Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

just a bit of help required .. please all don't get upset as I am really looking forward to my F pace, but for me and my budget I can not stretch to the bigger engined F Paces .. so I have ordered a portfolio 2.0d with some small options.

All was happy until I went with a friend to our porsche dealer in Colchester (I just went along for the ride) but as you know we got talking and the nice dealer man asked what I was ordering and my reply a F pace ... the dealers where fine and said they look like great SUV's and would be watching the market to see how they do etc

Now my issue ... I sat down with them and went through some numbers, and for the same deposit and £50 less per month I can get into a Macan S petrol or diesel (both powerful V6 turbo engines) I also had the following options

Xenon lights
heated seats
rear camera plus parking sensors
Met paint
19 inch wheels

But the final payment is a lot higher then the F Pace, also went onto the Macan forum and they are clearly not without problems .. owners having batteries going flat after 24 hours etc and PDK gearbox issues like hesitation when pulling a way

I love the thought of a F Pace and for one reason or another have never been into Porsches .... And the Jag seems so much more grown up for me, but has got me tempted .. so help needed fellow forum members

regards

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hey Kaspa

You are far from alone I am sure! The other car I was considering was also a Macan S diesel.

I have previously been a Porsche owner (Boxster S) and they are undoubtedly driver's cars. The customer service is also extremely high.

Porsche finance take advantage of those rock solid residuals by giving a very high GFV. Jaguar's is more modest. That means you are likely to have more deposit left for your next car. So don't just factor in the monthly payments (unless you are contract hiring) - you have to look at the overall cost of the car. If you don't like the Jaguar finance option, then shop around. Maybe get some finance quotes for the 3.0d as well and see how far away these are from the Macan.

Personally I decided against the Macan this time as it's too driver focused for me. I *love* the way the Jag feels like a Jag (if that makes sense) and yet has all the sporting qualities you are ever going to need. Are you really going to press the car beyond 90%? How many track days will you take it on?

Also, let's be honest the Macan is a pretty ugly car. Look at them side by side and ask yourself which one do you really desire!

JLRnumber5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

Many thanks for the reply greatly appreciated .. anyway went to the Jaguar dealer today and had another good look round the F Pace which reassured me I have made the right decision .. I do admit I was not 100% sure with the shape of the macan, also on their forum they are not without issue, plus for me I am a big fan of the ZF 8 speed auto box

I will upload some pics as this is the spec that I may change to from silver with black leather .. the grey looks really classy
regards

·
Registered
948 Posts
Having had Boxsters and more recently Cayennes including the latest model I know how Porsche SUVs compared to the F-Pace, in my opinion the Cayenne doesn't drive as well as the F-Pace but in turn the Macan feels more contacted than either but unfornately for it the car is based on the Q5 which means a compromised ride and way too much road noise for this class and price bracket.

The F-Pace hit the sweet spot between driving exceedingly well yet riding like a proper luxury car with similar levels of road noise. Again a matter of opinion but I reckon it's by far the best looking SUVs on sale and offers just the right amount of space to not need picking from the class above.

Everyone needs to weigh up that matter most to them but for me this is the pick of the bunch.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Interestingly I just priced up a Macan S Diesel to the same spec (took some time - boy everything is an option!) as my F-Pace.

My 3.0d on order is £60,260 .. the Macan was £60,490!

Given we can expect very similar residuals (maybe even better on the Jag as it's wearing £9k options as opposed to £14k - who knows) and the running costs of the Jag will be lower, I think it makes it very good value.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I drove the Macan S Diesel and F Pace 2.0 and 3.0 diesels all on the same day.
Of all 3 I liked the FP 3 litre best. It had the best combination of refinement, performance and economy. At motorway cruising speed I found the tyre noise something quite unacceptable and in the end that was the deciding factor for me.
Had it been between that and just the 2 litre FP it would have been closer. If your preference is for comfortable cruising then I think you would be happier with the jag. If you want something a bit sportier and do mostly town driving you may prefer the Macan.
After 5 years of driving a manual BMW 1 series sports coupe, I wanted something more comfortable, but am not quite ready yet to sacrifice the sporty performance. For me the FP 3 litre diesel was the only SUV that I'd driven that ticks all the boxes for me.
I'd tried the evoque, BMW X3, Merc GLC And the above. Interestingly, next best for me was the GLC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replies .. very helpful

we was in the dealer's today for a couple of hours ... 2 cups of tea & a sticky bun .. wife had a toffee waffle :)

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Hey Kaspa,

Nice showroom detail pics of the ammonite portfolio, just like the one I tested a while back which decided me to go for the slightly zappier looking R-Sport in that colour. I never tire of seeing this beautiful big cat :cool:

Very glad to see you weren't lured by the Macan dark-side numbers bewitchery, I don't think you will ever regret going for the FP, it is just so much better looking and just 'classier' in my opinion, but y'know, all I will say is those could be the most expensive free sticky bun, waffle and cuppas you've ever had!!! :lol:

·
Registered
208 Posts
catwoman said:
Cheers!, I thought it kind of appropriate, huh?

But hey . . .
Kaspa said:
Hello catwomen ....
"catwomen!" . . Kaspa, there's only ONE of me, I assure you! :lol:
I just got a mental image of a pack of you prowling over the dealership roofs in the dark of night, spying on your F-paces.

P.S. - you have no idea how hard it is to find a non-sexualized picture of Catwoman on the internet!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
catwoman said:
Cheers!, I thought it kind of appropriate, huh?

But hey . . .
Kaspa said:
Hello catwomen ....
"catwomen!" . . Kaspa, there's only ONE of me, I assure you! :lol:
Hi .. I stand corrected Catwoman ... :)

I see I will have to sharpen my whiskers with you :oops:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyway I would love to post more F Pace adventures, but not possible as I don't have one yet !

So I will have to bore you all with trips to my local dealer .. I have some more pics if anyone is interested ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts