Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two pronged post....
1. Thoughts on second episode of Top Gear?
2. F-Pace seemed to holdup well?

What I was unsure about was the spec of the car?? Had R-Sport front bumper yet Portfolio interior???

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It was a 3.0d S but not UK spec.

Thought the 'test' was pretty useless since the toughest job mine is going to face is a pavement!

Not sure what conclusions we could draw. Looked great though :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wasn't a review, no explanation of the car at all. They made the Porsche look like a better car with their silly tasks. I was hoping they would have let the stig loose on them round the track at the very least but no such luck.

It looked good however and the Macab is defiantly starting to look dated in its presence.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wouldn't mind having a drive up that road though..... In any of them or even in something else, really looked fun.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Car performed well and was the only one that completed the test with everything working and still in place.

Merc GLC was, as expected hopeless mainly because of the 4 pot, underpowered engine in this company. Porsche Macan was technically a sharper car, as we all expected, but the Jaguar was the better overall and was gorgeous.

A better episode than last week although me and my mates could have delivered a good episode ourselves with that budget, car line up and environment. But that's what we have got now, still a shame that the other three have gone. Roll on the Grand Tour.

Arianne

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not a review of the FP unfortunately, just 3 suv's pitted against each other in the same terrain.
So what did we learn?
1. The Porsche far out paced the F Pace in performance, no surprise with that.
2. All were very capable.
3. Nothing fell off the Jag.
4. The Jag was by far the prettiest.
5. It was not a fair test on the Merc as it was just a 2.0 four pot against against bigger engined V6's.
In summary, a rubbish review of what is a major new car for the industry, that should have had its on review, followed by (in another series) the FP up against the competion.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hard to come to any conclusion regarding which was quickest because they weren't driven by the same person, Matt is easily the quickest driver and was probably in the quickest car so doubt the FP would be the amount slower than the Macan as the program suggests.

So based on the only comparison I can make which is looks I'm very happy choosing the FP over the Macan, it looks way better no mater the angle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
luminated said:
Hard to come to any conclusion regarding which was quickest because they weren't driven by the same person, Matt is easily the quickest driver and was probably in the quickest car so doubt the FP would be the amount slower than the Macan as the program suggests..
Contradicting yourself a little bit there as you have answered your own conclusion. ;)
Although Jag used the Macan as a benchmark it was going to be a tough beast to beat in the performance stakes, however the Macan is one hell of an ugly beast, too small (for my needs) and again ugly!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just confirmed what an awesome car it is to look at! 9th September can't come quick enough!!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ruski said:
luminated said:
Hard to come to any conclusion regarding which was quickest because they weren't driven by the same person, Matt is easily the quickest driver and was probably in the quickest car so doubt the FP would be the amount slower than the Macan as the program suggests..
Contradicting yourself a little bit there as you have answered your own conclusion. ;)
Although Jag used the Macan as a benchmark it was going to be a tough beast to beat in the performance stakes, however the Macan is one hell of an ugly beast, too small (for my needs) and again ugly!
I suppose :lol: but I wasn't really questioning what would be quickest as we already knew that outcome, what I was questioning was the gap between the two. I'd be surprised if it was as big in real life that's all. ;)

BTW did anyone else noticed how throaty the Macan sounded compared to the FP. :eek:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
luminated said:
BTW did anyone else noticed how throaty the Macan sounded compared to the FP. :eek:
The VAG group 3.0 BiTdi engine sounds awesome. Great in the Macan, even better in the SQ5 Plus where it's tuned to 340PS. Way better than many petrol engines. Loves to rev too. It was *almost* enough to temp me into an SQ5 Plus .. that plus the massive £7,000 discount off list, bringing it in at cheaper than a FP 2.0 R-Sport yet capable of 0-62 in 5.1 seconds!

Macan is just so freakin' ugly though ... and has a boot even smaller than my RRE. That alone ruled it out for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As a programme the second episode was actually good, and (if your ignore comparisons with previous personalities) was a typical TG entertainment hour.

The FP, Macan and MB segment was purely (yet again) entertainment, TG has not been a "review" format for a very, very long time...good old Wooly Woollard was likely the last of the "reviewers" you could actually judge a car for the guy in the street by.

The FP came out as reliable, comfortable (in all conditions) and a pretty good drive, the Macan was quick, the MB did amazingly well considering it was a 2L four pot and over the rough stuff was abused by not having the "all terrain" mode employed.

I liked the programme last night and look forward to it getting better.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
As a programme the second episode was actually good, and (if your ignore comparisons with previous personalities) was a typical TG entertainment hour.

The FP, Macan and MB segment was purely (yet again) entertainment, TG has not been a "review" format for a very, very long time...good old Wooly Woollard was likely the last of the "reviewers" you could actually judge a car for the guy in the street by.

The FP came out as reliable, comfortable (in all conditions) and a pretty good drive, the Macan was quick, the MB did amazingly well considering it was a 2L four pot and over the rough stuff was abused by not having the "all terrain" mode employed.

I liked the programme last night and look forward to it getting better.
Agreed . . after I had a fairly mixed response to the first episode, this one was much more like it . . . and thought the FP acquitted itself rather well too!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
catwoman said:
. . . and thought the FP acquitted itself rather well too!
It certainly went round a roundabout far quicker than I am ever going to do .. and very handy to know I can drink my favourite cocktail whilst driving and not spill any.

:shock:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts