Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming to the F Pace 2.0AWD after 180,000 miles in a couple of Discoverys, (3 and 4) there are some definite pluses and minuses.
1. Agility on twisty roads, mainly due to its light weight. Good steering and RWD type balance. I regularly drive some of the best North Wales roads and it's very at home coping with 3 dimensional corners and bumps. Makes the Germans look inept when bumps are mixed in to the topography.
2. Performance/economy balance, as it's ligher plus better aero.
3. It's more snug, in a nice way.
4. Off road on wet grass it's amazing compared to the heavy Discovery. Bit of a surprise, that one as the ty
5. Door slam and general feeling of quality is good. (but see below)
6. Seat comfort and ergonomics. Boot space
7. 100mph (on an Autobahn officer) feels like 70
8. Subtle, useable-in-the-UK Sport mode. Nicely judged stiffening without being overly harsh.
9. Small but nice feature is that when you select Sport with the gear selector and use the flappy paddles, the gear selected is shown in BIG in the display. Shows real drivers have developed this car as you can see the number without re-focusing.
Downsides:
1. The ride is stiffer. In fact, even with the adaptive dampers, it's floaty at the front compared with the rear at motorway speeds unless loaded, yet jiggly at low speeds. Speed bumps (you can ignore them in a Disco!) need the dampers set to Sport or it bottoms and tops out too easily.
2. I miss the smoothness of 6 cylinders.
3. Ground clearance for proper off-road stuff.
4. Road noise (20" wheels with Continentals). Quite German in this regard.
5. Bonnet flexes in front of windscreen at speed. I know it's light (good!) but a tad of bracing here would make it look solid.
6. Had to pay for a spare. Runflats or normal+spare should be the norm at this price point, but it lowers the weight for the statutory tests.
7. Fuel range no better than the Discoverys due to smaller tank.
8. Visibility poor (thick pillars) so it feels bigger than it is. Discos much easier to place.
9. A biggy for me. My TomTom does the live traffic ten times better than the Jag's standard system. Is the upgraded system better at re-routing around traffic? I guess it's whatever system Jag buys in that's weak. The display is okay and usually fast enough but it does some wierd routing, including up Motorway slip roads and back on again (J19 M62) when the traffic is flowing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Really interesting, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The off road / wet grass is perhaps the most interesting of all for me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the standard InControl gets its traffic info from the TMC built into FM radio broadcasts, which is never that good. The Pro version gets an enhanced service via the internet, like TomTom's Live Services. I'm guessing it's provided by HERE, who do the Jaguar mapping.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Bobcat said:
I think the standard InControl gets its traffic info from the TMC built into FM radio broadcasts, which is never that good. The Pro version gets an enhanced service via the internet, like TomTom's Live Services. I'm guessing it's provided by HERE, who do the Jaguar mapping.
Which is also useless if it can't maintain a data connection!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
richardchandler said:
Thanks for the traffic news feedback. I'd be interested to hear if the Pro version is as good or better than Google maps or Tomtom with live traffic.
Impressively accurate so far. It's taken me on a few detours to avoid traffic that at first seemed really odd but turned out to be brilliant.

·
Registered
458 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
richardchandler said:
Thanks for the traffic news feedback. I'd be interested to hear if the Pro version is as good or better than Google maps or Tomtom with live traffic.
Impressively accurate so far. It's taken me on a few detours to avoid traffic that at first seemed really odd but turned out to be brilliant.
Must agree, when it's working it is really really good. Just need to get some confidence going - looking forward to getting it sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts