Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a different dealer today to check out a White 3.0D S. Initially, a lovely looking car... However on closer inspection a few things were realised.

1) The welding and the door shuts almost look unfinished. I'm no engineer or car body expert but I've had BMW, RRS, AUDI to name but a few and not once have I thought I could do a better job myself. See pics below View attachment 87
View attachment 87

2) I was told by an unnamed informant the upgraded infotainment system is suffering terrible setbacks that won't be rectified for at least a year!!!

3) The :shock: body lines for example when you stand at the front of the car looking at where the bonnet meets the top of the front bumper, the lines aren't a continuous flow of consistent measurements.

4)Plastic inserts on 22" alloys do actually just look like pieces of plastic stuck in the wheel. And on black ally wheels they're still fitting silver valves and caps? Come on Jaguar!!!

5) interior was very spacious and looks like quality, I must admit the leather on the seats did feel very soft but also very thin. And the plastic with netting on the rear of the seats took me back to of being in my dads Vauxhall Senator in 1995.

All in all I feel really disappointed seeing my dream car like this and feel more and more leaning towards another RRS or Porsche purely for the quality of build.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The plastic inserts do worry me. Wheels that are £3400 to buy new (or thereabouts) and you have plastic bits ??
Seen some pictures and don't like it.
The rest I can't comment on as haven't really seen.p but that black plastic doesn't look too great or the finish. Mine is black so won't look as bad but still would like to look at them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mbadger77 said:
The plastic inserts do worry me. Wheels that are £3400 to buy new (or thereabouts) and you have plastic bits ??
Seen some pictures and don't like it.
The rest I can't comment on as haven't really seen.p but that black plastic doesn't look too great or the finish. Mine is black so won't look as bad but still would like to look at them.
Yes I agree in black you probably wouldn't notice them, and guess it wouldn't cost much to get them painted body coloured, I'd just love to know why they aren't already!!

As for the wheels, they do look nice. Only thing is if you kerb them it means getting the wheel refuted and buying new plastic inserts! New pic from today of a good close up

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Humm... I asked question about black door covers?..... Why are they not colour coded... Yep that's right.. no definitive answer!! Also has anyone seen the uk spec silver helix alloys up close as the book etc shows grey inserts, but all the ones in video and pics show a black insert on silver wheels also? Better start warming up the pages on faults and technical!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do hope that door finish in the photo was isolated. Anyone else seeing that on static cars in the showroom and any other quality issues. Plastic inserts on wheels costing that much... :eek:

I did the facility tour today and a great experience. Seeing the FPace, XE and RR all on the same lines was fascinating. Saw the frame being put together (steel (rear) and aluminium (front)) and then the panels and over into another building that received them once painted where engines were installed etc. Very efficient process and I would highly recommend it. The FPaces I saw were destined for USA, France and Australia. They seem to pride themselves on quality but seeing the door finish in the picture has left me in :shock: as the number of quality check stations I saw hard to believe this one was released.

Separately, in one of the test drives they mentioned the number of times the Infotainment system kept crashing....hmmmm

·
Registered
154 Posts
That picture isn't showing welds at all it's showing sealant, the seams are covered with sealant to prevent water and such like. That one doesn't look great and as stated may have be done by hand rather than machine which is the norm,

I'm also not sure the plastic inserts on alloys are a quality issue either more of a design/enginering solution to obtain the look Jaguar was after.

The rear door plastic arch trim covers rivots joints due to double striking of the panel to create the rear shoulder, not painting them is a cost cutting measure (don't forget a base car is £34k), I agree it doesn't look great but you will not see them most of the time and anyone with kids might be grateful for them, it will save the paint work being damage.

The silver dust caps isn't a quality issue either most manufactures give you black caps when you have silver wheels so what's the difference, for the majority of F-Pace owners they will have matching silver caps. Land Rover do the same thing it's a bit daft but certainly not a quality issue they probably cost more to produce than black ones.

The upgraded infotainment system been in the XJ for that last six months so I can't see it being that troublesome and if it is they will have to do a software update on it, most reviews (except the one mentioned about it crashing) have been very positive about the new system saying it's a massive improvment on the old one and up with the best from BMW & Audi.

Not sure what you mean about the body lines except pretty much every review said it stunning and the best looking SUV ever.

Don't be fouled to think Porche are any better. When my Macan arrived in May 2014 (2nd to arrive at the Solihull delearship) the alarm went off 5 times a day, the rear water wash jet leaked everytime the sun came out leaving water marks all over the window and after 1 month of ownership I open the drivers dootr one day for it to collide with the wing and bonnet causing a front end re-spray due to mis-alignment of panels.

And to rop it off they could not get replacement parts from Germany so it sat in the bodyshop for 3 months until they arrived.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Re. point (3) of justant1984's original post (above):

I have noticed there is indeed a slight misalignment issue with the bonnet panel where it meets the front panel of the car. To see it you need to stand directly in front of the vehicle, about 3 or 4 meters away, and scan your eyes along the joint running from right to left across the front of the car; you can see the gap widens and raises slightly towards the left-hand side as you view it. Unfortunately, it wasn't a one-off, it was the same on all three static display models I was looking at earlier this week. A similar kind of thing has been mentioned a few times over on the RRE Owner's forum regarding a misalignment issue with the tailgate. It could be that an easy adjustment is all that's required, but I'll certainly be mentioning it to my Dealer to make them aware of it. Once you've 'seen' something like that, you can't make yourself 'un-see' it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I need to see those wheels in flesh. Those plastic inserts looks awful and I just can't feel comfortable having plastic bits on the wheels. May look nice from distance but I'll reserve any more judgement until I see them but.....damn

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sealant beads and shut lines can (and most likely?) will be corrected as the production line QC improves, happens almost every time on new builds, and a consequence of being "pioneer customers" ;)

The plastic trim is there as stated to cover a complicated double strike fold of the ally panel, most likely leaving surface irregularities that are hard/impossible to avoid.

As for the wheels...black is not a colour for wheels unless covered in brake dust! :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've never bought a car with the intension of picking it up and 'finishing'it myself and certainly not one with a £60k plus price tag!!!... If the quality is in any doubt I'll be walking away and buying an alternative.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have just been to my dealer and checked all 3 of their F-Pace models

The alignment issue was present on one of the cars with the gap growing as you scan from right to left, the good news is the other two was fine so Jaguar should be able to correct it if yours arrives with the issue.

All of the seams (every door checked) on all three cars were perfect so this doesn't look like the norm. I would agree that the plastic moulding from the exterior lower door cap should have been finished off better, you end up with a sharp edge which can be seen when the door is open.

22" wheels with plastic inserts look fine to me, I remember a XF portfoilio I had which had chrome metal inserts on 20" wheels. I had to have them replaced under warranty twice because they tarnished maybe that's why Jaguar have gone for plastic. If the design was a full alloy (no inserts) it wouldn't look the same so maybe using plastic inserts can be justified.

While on the wheels - 22" alloys look so much better than 20" in the flesh. I know the ride/handling might be slightly better on 20" but the 22" alloys do look great.

Rear door plastic arch liner - they look rubbish and should have been painted but I can live with it as I will only see it when I wash the car.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nick said:
I've never bought a car with the intension of picking it up and 'finishing'it myself and certainly not one with a £60k plus price tag!!!... If the quality is in any doubt I'll be walking away and buying an alternative.
Clearly you haven't been at the start of a new model before because such things happen with ALL brands. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
All you guys see only the negatives where as I see the positives, I actually love the idea that there is detachable plastic trim on the Double Helix 22" because it makes it much easier if I decide to personalize my rims by painting these bits a different colour.

·
Registered
55 Posts
luminated said:
Nick said:
Clearly you haven't been at the start of a new model before because such things happen with ALL brands. ;)
Funnily enough last year I bought my wife one of Honda's new models, their HRV...one the first on the road...I was treated like more than just a number by the dealer AND I got a reasonably accurate delivery date from day one. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nick said:
Funnily enough last year I bought my wife one of Honda's new models, their HRV...one the first on the road...I was treated like more than just a number by the dealer AND I got a reasonably accurate delivery date from day one. ;)
The HRV is a replacement model not a NEW model...... big difference, with one you have a reasonably good idea of potential sales where as the other is pure guesswork.

·
Registered
55 Posts
luminated said:
Nick said:
The HRV is a replacement model not a NEW model...... big difference, with one you have a reasonably good idea of potential sales where as the other is pure guesswork.
It may share it's name with a model that was discontinued in 2006 but it is very much a new model not a REPLACEMENT model.....anyway my point is the customer service and information i received from Honda is putting Jaguar to shame. I'm beginning to think their attitude is 'well we've got 25,000 sales in the bag already, take it or leave it'

·
Registered
948 Posts
^When you have a rough reference point to work from like Honda does it's a lot easier to gauge the potential market but this is completely new territory to Jag. I remember when I bought the very first Cayenne, originally my order was with air suspension but Porsche witheld that on the first S model at the start so I either had to like it or lump it the dealer didn't mind either way as he had plenty willing to take my place.

Point being like the F-Pace the Cayenne was new business to Porsche and very much a learning curve as the start. For those of us who have experience of such things it's annoying but you live with it but if you can't you can step aside because there's loads willing to fill your spot and your dealer know it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts