at a price and I don't just mean the money which one soon forgets. I mean the ride comfort. It's slightly better than my passive but stiff suspension on my R-design XC60 around town but not by much. On the open road it is noticeably better but it ain't no limousine. I am sure the 20" wheels would improve things TBH but, even with the F-Pace's fancy configurable suspension, the truth is that life is a compromise. The weight, SUV centre of gravity and desire for a sporty cornering ability means that it is what it is - an SUV, but one of the best handling SUVs I have ever driven and providing a ride better than many hot hatches.

That's it for the configurator then. Mrs A has said this is the last extra and we always make these decisions in partnership - that's how it's been for the past 32yrs of marriage and I am not changing that now.

Great day out, including burger and chips at the little bikers' cafe down by the Loch.

Roll on March 2017.

Arianne

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's great news that you have finally got the spec you will be happy with, and well done to that dealer for taking the time to ensure his customer was put first. :D
Now.... :shock: :shock: :eek: . step away from the configurator :roll: be patience and wait for the machine to arrive :cry: ... or she will have your guts for garters :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An enjoyable read Arianne and very pleased you have settled on your spec with the right wheels for sure!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
"And so to the final question..... 20" or 22" wheels? We will order the 22" double helix silver/black wheels. Why? They look gorgeous and set the car off well."

You have just nailed it on the head :D .... Sit and wait patiently now till it arrives.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts