Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm still dithering on my F Pace order - I'm keen to get something with more oomph than my Audi Q5 3.0 TDI 245bhp. I'm considering the FP Diesel 3.0 or the Petrol SC version. I test drove to the 3.0 FP and it was quite fast but am still waiting on the SC test drive. In the meantime I am also considering the Macan GTS and the BMW x6 M50d, may have to get used models to keep within the £65k spec'd FP SC price. Has anyone driven these models and/or the petrol FP SC and what conclusions they came to regarding performance & value for money?

any feedback much appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jayzeer said:
Hi all,

I'm still dithering on my F Pace order - I'm keen to get something with more oomph than my Audi Q5 3.0 TDI 245bhp. I'm considering the FP Diesel 3.0 or the Petrol SC version. I test drove to the 3.0 FP and it was quite fast but am still waiting on the SC test drive. In the meantime I am also considering the Macan GTS and the BMW x6 M50d, may have to get used models to keep within the £65k spec'd FP SC price. Has anyone driven these models and/or the petrol FP SC and what conclusions they came to regarding performance & value for money?

any feedback much appreciated.
Hi

I am also in the same situation. Loved the test drive in the 3.0 Diesel but just concerned about some of he repeated issues with the car as well as the recall last week. I am planning test drive in Macan S soon and I know I will live it too and it's identical size as my Q5 currently. Would be nice if the F Pace issues are all resolved would make me much happier parting with £60k. I will let you know how the Macan drive goes. Should be in a week or so. Both great cars I am sure but never had any issues in 6 years with all my Audi's so don't want any new ones now.
What did you think of the FP you drove? Interior quality etc as you drive Audi Q5 like me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the FPace interior is ok - i've mainly had beemers and audis, their interiors are more subdued and crisp. FP with ICTP and digital dash with mood lighting gives it the toys and bling that should make up for the more classic style i'm used to. I'm also considering getting the HUD as lots of others in this forum have rated it. Good luck with the test drive.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There's a video in YouTube where a Russian tests the F-Pace SC against the Macan GTS, the Porsche is quicker off the line due to having launch control which the F-Pace doesn't have but I don't think there's a huge difference once on the move.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
My consideration list was:

F-pace 3.0d S
Macan S diesel
SQ5 Plus
X5 M40d

First thing to say is that as a diesel first timer I was astonished by the performance of all four cars. I used to be a petrol V8 man (BMW M3, RRS SC, XKR SC) and then downsized to 4 and 6 cylinder cars. I didn't think a diesel car could be a true performance car, but how wrong was I!

I came to my shortlist by looking in the size category above and below the FP - since it really is in a class on one when it comes to dimensions. I ruled the X5 out early on ... it's not the finest piece of automotive design (the X6 is even worse) and it's probably a great SUV and ticks many boxes but it certainly cannot be called a sports car. Making the ride incredibly hard (M-Sport plus run flats) does not a sports car make!

Of the list about the SQ5 Plus has by far the greatest straight line performance, and by far the best engine sound (it doesn't sound or rev at all like a diesel and feels incredibly strong to the red line) it really is like a train. With the limited slip diff on the Plus it has 'some' sporting pretentions but the steering is way too light. There is almost no feel. It stayed high on my list however due to it being a bargain and I was easily finding up to £7k off list at dealers putting it the same price territory as a 2.0 R-Sport F-pace.

The Macan is incredible. Considering it's based on the above car (but with a detuned version of the engine) it could not be more different to drive. It's so incredibly driver focused, whereas the SQ5 makes the driver feel somewhat detached from the proceedings. It has almost 100hp less (and it feels it) yet A to B is as quick, and more fun. It's really not an SUV though. It's a tallish sports car. If you want a practical sports car, buy the Macan. For me it was too driver focused and wanted to be driven hard all the time. At 'normal' pace it felt twitchy and a lost it's indentity. It's also bloody ugly.

So that left me with the FP ... the fifth JLR product for me.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Personally I loved the Macan S diesel, but the FP tipped it for me. The Macan is a car on stilts as opposed to an SUV like the FP, for example three adults in the back is not doable in the Porsche, and I have two teenage sons. Also the interior in the Porsche is really showing its age now. It handles well but is also not as quick as the FP IMO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your feedback - The Macan does seem like the drivers car & has great performance and the Porsche badge however I just cannot seem to warm to its looks. The BMW (X6) seems like I'm trying to convince myself because of its styling but I'm going to test drive it anyway as the M50d engine is meant to be one of the best in the world. The FP SC will be the one I test last and I'm expecting to be the one that my heart points to...(apart from that bl**dy creaking issue - coming from German cars this would be annoying!).

·
Registered
48 Posts
The x6 may have a fantastic engine but it will not hold the road and go around corners anywhere near as well as the f pace- Bmw only any good in a straight line! Also I took delivery on 18th July and don't want to tempt fate but have not had any problems - so looks like they might have got things sorted on the production

1 - 8 of 8 Posts