Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my F-Type I always use TomTom on my phone rather than the inbuilt SatNav. Could some of you comment on how useful you find the SatNav in the F-Pace, especially as regards avoiding Traffic Jams etc? Also as the F-Pace won't advise you about Speed Cameras how do you get that information?
In my mind it is a pity you can't just mirror TomTom onto the screen but no doubt that has not even been contemplated as it would mean you could also do the same with videos from your phone!!!!
Just been informed that my F-Pace is due to be available at the beginning of February.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you have ICTP (don't know about ICT) it does have speed camera warnings, I don't know how it compares for accuracy with the modern TomTom. On the routes I travel regularly it looks to indicate all those that my TomTom did.

In terms of traffic the ICTP SatNav is supposed to warn about traffic, etc. and offer alternative routes. However to test mine this afternoon I asked it to plot a route from where I was in Coventry to near Glasgow. It produced a route and when I asked for alternatives (an option in the menu) it offered none. What was disappointing was the route it was recommending was right through the closed section of the M6 around juntion 19. I didn't bother checking what my TomTom was suggesting but from my experiences with it over the last couple of years I very much doubt it would have routed me along a closed section of motorway. I did have 3G connectivity throughout the period I left the route active.

Hopefully this is one of the areas that will improve with current and future software updates. I am thinking of mounting my TomTom in the F-Pace to second guess the built in system.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The rerouting has worked for me, any traffic accidents etc it'll normally display a red exclamation mark near the route, haven't had much issues with the ICTP regarding SatNav, and it is pretty accurate on speed camera.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Todays jaunt from North Kent to Wellingborough and back was my first 'proper' trip post ICTP update. The Sat Nav performed ok, clearly notifying speed camera's (and on the M2 / M25 / M1 there were loads!). It might have been where I was and there might have been incidents on other routes but I was delayed 20 mins by an accident/lane closure heading South just before Luton - and there was no notification of this. I was offered 3 routes when setting off but the M1 was shown as the quickest - not sure it was in the end - so the jury is still out on re-routing mid journey...!?

Despite rubbish traffic - and I'm not a dawdler, managed to achieve a score of 98% and 40 MPG so pleased with those stats!

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
FP sat nav is great when it works but mostly piss poor.
Tuesday, I left Mansfield heading for North West, set the route on phone app and it wanted to take me over the top because of the nightmare on the M6. When I got in the car it wouldn't sync the route and couldn't or wouldn't get the traffic so it took me straight into the crap and left me to sort it out.
Useless - worse than useless because you think it is on the ball, when in reality if you knew it wasn't up for it you would take different precautions

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My experience is that it shows all traffic, not sure about rerouting yet, although my dealer showed me how to add in a reroute manually by touching the map where I wanted to go and adding it as a waypoint, so I have rerouted myself where I know...

Speed cameras it does do, and very efficiently so far.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have ICTP and have found the SatNav pretty good - speed cameras all good, traffic updates are ok, not 100% perfect but still the best I've experienced and probably 80-90% good which I think is quite impressive considering what we're expecting from it and how dynamic traffic conditions can be.

It re-routed me today quite effectively on a 300 mile round trip including the usual M25 / M4 / M40 shenanigans (saw quite a few FPs too!).

So far, I trust it quite a bit which I could never say for my previous car (BMW) if there were traffic problems.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Spent 90 minutes stuck in 9 miles of stationary traffic in the M4 this evening after a car leapt over the central reservation near Junc 18. No attempt to reroute took place :-(

·
Registered
161 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Spent 90 minutes stuck in 9 miles of stationary traffic in the M4 this evening after a car leapt over the central reservation near Junc 18. No attempt to reroute took place :-(
:(

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have to say my experience with the sat nav was pretty good.

I was driving back from Basingstoke to Bromley a few weeks back and whilst on the M3 there were plenty of signs saying long delays on the M25 between junction 9 and 8. The traffic up till then were moving along at a decent pace so was a little dubious of the delay. As I got closer to jctn 9 I noticed the ICTP has changed the route and was taking me off at junction 9 and along the local roads and rejoining back at 8... I was quite impressed!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Further to my earlier post in this thread, I am wondering if I was too far away from J19 on the M6 for the SatNav to perform a reroute, as it could quite conceivably have cleared by the time I got close.

On Wednesday I drove from Telford to Glasgow and set up both my TomTom and the ICTP SatNav (not updated with 2.5, in today for that) and to be honest there were a couple of differences in the routes (mainly how to get from Telford to the M6) but nothing to get excited about and both predicted an arrival with minutes of each other over virtually the same route once on to the M6.

What I did notice is that from about J12 to J16 on the M6 the TomTom was warning of speed traps but the car wasn't, up until then and after they were the same. I looked around and there was no gantry cams and in some instances not even a gantry where the TomTom was indicating speed cameras. However there were the poles by the side of the motorway that normally have the traffic monitoring cameras, which sometimes TomTom indicate as speed cameras. It was only after the TomTom indicated about the 3rd or 4th speed camera that I spotted that instead of the traffic monitoring camera on the pole beside the motorway there was a double camera in a small housing (similar to the average speed check speed cameras) that was painted yellow and was very easy to miss! Thereafter I looked when the TomTom indicated the speed cameras and all along this stretch the authorities have mounted these very difficult to see (unless you know they are there) speed cameras intermingled with the expected traffic monitoring cameras off the side of the motorway and out of the drivers line of view, sneaky or what :eek:

On the way back from Glasgow yesterday afternoon/evening the car SatNav kept me out of traffic and routed me off the M6 a few junctions before I would normally expect to leave it and took me along the back roads to avoid traffic. It was a nice excuse to use dynamic and sport mode and was a pleasant end to a long and boring journey following the queues of traffic heading south at high speed on the M6.

So having done a comparison, apart from the fairly new and difficult to spot speed cameras, both systems performed much the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My sat nav (ICTP) works pretty well when it comes to route finding, camera locations, etc. However, the one thing that really upsets me is how it (she?) pronounces place names. For instance it refers to Peterborough as 'Petterborough', Newmarket as 'NMarket', etc.
My wife doesn't help as she starts to laughs at every mispronunciation ( although I must admit that some of the attempts at street names have been quite funny).
I don't know if others have noticed this but it is something that I have never had in a sat nav (built in or not) before now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello

My sat nav in the XE S (ITCP) is very good .. even better now that I have the patch 2.5, but to be honest has always been good from day one

I also have very strong 3G connection, never had a issue .. I use a 12Gb data sim from Three

also front and rear parking sensors work flawlessy, sorry drifting off topic again :)

all the best

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jim said:
What I did notice is that from about J12 to J16 on the M6 the TomTom was warning of speed traps but the car wasn't, up until then and after they were the same. I looked around and there was no gantry cams and in some instances not even a gantry where the TomTom was indicating speed cameras. However there were the poles by the side of the motorway that normally have the traffic monitoring cameras, which sometimes TomTom indicate as speed cameras. It was only after the TomTom indicated about the 3rd or 4th speed camera that I spotted that instead of the traffic monitoring camera on the pole beside the motorway there was a double camera in a small housing (similar to the average speed check speed cameras) that was painted yellow and was very easy to miss! Thereafter I looked when the TomTom indicated the speed cameras and all along this stretch the authorities have mounted these very difficult to see (unless you know they are there) speed cameras intermingled with the expected traffic monitoring cameras off the side of the motorway and out of the drivers line of view, sneaky or what :eek:
Those bad boys are HADECS 3 cameras - https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm - http://blog.rmbauto.co.uk/hadecs-3-speed-cameras-explained/

be weary of them, as it is true they are on all the time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Traffic updates are very sporadic (is that a word?)
Coming up the A1 last week to Leeds it suddenly decided to route me off on the M18 but nothing on any screen said why so I ignored it... turns out there was heavy traffic on the A1 and I should have listened!

On the M6 J19 being closed I was heading that way in the morning after the Coke Lorry decided to do a flip... M60 South going to J19 the Nav was telling me all was fine and there might be a bit of traffic in 5 miles (and the usual at Birmingham in 81 miles). At this point I was sat stationary going nowhere for about 20 mins due to volume of traffic!

Map Font Gadget Sky Screenshot

So it does re-route when it knows about things, but the info it gives you is terrible doesn't let you make your own decisions and "latest" info is a bit out of date IMHO

...p.ps... Does anyone know how to keep the map in 2D North Up mode on ICTP... be boogered if I can find it!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of this info. The main reason for asking was to determine if I need a holder for my phone or if I can just leave it in the cubby box.. I've ordered a Brodit Pro-Clip anyway which fits on the left hand side of the console and which can be easily removed if not required.
Incidentally Amazon have a special offer on a 3 Data Sim which is 24GB for 24 months at £28.40.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts