Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two Audi SQ5 and done 30000 in two years with each of them.
Has any one ells gone from SQ5 to a F pace 3.0D V6 S as i am thinking placing an order for one but worried about Fpace performance and reliability

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hi db9go

I'm a fan of the SQ5. In fact I had one on order but cancelled it for the Fpace.

Not sure what output SQ5 you had but there were 313, 326 and 340hp variants. All of them are quicker 0-60 than the 300hp Fpace and the VAG engine is smoother and more petrol like. It's a remarkable unit.

However, it takes more than a good engine to make a great sports car and that's (in my opinion) where the SQ5 falls down. The steering in pretty lifeless and feedback from the road almost non existent. It's a great performance SUV but it's no sports car.

The Fpace is definitely the more accomplished car. Yes the SQ5 would have it in a straight line and yes when it's pushed hard the Ford/PSA engine turns a little agricultural but the way it rides and holds the corners is nothing short of remarkable. It really is an F-type on stilts.

There's a few compromises. Low speed ride is fidgetty and it's not forgiving on lumpy urban roads. My advice is take a 24 hour test drive.

As for reliability. It's too soon to tell. Yes there's been a lot of issues for some owners (myself included) but that's all down to teething troubles with the ICE. That will get sorted.

The engine has been around in various guises for 10 years and it's bullet proof.

·
Registered
78 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi db9go

I'm a fan of the SQ5. In fact I had one on order but cancelled it for the Fpace.

Not sure what output SQ5 you had but there were 313, 326 and 340hp variants. All of them are quicker 0-60 than the 300hp Fpace and the VAG engine is smoother and more petrol like. It's a remarkable unit.

However, it takes more than a good engine to make a great sports car and that's (in my opinion) where the SQ5 falls down. The steering in pretty lifeless and feedback from the road almost non existent. It's a great performance SUV but it's no sports car.

The Fpace is definitely the more accomplished car. Yes the SQ5 would have it in a straight line and yes when it's pushed hard the Ford/PSA engine turns a little agricultural but the way it rides and holds the corners is nothing short of remarkable. It really is an F-type on stilts.

There's a few compromises. Low speed ride is fidgetty and it's not forgiving on lumpy urban roads. My advice is take a 24 hour test drive.

As for reliability. It's too soon to tell. Yes there's been a lot of issues for some owners (myself included) but that's all down to teething troubles with the ICE. That will get sorted.

The engine has been around in various guises for 10 years and it's bullet proof.
I also checked out the SQ5 as part of my SUV research. I really loved the sporty interior and particularly the engine sound which can be changed from the cockpit. It all depends on your needs. The SQ5 ultimately has less space than an F Pace which I require as child number 2 on the way. Also, expensive around £60k for the used model I was looking at. I'm paying £46k for my F Pace (appreciate it's not an S model). Same size boot as an S though!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Actually the SQ5 spec for spec was coming in way under the Fpace. As the current model is coming to an end I got an easy £7k discount on a new SQ5 plus. Ended up almost £10k cheaper than the FP.

Interior beautifully put together but tech very out of date.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts